GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:38   #1
ctaggart

Building my GF an "all around" hunting rifle.

Tell me what you think about this.

I'm putting together "Jack of all trades, master of none" rifle for the lady friend. It's going to be a T/C Encore Pro hunter frame purchased from StrattonCustom with trigger work. The barrel I got is a Match Grade Machine full bull chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm having a hanger bar made and the front forend adapted to mount on the hanger bar. It's going to be topped with a Leupold 4.5-14x40 CDS with 2 custom turrets.

The reason I went with the 6.5 Creedmoor is because it's such a flat shooting cartridge which has enough oomph for whitetail but you could get away with groundhog hunting with it as well. The price is right too. It's basically a sister cartridge to the .260 Remington but the .260 ammo is at a minimum, $10 more a box.

I think the Leupold with CDS is going to make it easier for her to make longer shots, which will mostly be while hunging whistlepigs.

Hell, I might just give her my Remington 700 and use the T/C for myself. I'm pretty pumped to get this thing up and running.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:22   #2
noway

Should be interesting and that cartridge is minor in recoil and report. I have a SR mauser in 6.5swede and the ballistic is about the same, but the creedmoor gives you a slight edge, nope let me say a big edge over the swede.

I 'm surprise you didn't look at the TC new rifle lineup ( icon ) which iirc is chambered in a creedmoor. Either way you go, I bet she would be very impress.

Qs: Why a bull barrel and how many weight ?

Qs: what are hangers ( not understanding that term ) ?
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 14:44   #3
ctaggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
Should be interesting and that cartridge is minor in recoil and report. I have a SR mauser in 6.5swede and the ballistic is about the same, but the creedmoor gives you a slight edge, nope let me say a big edge over the swede.

I 'm surprise you didn't look at the TC new rifle lineup ( icon ) which iirc is chambered in a creedmoor. Either way you go, I bet she would be very impress.

Qs: Why a bull barrel and how many weight ?

Qs: what are hangers ( not understanding that term ) ?
I picked the full bull barrel because it is a little more rigid and less prone to vibration, hopefully resulting in better accuracy. The hanger bar would be the equivilent to bedding a bolt action. It helps to distribute the weight and pressure of the forend evenly.
Old 01-15-2011, 19:24   #4
vafish

I think the .260 Rem or 6.5 Sweede are great all around rifles. They have a bit more oomph then the .243, but still don't have a lot of recoil.

The Encore should be a great rifle if it isn't too heavy with that full bull barrel.

You could shorten the barrel a bit to bring the weight down. A lot of the Encore barrels are 26".
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 20:08   #5
ctaggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
I think the .260 Rem or 6.5 Sweede are great all around rifles. They have a bit more oomph then the .243, but still don't have a lot of recoil.

The Encore should be a great rifle if it isn't too heavy with that full bull barrel.

You could shorten the barrel a bit to bring the weight down. A lot of the Encore barrels are 26".
Weight should be pretty manageable since its a break action. I went with a custom barrel and it's going to be 24". Overall length should be quite a few inches shorter than a bolt action with a 24" barrel. All of the 6.5 mm calibers are awesome hunting rounds and have great penetrative capabilities. Heck, the 6.5 swede has successfully been used to hunt moose and african game.
Old 01-25-2011, 15:24   #6
smoke

I'd just get a Remington Model 7 Synthetic in .260 or 7mm-08 and put a good scope on it.
smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 17:48   #7
K.Kiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
I'd just get a Remington Model 7 Synthetic in .260 or 7mm-08 and put a good scope on it.
Fantastic choice, along with the comparable Ruger Hawkeye Compact and the Winchester Compact... The 6.5 Swede, 260 Rem, 7mm-08, 7x57 Mauser, and .308 are all superb rounds for deer and hog sized game and even larger with the right bullet and shooter at appropriate ranges... We have had all the cartridges I mentioned and all have delivered the goods on game up to 300 lbs. with complete efficiency... If I reloaded the 6.5 Swedish and the 7x57 Mauser are both just beautiful rounds to play and hunt with, and if I were using box ammo then the others will do the deed equally as well but can yet still be improved if you decide to reload those also.. My 10 month olf son is getting a .260 remington 700 built for him now by my Father, and I'm gonna build either a 6.5 Swede, 7mm-08 or a 7mm Mauser as my next one also in a custom type rifle that will resemble one of the three domestic compact rifles..
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 17:56   #8
msoprano

I think Ruger chambers their hawkeye compact in 6.8 spc. That rifle has my interest.
msoprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 23:01   #9
ctaggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
The reason I don't want a .260 is because the ammunition is so expensive when compared to the 6.5 Creedmoor and I don't like the variety of ammunition on the market for it. The Federal premium is like $38 a box and I'm not buying remington core-lokt. I just won't do it. The .260 really doesn't have enough of a velocity advantage over the 6.5 Creedmoor to justify paying between 10-15 dollars more a box.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:36   #10
smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaggart View Post
The reason I don't want a .260 is because the ammunition is so expensive when compared to the 6.5 Creedmoor and I don't like the variety of ammunition on the market for it. The Federal premium is like $38 a box and I'm not buying remington core-lokt. I just won't do it. The .260 really doesn't have enough of a velocity advantage over the 6.5 Creedmoor to justify paying between 10-15 dollars more a box.
I really don't have a problem with Remington Core-Lokt in my 2 Model 7's in 7mm-08. I have moved to the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip, but not really for any sound reason, except somebody cut me a deal on the ammo.

If you figure the whole package of your custom rifle vs a Model 7 + the added ammo cost, you'd probably still come out ahead. Add the savings of buying a used gun and the savings grows. I'm looking for a used Model 7 in .260 for my daughter right now.

It's your choice, good luck!
smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 17:45   #11
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaggart View Post

Man I haven't seen that in my area. As a matter of fact the creedmoor is more expensive and harder to find and not recognize with a big selections or offering over the 260mm. THis is one of the reason I went 6.5x55 swede over 3 5 years ago and never looked back.

I would also think the 260 would have some advantage with brass since it's a .260 based on a winny 308 case. You can take 308 or 7mm-08 cases and roll out 260remington with ease over the sloppy 260 remington ammo. That you see in BassPro for example.

Factory brass for both are rare and hard to find. In fact most don't carry anything for the creedmoor for the reloader from what I gathered and seen and all of the shooyers that I ran into always *****es about limitation.

For both of these calibers, you want to save your brass imho. I think you would do great for both for hunting and with the creedmoor being the 308win eliminator
noway is offline   Reply With Quote