SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2011, 17:45   #1
filthy infidel
100% Infidel

TCP/IP connectivity monitor freeware suggestions-

I got a call from pops today that their internet connection is intermittently crashing, they are running Time Warner RR with a Dlink Wireless router. I would like to set up a monitor on both the wired PC and the wireless laptop before I begin going around and around and around with Time-Warner. They have an older Surfboard modem and I've seen them take a dump intermittently without going completely TU.

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2011, 17:51   #2
kc8ykd

you could use some software like What's Up Gold that basically pings addresses you tell it to and alerts when it can't.

the other thing you can do is give him a shortcut to the dlink's web page.
instruct him to hit that link when his internet connection stops working. if the page comes up, then the dlink is working enough that it's web server is running and is probably good and you can commence working with RR to fix whatever the root of the problem is (either the modem or something further upstream).
kc8ykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 19:31   #3
Toyman

Can you clarify what you mean by the internet connection "crashing"? Error message or just not being able to connect? Wired, wireless or both?
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 20:13   #4
filthy infidel
100% Infidel

Connectivity intermittently lost. They don't know if their wireless router or the cable modem is failing. I installed InSSider on their laptop and called the cable company to run a hard reset on the modem. Download speed was 330Kbps... cable company says there is indeed a current known issue in the area and that they're working on it.....