Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-18-2011, 16:00   #1
GeorgiaRedfish

Awesome Season

Well as some of you may remember, I shot two doe the first time I went hunting this season, and this time I got lucky again. I sold my tree climber so I was ground hunting in a place where I have seen many tracks. I hunt on private land surround by Cotton farms for as far as you can see, and I have been hunting since I was 15 and I have not seen one buck my whole hunting career only have bagged does. Well i got off at work around 3, and woke up late and didn't get into the woods until 7:45 and the sun was up already. So i felt bad about being out there late, but around 11:30 I saw two bucks, one a 4 point and towards the house (So i wasn't going to shoot), and another 4 point between me and nothing but woods. They were right up one me and I had to raise the rifle real slow, by the time I got it up to my eye he was 20 feet away. I lined up the shot, and pulled the trigger.......click.........!@#%..............He is staring at me now, and I try to eject the round slowly, the action is to far away where I can't catch the brass with my hand, so as soon as the brass flies he takes off. I was so pissed, the first buck I ever saw in the woods and this crap happens. I looks at the round that failed and saw the primer hit, and it hit solidly, that is what I get for firing old rounds. So I went back in grabbed a cup of coffee and I was fuming. I was so mad and determined to get another I skipped lunch and headed right back out, and this time with my GF's little cousin since he was awake. So we are sitting out there for about 2 hrs. (right about the time he is whinning to go back), I say lets wait a few more minutes, luckily. Right after I say that a 4 pointer, and two 8 pointers walk in. They were far away (sorry bad judge of distance), and I found the bigger one and took the shot. He ran about 20 feet and fell down, and I was estatic first buck I ever bagged. One of his points might be less than an Inch, I gave that antler to the kid, but I am going to say 8 points, and he weighed out 175-180 it was a great day. Glad I the round misfired earlier I would've had a puny one as my first buck. Thought I'd share the story.

Picture:
Hunting, Fishing & Camping
And of course I had to blood the kid:
Hunting, Fishing & Camping
Old 01-18-2011, 17:48   #2
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Yep, you blew it.

Now you have to drag the deer, touch that nasty pile of guts, cut and wrap meat, eat that evil deer chili all winter....

You know the worst part it? Now you got to hold out for a bigger deer next year! Haha, it is never ending.

Great story. Good shot.

Sweeter 'cause you took the kid along.

Last edited by bustedknee; 01-19-2011 at 22:12..
bustedknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 19:28   #3
noway

Congrats and nice deer. A great story from the woods, and **** like this happens every year, so don't feel too bad about it.

noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 19:58   #4
EL COLONEL

What calibre rifle was it bro ?
Old 01-18-2011, 23:37   #5
GeorgiaRedfish

Thanks for all the kind words, yeah I guess it does mean I have to hold out for a bigger one next year. It was taken with a Remington .243 Win my dad's first hunting rifle and gave it to me for my first. I love the gun and the round, this deer was the one that got the farthest away from the point where I shot it, and It definitely wasn't far from where I shot him. I did call my GF's cousin to let the Great Dane come help me find it, because in the excitement I forgot where I shot it. That wasn't a problem because the Great Dane and the kid found the blood trail fast. It was spilling a good amount, and it was a good clean kill I was happy.

The kid had been trying to get his dead beat dad to take him hunting forever, but I've been taking him whenever I went, he is a good kid and I'm glad he was happy.
Old 01-18-2011, 23:41   #6
GeorgiaRedfish

Oh and moral of that story, I will never use ammo. that has been in a gun case for many, many years to go hunting ever again. Might not turn out as good if I am out there with an 8 year old and a hog doesn't like us too much.

Last edited by GeorgiaRedfish; 01-18-2011 at 23:41..
GeorgiaRedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 00:23   #7
G23c

great way to end the season! congrats!
G23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:49   #8
steve1911

Congrats, nice Buck, love them backstraps enjoy.

1911club#410
Old 01-19-2011, 10:01   #9
GeorgiaRedfish

Thanks guys
Old 01-29-2011, 21:54   #10
GeorgiaGlockMan
Aggie in Exile.

Stories with happy endings just warm my heart.
Congrats- you are going to be an addict now.