Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-13-2011, 22:31   #1
JokerOne

Can you build an AK-47 from parts like an AR-15?

Just wondering if its legally possible to build an AK-47 from scratch with US/other parts like you can with an AR-15. I know at some point with the AR building process you need to register it as a gun. Not sure all the details, but I guess what I was wondering if you could do the same with an AK?

Oh, I also mean from pre-made parts. I dont' want to make my own receiver with a drill press, etc.
JokerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 23:05   #2
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Yes.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:01   #3
tx787

Yes the biggest issue is that you don't have companies putting out lots of quality build parts for the AK like you do for the AR. Also, you have to ensure 922r compliance.
tx787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 13:25   #4
voodoomanx
Large Member

theakforum.net is a huge group of AK lovers. Lots of info there.

NECC #2001, Kalashnikov Klub #2001, 1911 Club #2001
voodoomanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 16:19   #5
rcbif
Lock "N" Load!

The main difference is that AR's are assembled and AK's are built. Building an ak even with a complete receiver is much harder than assembling an AR.
rcbif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 17:19   #6
MisterPX

As long as you have the right tools for the job, I've found no difference myself.
Old 01-14-2011, 17:25   #7
jdavionic
NRA Member

Yes, but the best way is to build from a de-mil'd parts kit. In these kits, the receiver is flame cut. The amount of work in building one is similar to an AR in that it depends on how much you want to buy complete vs. make yourself. For example, do you want to buy a complete receiver, make it from an 80%, or make it from scratch.

The parts kits are pretty expensive now and finding one with an original barrel is quite a challenge since the BATF rules changed requiring the barrel to be cut too. However you can find kits with a US made replacement barrel.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 17:39   #8
JokerOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
Yes, but the best way is to build from a de-mil'd parts kit. In these kits, the receiver is flame cut. The amount of work in building one is similar to an AR in that it depends on how much you want to buy complete vs. make yourself. For example, do you want to buy a complete receiver, make it from an 80%, or make it from scratch.

The parts kits are pretty expensive now and finding one with an original barrel is quite a challenge since the BATF rules changed requiring the barrel to be cut too. However you can find kits with a US made replacement barrel.

I would want to build my completely from a kit. So a complete receiver would be preferable. Is it possible to build one from US parts without too much expense so I don't break any 922 rules.

thanks
Old 01-14-2011, 17:58   #9
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

Just a couple of things to point out....

The point at which the AK becomes a "gun" is already predetermined, just as with an AR-15. The actual gun is the receiver because it is the main serial numbered part. When you buy a stripped AK or AR receiver, you do the paperwork on the receiver. Everything else you can buy directly through the Internet, if you wish, without any sort of registration paperwork.

As for 922r, that law simply states the AK can't have more than 10 parts (from the list the BATFE says make up a total AK) that are foreign. You don't have to build an AK from 100% US parts.
Old 01-14-2011, 18:22   #10
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerOne View Post
I would want to build my completely from a kit. So a complete receiver would be preferable. Is it possible to build one from US parts without too much expense so I don't break any 922 rules.

thanks
The gentlemen in the previous post (Carlos) is probably the MOST knowledgable individual on AKs here. I believe he has already addressed part of your questions.

WRT buying a 100% receiver...you can buy them from a variety of sources. Here's one source
http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm

However it appears that you're looking for a complete AK kit that you get everything required to build an AK. I am not aware of any complete AK kits out there. Doesn't mean they don't exist...just I haven't seen them.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 20:05   #11
CBennett

Yes if you have the tools...so while you CAN do it its not as easy/simple as building a AR. By the time you invested in the tools and such you could probably buy one cheaper..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 22:51   #12
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

JokerOne, I get the feeling you may be trying to apply AR building to an AK. The AK and AR are just two vastly different animals when it comes to builds. The methodology to build each is vastly different as are the starting points. They share nothing in common when it comes to assembly.

Really, to build an AR from scratch, all you really need are some common hand tools, a barrel wrench, torque wrench, and a receiver clamp.

In the case of a simple, stamped AK, you could start out anywhere from a flat that will need a press, special tools to bend the receiver correctly, and welding equipment, to a ready receiver (bent, guides welded in place, and heat treated). From there, you'll still need a rivet tool, jig for the trigger guard rivets, press, and steel or iron scrap to hold the receiver while the barrel is being pressed in. Finally, while most ARs are ready to go after being built, AKs usually require having the receiver finished.

Last edited by CarlosC; 01-14-2011 at 22:51..
CarlosC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:44   #13
Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
Yes if you have the tools...so while you CAN do it its not as easy/simple as building a AR. By the time you invested in the tools and such you could probably buy one cheaper..
This is pretty much the way things are now for someone entering the hobby from scratch.

I generally only look for completed rifles these days,..... and be very picky what you buy and who your buy from. There are a lot of unqualified people cranking things out these days. Even established builders have built some bad examples in the last couple of years.

V.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 18:42   #14
JokerOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
This is pretty much the way things are now for someone entering the hobby from scratch.

I generally only look for completed rifles these days,..... and be very picky what you buy and who your buy from. There are a lot of unqualified people cranking things out these days. Even established builders have built some bad examples in the last couple of years.

V.
can you recommend a vendor for a good ak?

thanks
Old 01-15-2011, 18:43   #15
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerOne View Post
can you recommend a vendor for a good ak?

thanks
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storecategory90.aspx

Old 01-16-2011, 19:21   #16
Nicoroshi
Avid Shooter

Don't know where you're at but around here people host build parties where all the tools needed along with some knowledgeable builders will be present for your use for about $40. This includes blast cabinets, and park tanks for finishing the completed rifle at the build party.
Might wish to see if that kind of thing happens in your area if you'd like to build one.
numbers matching Romanian 'G' kits with original barrels are still available at 'what a country', and gunthings.
These kits have chrome lined bores, and are in excellent condition. I helped a friend build his first yesterday.
Test fired today with '0' issues.
Treat each accordingly.
21 Club #150 California Glockers #150 Kalashnikov Klub #150 Black Rifle Club #377
Nicoroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 20:31   #17
JokerOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoroshi View Post
Don't know where you're at but around here people host build parties where all the tools needed along with some knowledgeable builders will be present for your use for about $40. This includes blast cabinets, and park tanks for finishing the completed rifle at the build party.
Might wish to see if that kind of thing happens in your area if you'd like to build one.
numbers matching Romanian 'G' kits with original barrels are still available at 'what a country', and gunthings.
These kits have chrome lined bores, and are in excellent condition. I helped a friend build his first yesterday.
Test fired today with '0' issues.
Build Parties. I love it!

Well, the women get baby showers. We need something too.

I'm going with an interarms AK from Atlantic arms. I think its just about what I want, and a good price.

thanks to all who helped.
Old 01-16-2011, 20:32   #18
JokerOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post

Thanks! Really!

I'm going with the Interarms AK. Its just what I was looking for. A few steps up from the Romanian ones but not expensive like the Arsenal models.
Old 01-16-2011, 20:44   #19
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
Thanks, bud! I like the Centurion pistol. Looks to be waayyyyyy better than a Draco....
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 00:36   #20
Nicoroshi
Avid Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
Thanks, bud! I like the Centurion pistol. Looks to be waayyyyyy better than a Draco....
Interesting......Although I have a question.
How does one adjust for windage or elevation with a solid front sight post like that?
Might look cool but epic fail in the functional department IMHO.
Treat each accordingly.
21 Club #150 California Glockers #150 Kalashnikov Klub #150 Black Rifle Club #377
Nicoroshi is offline   Reply With Quote