Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2011, 19:43   #1
Bill G

GG&G Forend I like it Simple

I like my defense shotgun simple and effective not a grip of Tact Cool stuff that is not needed. I am not a big fan of ghost ring sights on shotguns as they effect your up close side to side vision in my opinion drawing your eyes to the rear sight. I do like rifle sights with night sights installed. This set up allows sights in the same position as your hand gun would be and do not effect your up close vision and allow for longer sighted shots for slugs or buckshot (Not to offend anyone or start a keyboard war this is just my opinion only)

The GG&G forend with the rail is a perfect light mount in my opinion light, strong and effective not bulky like the SureFire forend set up, don't get me wrong the SureFire set up is a awesome rig and a super set up but it is heavy.

Take Care All,
Bill G
Attached Thumbnails
Tactical Shotguns - Click for larger version   Tactical Shotguns - Click for larger version  

Last edited by Bill G; 01-14-2011 at 19:44..
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 19:57   #2
jbirds1210
Willwork4ammo

I am also a fan of the GG&G forearm with rail. I like that they used a quality speedfeed LE pART for the base and didnt try to reinvent the wheel. JD Mcguire issued some great advice about the part - wrap it up with some weather stripping to save your left index finger. Full house loads will slam the corner of the rAIL into the quick of your finger..it hurts like hell, TRUST ME!

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
jbirds1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 20:24   #3
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbirds1210 View Post
I am also a fan of the GG&G forearm with rail. I like that they used a quality speedfeed LE pART for the base and didnt try to reinvent the wheel. JD Mcguire issued some great advice about the part - wrap it up with some weather stripping to save your left index finger. Full house loads will slam the corner of the rAIL into the quick of your finger..it hurts like hell, TRUST ME!

Jason
Thanks for your advice and opinion on this as we can learn from everyones experience. GG&G does make good stuff did you notice that Clint Smith with Thunder Ranch recommends or endorses this forend setup on GG&G white pages on there web page also in the pic of him you see him useing the TRL 1 weapons light on a few of his diffrent shotguns. I trust Clint knows what he's talking about. I also had a set up similar to the GG&G forend on another Rem 870 with a Wilson Combat 3 rail forend on it. I do understand there is a picany rail on the end of the forend and to be aware of that. I do find this set up to work just fine for me.

Take Care All,
Bill G

Last edited by Bill G; 01-15-2011 at 15:27.. Reason: Spelling/ forgot some info
Old 01-14-2011, 20:57   #4
wesw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
I like my defense shotgun simple and effective not a grip of Tact Cool stuff that is not needed. I am not a big fan of ghost ring sights on shotguns as they effect your up close side to side vision in my opinion drawing your eyes to the rear sight. I do like rifle sights with night sights installed. This set up allows sights in the same position as your hand gun would be and do not effect your up close vision and allow for longer sighted shots for slugs or buckshot (Not to offend anyone or start a keyboard war this is just my opinion only)

The GG&G forend with the rail is a perfect light mount in my opinion light, strong and effective not bulky like the SureFire forend set up, don't get me wrong the SureFire set up is a awesome rig and a super set up but it is heavy.

Take Care All,
Bill G
Bill, How much lighter is the GG&G forend vs. the Surefire forend? I'm looking at adding a light to my 870. The Surefire 618FA is my top candidate but I don't want to end up with a boat anchor.

Thanks.

Wes W.
wesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 21:05   #5
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesw View Post
Bill, How much lighter is the GG&G forend vs. the Surefire forend? I'm looking at adding a light to my 870. The Surefire 618FA is my top candidate but I don't want to end up with a boat anchor.

Thanks.

Wes W.
I cant say for sure but it is pretty noticable to me. The GG&G is about or the same weight as the shotgun in normal configeration plus the weight of the light you choose to use on it.

Take Care All
Bill G
Old 01-14-2011, 21:34   #6
wesw

So lighter and cheaper. From what I've seen the Surefire 618FA is $290. The GG&G rail is $89, Mounting ring is $17 and G3 flashlight is $92 for a total cost of $198.

What light are you currently running on your set up?
wesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 22:10   #7
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesw View Post
So lighter and cheaper. From what I've seen the Surefire 618FA is $290. The GG&G rail is $89, Mounting ring is $17 and G3 flashlight is $92 for a total cost of $198.

What light are you currently running on your set up?
Take a look at the pick above. I prefer the Streamlight TRL 1 weapons light over a tactical flashlight mount. It's strong, shockproof, light weight, and low profile. It's easy to take on and off the weapon plus it features temperary on off steady on off. This is easily done by useing the tip of the endex finger. Cost $75.00 to $89.00 for the GG&G and $99.00 to $119.00 for the TRL 1 weapons light with the LED bulb depending on who you by these items from. (Also you can remove the light if not needed and your shotgun pretty much goes back to normal without a big bulky forend on it.

Take Care All
Bill G

Last edited by Bill G; 01-14-2011 at 22:20.. Reason: forgot info
Old 01-14-2011, 23:29   #8
Victoriagotagun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
GG&G does make good stuff did you notice that Clint Smith with Thunder Ranch recommends or endorses this forend setup on GG&G white pages on there web page also in the pick of him you see him useing the TRL 1 weapons light on a few of his diffrent shotguns. I trust Clint knows what he's talking about.
I noticed that he is using a decked out Vang 870 with probably either a surefire or ergo railed forearm with a TLR 1 instead of the GG&G one.

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45

Last edited by Victoriagotagun; 01-14-2011 at 23:46.. Reason: Opps meant TLR instead of TRL
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 23:42   #9
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriagotagun View Post
I noticed that he is using a decked out Vang 870 with probably either a surefire or ergo railed forearm with a TRL 1 instead of the GG&G one.
That is true, I think it may be a Nighthawk Custom or Vang with the Wilson Combat or Surefire forend like I had on my other Rem 870 with a TRL 1 mounted the same way. If you look at some of Clint Smith short training tapes on You Tube you will see the TRL 1 light mounted a few diffrent ways on a few diffrent shotguns he has, most on the forend on one side or the other. GG&G shows on there web page left and right hand shooter forends for the Rem 870 & the Mossberg shotguns.

(Clint Smith exact quote that I was talking about Below)

( Clint Smith quote /= I would rather see what I was shooting at rather than randomly be throwing rounds around the house. GG&G’s new well made and thought out 870 forearm flashlight mount resolves many of the light issues for 870 owners/users. Although not in full production as yet, I understand a similiar light mount for the Mossberg 500 and 590 is about ready to be released by GG&G.

Take Care All,
Bill G

Last edited by Bill G; 01-15-2011 at 14:26.. Reason: spelling & info Add Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:47   #10
Hydra-SHOKz

The Speedfeed/GG&G forend works great. I run a X300 on mine.
Hydra-SHOKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:47   #11
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra-SHOKz View Post
The Speedfeed/GG&G forend works great. I run a X300 on mine.
I agree 100% and the X300 is an awesome little weapons light for this application.

Take Care,
Bill G