Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:00   #1
edog40

Hunting rifle advice

Im new to hunting, but not to rifles. I served eight years in the Army, so I know my way around those types of rifles. Never hunted before.

Im planning a hunting trip for next season, with other experienced hunters, and want to go for black bear. What caliber of rifle is good for that? Also, what type of ammo?
Im not into overkill, I want the hide and the meat, and have no desire to call in a missle strike to get it.
Advice, please.
edog40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:53   #2
pennlineman

Hard to go wrong with a bolt action chambered in .30-06. For black bear I'd use 165-180 grain bullets. I like the Remington model 700. Lots of guys like the Savage, either way you are well armed.

Good luck!
pennlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 22:19   #3
dbarry

+1 on pennlineman's choice of rifle & caliber. Love the 30-06. 700 is a great platform. I've got a tikka in 30-06 w/ a 3.5 lb trigger - excellent/accurate rifle. Thanks for your service to our country!
dbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 15:06   #4
Esox357

Remington or Tikka in any of the usual deer cartridges will work. 30.06 is what I use for all my hunting in the U.S. Esox357.
Old 01-17-2011, 17:45   #5
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

Good old -06 will do the job. I am partial to the new (non-edge) Savages.
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 20:14   #6
vafish

Don't want to sound like a broken record, but the .30-06 is probably one of the best all around big game hunting rifles on the planet.

Got enough power to take anything, but not too much recoil.

If you are just getting the rifle for bear hunting you may also want to consider a .35 Whelen. It's a .30-06 necked up to .35 caliber, fires a bit heavier bullet, but still won't beat you to death like a .338 Magnum will.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:55   #7
steve1911

Can't go wrong on an 06.

1911club#410
Old 01-19-2011, 17:52   #8
noway

7mm-08
308win
243win
300winny
300WSM
7x57
280rem

Pick one and go for it. So many options and combinations. Any of the above minus the 243winchester could do what you want. A 243win could do the same for maybe a treed bear but I would not want to use it for larger black bear.

For rifles, go down to any major hunting supplier,look over the rifles, see what you have, look at your needs ( left or righty, pull, scope mounting options, hinged floor =ed magazine vrs magazine,barrel length ,etc...)

Then look around for reviews of models that you MIGHT be interested in. That would be my options. No one rifle is great for everybody. Some like ruger, others like remmingtons, others want savage or some thing else.

That's the only advice I can give you, but keep in mind, most hunters who really do alot of hunting and various species, end up with more than 1 rifle. I have 6 various cf rifles today for example.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 18:59   #9
GeorgiaRedfish

Old 01-21-2011, 14:26   #10
BikerRN45

Bear are usually an up close and personal type of shot, at least in my expirience.

While the 30-06 will get the job done I favor the 47-70 in a Lever Action for such task. It also works well on deer.

Biker

Last edited by BikerRN45; 01-21-2011 at 14:26..
BikerRN45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 14:40   #11
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

.30-06 is your jack of all trades, master of none cartridge.

I load a 180 grain mag-tip for black bear / elk. In general, you're looking for a fairly solid construction that will expand some without fragmenting. Don't think you need to buy the newest whiz-bang cartridge out there. Core-lokt from Rem, Power Points from Winchester or other 30 year old designs will still kill a black bear. They still sell 'em because they work.

I'm partial to the Remington 700's, but a Winchester model 70, or many of the Savage rifles are good bargains. You didn't mention a price range, but those will all be good starters. Don't forget to look in the local pawn shops - you can find some great deals on a rifle that's only been fired twice a season for 10 years...

I like the mid-weight sporter barrels. Heavy barrels are good for volume shooting at varmints and / or targets but don't tend to be so nose heavy they don't point well for off hand shooting... lightweight "mountain" guns can be handy, but tend to have a lot of recoil for the caliber.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes...
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 15:03   #12
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Where will you be shooting black bear?

There are lots of options. Some are better than others depending on where you are going.

If I were to pick 1 rifle for North America and reloaded, not knowing anything about the game to be encounted, then the 30-06 is it.

If I were to pick a 3, 4, or 5 rifle battery for NA, the 30-06 may not be in that collection.
Old 01-21-2011, 17:29   #13
EL COLONEL

Remington 700 in 300 winchester magnum!
Old 01-21-2011, 17:41   #14
edog40

Far and away, Ill be going with the .30-06. Dont know what make yet.
A coworker has some land in the hills of eastern Washington, near where we live. He has cattle and sees plenty of black bear during the year, so I figured Id russle up a posse to thin out the bear gang. Really could use some meat and a rug too...
edog40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 18:08   #15
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog40 View Post
Far and away, Ill be going with the .30-06. Dont know what make yet.
A coworker has some land in the hills of eastern Washington, near where we live. He has cattle and sees plenty of black bear during the year, so I figured Id russle up a posse to thin out the bear gang. Really could use some meat and a rug too...
For that sized bear, a 30-06 should do nicely.

You could do something a small as 6mm or 30-30.
The 308/30-06 is a reasonable choice.

If you want to be different, or reload, or.... you could go with something like a 458WM, but I would suggest downloading it. A full powdered 458WM would make a great stopper, but is probably overkill 99& of the time.

Being this is your first hunting rifle, there are a couple choices you will want to make. Understanding the Controlled round feed or non-controlled round feed can be done in the general firearms forum. The standard Savage 110, Rem M700, Post 64 Win M70 are non-controlled round feed rifles. Mauser and Mauser clones are controlled round feed rifles.

Generally, people prefer CRF for dangerous game. I don't know if it is needed for Black bear.
Old 01-21-2011, 18:36   #16
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
The standard Savage 110, Rem M700, Post 64 Win M70 are non-controlled round feed rifles. Mauser and Mauser clones are controlled round feed rifles.

Generally, people prefer CRF for dangerous game. I don't know if it is needed for Black bear.
You can add some Ruger are controlled and non-pushfeed. Great for dangerous game, but if you hunting a bear from a stand or distance, maybe the lacking of controlled feed/extraction is not as critical.
Old 01-21-2011, 18:49   #17
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
You can add some Ruger are controlled and non-pushfeed. Great for dangerous game, but if you hunting a bear from a stand or distance, maybe the lacking of controlled feed/extraction is not as critical.
Very true.
I consider the Ruger a very good modernized clone.

I believe Remington is importing a Mauser clone

My 458WM is a CRF. It was made in Yugo and imported by ??.

There are days when I would like ALL my bolt actions to be the SAME make so the safety is in the same spot. If I didn't want to hunt dangerous game......

Last edited by RWBlue; 01-21-2011 at 18:50..
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 19:22   #18
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Very true.
I consider the Ruger a very good modernized clone.

I believe Remington is importing a Mauser clone

My 458WM is a CRF. It was made in Yugo and imported by ??.

There are days when I would like ALL my bolt actions to be the SAME make so the safety is in the same spot. If I didn't want to hunt dangerous game......
I think your right Remmy had a small and smaller ring mauser in varmint caliber available. I think they where made in cz and finished in the US iirc.