Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-13-2011, 18:27   #1
catalyst686

Finished my first lower!!! PICS

I got a call this morning saying my spikes lower was in at my FFL, I was worried the nylon hammer and some other tools wouldn't arrive at my house until later in the day (UPS estimated a late afternoon delivery). I walked out to head to my FFL and my box of tools was there, nice! I got to the gun shop, checked out the lower, and it looked awesome to say the least. I then waited about 30 minutes to be approved by the government to carry a what can literally be described as a hollow piece of metal.
The only trouble I had with the build was hammering the trigger guard roll pin and the bolt catch roll pin in. I did everything without a vice grip block, just free handed, which I was told would cause frustration by everyone, of course, it did. I managed to get away with only a tiny, maybe 1/16th of an inch scrape from the punch slipping out of my hands and hitting part of the bolt catch cutout. Overall I was pretty surprised it didn't look like hell after I was done. Like I said before, this is my first lower, or for that matter, first anything I have built weapon related. I will admit I'm good at completing tedious tasks, but I really think anyone interested enough and willing to learn and take advice can do it. It took me about 3 hours, this includes taping, running around the house looking for different tools, banging the **** out of the roll pins, and so on.
I have a few questions, the video I used as a reference had full auto markings in which he was able to switch the safety selector to by pushing it all the way to the right, mine will only go to semi, is this normal? I am only able to engage the safety when the hammer is locked back, is because I don't have an upper attached? Or is this a problem? Thanks for the help, and thanks to everyone in my previous thread on "tools needed to build a stripped lower" and another thread that was titled something along the lines of "want to build my first AR.
I should have my lightweight Daniel defense upper (16" with 12" Omega X rail) by next week to complete the rifle.
PICS!!!
Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum
catalyst686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 18:38   #2
DD26
Anti-Anti

Congrats! It looks good.

I remember my first lower assembly. It was pretty satisfying to take a stripped lower, a bag of small parts, a stock and PG......and turn it into a complete lower.

Besides the money you're saving by doing that, it's also fun and gives you more insight as to what's going on inside a lower and how things work.
DD26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 18:49   #3
kc lefty

Sir,

Can you please post a spec sheet for your lower? I am looking to building one exactly like yours.

Please include what parts makers, where you bought them from and how much.

You can PM if you like.

Thanks for your time.

Lefty

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalyst686 View Post
I got a call this morning saying my spikes lower was in at my FFL, I was worried the nylon hammer and some other tools wouldn't arrive at my house until later in the day (UPS estimated a late afternoon delivery). I walked out to head to my FFL and my box of tools was there, nice! I got to the gun shop, checked out the lower, and it looked awesome to say the least. I then waited about 30 minutes to be approved by the government to carry a what can literally be described as a hollow piece of metal.
The only trouble I had with the build was hammering the trigger guard roll pin and the bolt catch roll pin in. I did everything without a vice grip block, just free handed, which I was told would cause frustration by everyone, of course, it did. I managed to get away with only a tiny, maybe 1/16th of an inch scrape from the punch slipping out of my hands and hitting part of the bolt catch cutout. Overall I was pretty surprised it didn't look like hell after I was done. Like I said before, this is my first lower, or for that matter, first anything I have built weapon related. I will admit I'm good at completing tedious tasks, but I really think anyone interested enough and willing to learn and take advice can do it. It took me about 3 hours, this includes taping, running around the house looking for different tools, banging the **** out of the roll pins, and so on.
I have a few questions, the video I used as a reference had full auto markings in which he was able to switch the safety selector to by pushing it all the way to the right, mine will only go to semi, is this normal? I am only able to engage the safety when the hammer is locked back, is because I don't have an upper attached? Or is this a problem? Thanks for the help, and thanks to everyone in my previous thread on "tools needed to build a stripped lower" and another thread that was titled something along the lines of "want to build my first AR.
I should have my lightweight Daniel defense upper (16" with 12" Omega X rail) by next week to complete the rifle.
PICS!!!
Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum
kc lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 19:14   #4
catalyst686

Spikes stripped lower with color fill came out to be around $115.00 http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/...ings-p-52.html
Got a palmetto lower parts kit with magpul parts for $129.00
http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/598.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc lefty View Post
Sir,

Can you please post a spec sheet for your lower? I am looking to building one exactly like yours.

Please include what parts makers, where you bought them from and how much.

You can PM if you like.

Thanks for your time.

Lefty
Old 01-13-2011, 19:16   #5
catalyst686

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD26 View Post
Congrats! It looks good.

I remember my first lower assembly. It was pretty satisfying to take a stripped lower, a bag of small parts, a stock and PG......and turn it into a complete lower.

Besides the money you're saving by doing that, it's also fun and gives you more insight as to what's going on inside a lower and how things work.
I have a nice feeling of satisfaction for sure, I originally ordered a complete lower and then changed my mind at the last minute. I'm glad I did because I got the custom parts I wanted which would have ended up costing a lot more later on.
Old 01-13-2011, 20:25   #6
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Way to go brother!! It looks good.

A.J.
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:47   #7
KDawg0007

Congrats on your first build. I just built my first too. It's a bear without a vice. How many times did you launch the detent pin?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Old 01-14-2011, 05:56   #8
catalyst686

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDawg0007 View Post
Congrats on your first build. I just built my first too. It's a bear without a vice. How many times did you launch the detent pin?<o:p></o:p>
Surprisingly enough it never happened! It came pretty close to but I managed to get it in there and put it together on my first try!
Old 01-14-2011, 06:17   #9
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Awesome.......just a tip. If you do not have a tool for the pivot pin's
detent pin & spring, put the receiver in a gallon size zip lock bag.
If the detent launches, the bag will retain it.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:34   #10
mjkeat

And practice your blinking reflexes. If youre anything like me youre going to take a detent/spring to the eye at some point.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:11   #11
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Safety glasses are a must,.......
I've seen to many guys with only one eyeball in the aircraft industry.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:02   #12
KK40384

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
And practice your blinking reflexes. If youre anything like me youre going to take a detent/spring to the eye at some point.
And keep your mouth closed also. My detent flew out and landed in my mouth
Old 01-14-2011, 14:56   #13
catalyst686

Can anyone tell me about the safety selector question I had?
"I have a few questions, the video I used as a reference had full auto markings in which he was able to switch the safety selector to by pushing it all the way to the right, mine will only go to semi, is this normal? I am only able to engage the safety when the hammer is locked back, is because I don't have an upper attached? Or is this a problem?"
Old 01-14-2011, 15:07   #14
mjkeat

Normal
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 15:39   #15
kc lefty

CAT,

Thanks buddy. That is all I need to know.

Lefty

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalyst686 View Post
Spikes stripped lower with color fill came out to be around $115.00 http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/...ings-p-52.html
Got a palmetto lower parts kit with magpul parts for $129.00
http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/598.php
kc lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 15:49   #16
catalyst686

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Normal
Alright, I thought I was going to have to go through hell taking is apart, thanks!
Old 01-15-2011, 21:54   #17
dc2integra

congrats it looks great
dc2integra is offline   Reply With Quote