GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 07:03   #1226
smoke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 3,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by TcRoc View Post
Update

Ok ,went back to the range,,here is what I found,
look at the 2 mags ,, the one on the left is the one falling out,, the one on the right is new.

The one on the left with the deforming works fine in my stock RTF Frame,but is falling out when fired out of the Proto frame.

The one on the right I just fired 100 accucrate rounds thru 1 target with the Proto Frame posted below with zero issues.

So the wearing on the older mag is the problem,, if a mag is a little worn it may fall out of the proto.
The only thing is it didn't develop the problem til around the 100 round mark
I will use the mag on the right for more testing to see if it holds up.

The SHOT ShowCase
The SHOT ShowCase
The SHOT ShowCase
I doubt the wear on the mag is the root cause of the issue. What you show in the pic is typical wear on the mag release notch and caused by jamming the bottom of the notch against the mag release during reloads. If it works in your stock frame, then it's probably not the real issue. Besides, the wear is on the bottom of the notch and the top is what holds it in the frame. Even with the new mag, you're probably on the edge of a problem.
smoke is offline  
Old 08-17-2010, 13:03   #1227
doodi1
Senior Member
 
doodi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Reston Virginia
Posts: 124
Finally pictures of my build with a Gen 2 Glock 17 upper. The second and third pictures show the way the rails are higher on the Timber Wolf frame and the gap that exist between the dust cover and the slide. BTW, the Glock light and my Surefire x-300 mounted on the TW frame without any issues. I will post pictures of my Glock frame and the same slide in a separate post so you can see the differences.
Attached Thumbnails
The SHOT ShowCase - Click for larger version  

Last edited by doodi1; 12-06-2012 at 11:25..
doodi1 is offline  
Old 08-17-2010, 13:07   #1228
doodi1
Senior Member
 
doodi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Reston Virginia
Posts: 124
Now pictures of my Gen. 2 Glock for comparison. Oops it seems like i have exceeded my abilty to post pictures (too many MB).

Does anyone know how I can attach a few more pictures in this thread?
doodi1 is offline  
Old 08-17-2010, 14:41   #1229
TcRoc
Phillies Fan !!
 
TcRoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthEast, Pa.
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
I doubt the wear on the mag is the root cause of the issue. What you show in the pic is typical wear on the mag release notch and caused by jamming the bottom of the notch against the mag release during reloads. If it works in your stock frame, then it's probably not the real issue. Besides, the wear is on the bottom of the notch and the top is what holds it in the frame. Even with the new mag, you're probably on the edge of a problem.

If a worn mag is falling out and new mags stay in that does tell you something,, the Catch needs to probably catch a little more of the mag,,,seems pretty straight forward and logical to me
__________________
NRA Member
GSSF Member
Glock Certified Armorer
TcRoc is offline  
Old 08-17-2010, 14:46   #1230
JR
GT Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Oldtown Idaho USA
Posts: 3,936
Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
Wear on the top of the notch is a problem. This is the point of contact that secures the mag to the frame.
Wear on the bottom of the notch is caused by over-seating. It is pretty much irrelevant to this issue.
__________________
www.lonewolfdist.com
JR is offline  
Old 08-17-2010, 15:01   #1231
smoke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 3,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by TcRoc View Post
If a worn mag is falling out and new mags stay in that does tell you something,, the Catch needs to probably catch a little more of the mag,,,seems pretty straight forward and logical to me
No offense, but I do Problem Solving for a living and can tell you that what appears straight forward and logical often has nothing to do with the problem at all. There's probably just normal variation in mags that causes one to work and the other not. There is not significant enough wear on the mag in your pic to be causing the problem alone.

If you will read JR's post, I think you'll find he said the same thing I did.
smoke is offline  
Old 08-17-2010, 15:07   #1232
TcRoc
Phillies Fan !!
 
TcRoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthEast, Pa.
Posts: 1,240
NO offense taken ,, I'm no rocket scientist and have been wrong before
__________________
NRA Member
GSSF Member
Glock Certified Armorer
TcRoc is offline  
Old 08-18-2010, 14:56   #1233
solvability
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 72
Is anyone else having trouble getting good groups with the LW frame? I have tried my 17 upper and my 22 upper and neither will group with the LW - both are fine with their respective Glock frames.
solvability is offline  
Old 08-18-2010, 16:27   #1234
WDN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Illinois
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by solvability View Post
Is anyone else having trouble getting good groups with the LW frame? I have tried my 17 upper and my 22 upper and neither will group with the LW - both are fine with their respective Glock frames.
Good accuracy with both frames. No noticeable difference between the Glock and LWD frame.
WDN is offline  
Old 08-18-2010, 17:10   #1235
juicespeare1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by solvability View Post
Is anyone else having trouble getting good groups with the LW frame? I have tried my 17 upper and my 22 upper and neither will group with the LW - both are fine with their respective Glock frames.
I see vertical stringing with the LWD lower compared to my Glock OEM lower using same parts except for the mag release and SF trigger housing.

I stated why I thought this was the case in my previous post. The rear of my 9mm LWD G34 replacement barrel locks up looser in the rear using the LWD frame than when I use the same barrel and locking block in my Glock OEM G34 frame.

I suspect it's because the height of the LWD frame rails are higher than the Glock G34 OEM frame and that's causing the rear of the barrel to lock up lower and looser in the LWD frame.

I really hope they solve this.

Read my other post for more details. In addition, like others here, I also stated in the previous post that the left side frame rails are higher than the right side on the LWD frame. Something JR already acknowledged and should be fixed in the production models.
juicespeare1 is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 19:48   #1236
BCarver
CLM Number 72
Charter Lifetime Member
 
BCarver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 1,191


Quote:
Originally Posted by WDN View Post
Same accuracy with either set for me
I have found the same issue with Glock receivers. After doing some extensive testing, I found the root of the problem with the Glock receivers and will "assume" this could be a possible cause of your test with teh LWD frame. The Glock slide locks have variable tolerances, some will lock up the barrel better than others. Whenever I buy a Glock or we are testing one that does not group, I will change the slide lock and the group changes and tightens up in most cases. If it doesn't, I'll try another slide lock until I find one that performs better. You may want to exchange the slide lock to see if there's a difference in how your LWD frame groups.

My LWD frame with either a Glock slide or LWD slide groups great. Using Winchester white box, I am getting 2" groups of 5 shots at 25 yards.

"Just my 2cents worth"
Bobby
__________________
"Measure twice and saw once"
Bobby Carver
B&B Enterprise
"Home of the CARVER Mount"
www.bb-enterprise.biz
BCarver is offline  
Old 08-22-2010, 14:07   #1237
ChesterCRD
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 44
The magazine release issue seems to get worse with shooting. I have mine in a G22 configuration with a LW slide and barrel. I'm shooting mags with an 8 on the follower because these are the only ones I have in my collection that fit properly (the rest of my .40 mags are all tight). I shot IDPA with this today (has about 800 rounds through it now) and the mag release issue was very bad. It is not me hitting the release when firing. When shooting strong hand only (nothing near the release) it was dropping the magazine every shot.

JR, if you have any suggestions please let me know. At this point, I can't shoot this configuration.
ChesterCRD is offline  
Old 08-22-2010, 14:10   #1238
WDN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Illinois
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCarver View Post
I have found the same issue with Glock receivers. After doing some extensive testing, I found the root of the problem with the Glock receivers and will "assume" this could be a possible cause of your test with teh LWD frame. The Glock slide locks have variable tolerances, some will lock up the barrel better than others. Whenever I buy a Glock or we are testing one that does not group, I will change the slide lock and the group changes and tightens up in most cases. If it doesn't, I'll try another slide lock until I find one that performs better. You may want to exchange the slide lock to see if there's a difference in how your LWD frame groups.

My LWD frame with either a Glock slide or LWD slide groups great. Using Winchester white box, I am getting 2" groups of 5 shots at 25 yards.

"Just my 2cents worth"
Bobby
Interesting. I came accross this thread also. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851754
WDN is offline  
Old 08-22-2010, 18:29   #1239
rsm688
Senior Member
 
rsm688's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 345
1600 rounds through mine so far, I will have to agree with a lot of the others on the problem with the rails beign rough and not in line with each other and on the mag release being WAY too light and dropping some magazines. Also noticed the gaps between the frame and the slide. It just seems like an awful big gap for dust and stuff to get through plus it takes away from the looks to be able to see straight trough the gun when looking from the side. further comments to come


-spencer-
rsm688 is offline  
Old 08-23-2010, 08:17   #1240
Jon_R
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Jon_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterCRD View Post
The magazine release issue seems to get worse with shooting. I have mine in a G22 configuration with a LW slide and barrel. I'm shooting mags with an 8 on the follower because these are the only ones I have in my collection that fit properly (the rest of my .40 mags are all tight). I shot IDPA with this today (has about 800 rounds through it now) and the mag release issue was very bad. It is not me hitting the release when firing. When shooting strong hand only (nothing near the release) it was dropping the magazine every shot.

JR, if you have any suggestions please let me know. At this point, I can't shoot this configuration.
Mine does the same thing. I think the mag release just needs a little more mass where it engages and holds the magazine. Hopefully this is something we can swap out as currently I can't use the pistol for anything other then plinking at the range. Using it at matches with constant concern the mag will fall out isn't a good idea.

My guess is the mag release is just not holding enough of the mag so under recoil it bounces loose.
Jon_R is offline  
Old 08-23-2010, 08:34   #1241
Jon_R
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Jon_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,456
Survey Link

Should the survey link still be accessible? When I go to it there is nowhere to provide the information.
Jon_R is offline  
Old 08-23-2010, 13:28   #1242
juicespeare1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_R View Post
Mine does the same thing. I think the mag release just needs a little more mass where it engages and holds the magazine. Hopefully this is something we can swap out as currently I can't use the pistol for anything other then plinking at the range. Using it at matches with constant concern the mag will fall out isn't a good idea.

My guess is the mag release is just not holding enough of the mag so under recoil it bounces loose.

I agree, the part of the mag release that engages the magazine cutout is too small/little and with the spring pressure being as light as it is, the mags release with very little movement of the mag release.

Also my mag release binds a bit when i press it as the mag release part that the user presses sticks out a bit much and catches the frame body a bit. I can't really explain this well.

EDIT - Let me see if I can explain the last part better. The part of the mag release the user presses on my mag release in the LWD frame extends out too far. The back part of this is a hard right angle and catches on the frame cutout for the mag release. So when I press the mag release it catches on the frame a bit and I have to press hard sometimes to get the mag release to move at all. A bit more plastic on the mag release would fix this.

I rounded that edge every so slightly to help out and it helped a bit but still sometimes I have to press the mag catch button harder than I should have to due to it catching.

In any case, the spring pressure is too little and the amount of material on the mag catch that engages the magazine cutout is too little and allows the mag to drop with very little movement of the mag catch. I think this is a mold issue and can be easily fixed by LWD. The catch material can be beefed up and the pad part of the mag catch can have more material inside where it rides in the frame cutout on the left hand side of the frame (i.e. the round part of the frame cutout).
juicespeare1 is offline  
Old 08-23-2010, 13:44   #1243
TcRoc
Phillies Fan !!
 
TcRoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthEast, Pa.
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_R View Post
Mine does the same thing. I think the mag release just needs a little more mass where it engages and holds the magazine. Hopefully this is something we can swap out as currently I can't use the pistol for anything other then plinking at the range. Using it at matches with constant concern the mag will fall out isn't a good idea.

My guess is the mag release is just not holding enough of the mag so under recoil it bounces loose.
another +1 ..hopefully we can swap out the part,, another 5oo rounds thru mine,, no failures,accurate but mags are dropping
__________________
NRA Member
GSSF Member
Glock Certified Armorer
TcRoc is offline  
Old 08-23-2010, 21:58   #1244
LLL
Senior Member
 
LLL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by TcRoc View Post
NO offense taken ,, I'm no rocket scientist and have been wrong before
I can vouch for that, hes wrong alot.LOL
but a hell of a good shot.
LLL
LLL is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 04:34   #1245
TcRoc
Phillies Fan !!
 
TcRoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthEast, Pa.
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
I can vouch for that, hes wrong alot.LOL
but a hell of a good shot.
LLL
Its a Mental Thang!!
__________________
NRA Member
GSSF Member
Glock Certified Armorer
TcRoc is offline  
Old 08-26-2010, 18:22   #1246
doodi1
Senior Member
 
doodi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Reston Virginia
Posts: 124
JR, has anyone other than me pointed out the issue with the gap between the dust cover and the slide. My gun has the opposite problem of a "Pig Nose". I call it the "Alligator Mouth"! Please see post 1227.
doodi1 is offline  
Old 08-26-2010, 19:42   #1247
JR
GT Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Oldtown Idaho USA
Posts: 3,936
Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
I didn't notice until now. The for-end seems to have dropped away? I don’t have any explanation for it?
Remove the slide and place it upside down on a table (rails on table). This way you will be able to measure the distance it curves.
__________________
www.lonewolfdist.com
JR is offline  
Old 08-29-2010, 14:04   #1248
WDN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Illinois
Posts: 541
JR,
Does anybody make a stiffer mag release spring? Any other options to increase the pressure it takes to operate the mag release?

Thanks,
WDN
WDN is offline  
Old 08-29-2010, 20:34   #1249
JR
GT Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Oldtown Idaho USA
Posts: 3,936
Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
You can visit a hobby store and pick up different weights in piano wire.
FYI: We are developing the round mag release with a thicker side. This should resolve any & all accidental drop issues. Should be available in 3 to 4 weeks.
__________________
www.lonewolfdist.com
JR is offline  
Old 08-30-2010, 11:03   #1250
juicespeare1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
You can visit a hobby store and pick up different weights in piano wire.
FYI: We are developing the round mag release with a thicker side. This should resolve any & all accidental drop issues. Should be available in 3 to 4 weeks.

JR,

Can you send me one of those when it's ready to test? I'm really having problems with the one I have currently.

Thanks
juicespeare1 is offline  
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 21:01.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,419
462 Members
957 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42