Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-18-2011, 23:35   #1
KING-PIN

Help with Laptop reset.

Hello all, I have a question for the tech guys.

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop that is about 1 1/2 years old. It is running Windows 7 Home Premium and I am trying to reformat it all and reset it back to like it was out of the box.

There is absolutely nothing saved on the laptop that I want to keep. In fact, I want it ALL gone. I only want it back the way it was when I first turned it on.

Now, unfortunately, I don't have the Windows 7 Reinstallation CD, but do have a reinstall CD that came with a desktop I have (which is pretty much junk. Victim of a malicious virus) but it is a Windows Vista reinstall CD. (I think Vista sucks, but am willing to deal with it on this laptop since I mainly use it to play DVDs and surf the web.)

Can I insert the Vista reinstall CD and run it to reinstall Windows and reformat the entire computer that way? I have the key code with the CD, but didn't want to turn my laptop into a paperweight.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all for your time.
Old 01-18-2011, 23:44   #2
Rabbit994

EDIT: Reading is fundamental and apparently I can't do that. Do you have x64 version of Windows 7 or 32 bit? It's under Computer -> Right Click -> Properties

Last edited by Rabbit994; 01-18-2011 at 23:46..
Rabbit994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 23:54   #3
KING-PIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit994 View Post
EDIT: Reading is fundamental and apparently I can't do that. Do you have x64 version of Windows 7 or 32 bit? It's under Computer -> Right Click -> Properties
lol It's ok. We all have those days.

It is a 32 bit and the vista disk I have is 32 bit as well

Old 01-19-2011, 08:42   #4
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING-PIN View Post
lol It's ok. We all have those days.

It is a 32 bit and the vista disk I have is 32 bit as well

A Win 7 key, is not going to activate Windows vista

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:49   #5
McJohnny
The dude abides

Did the system come with a 'recovery' cd? If so, that should contain your operating system. If not, perhaps contacting Toshiba for a replacement CD would be the right direction.
McJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:05   #6
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Most systems have a hidden partition that contains the recovery data and it can usually be accessed by pressing a function key during the boot process.

If your system doesn't show which key to press try pressing F8 when your system starts and the “Advanced Boot option” will be shown. Look for the option “Repair your computer" this will be your system recovery tools. Just follow the menu on the screen, after a couple of steps you will see “System Recover Options”.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:10   #7
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316

Send a message via AIM to gemeinschaft Send a message via Yahoo to gemeinschaft Send a message via Skype™ to gemeinschaft
I would add that if you are open to changing OS on your laptop, maybe now is a good time to try Linux. I would recommend Ubuntu.

Sgt. Schultz is right about there being a recovery partition on many computers, but if that option is not going to work, I'd highly recommend Ubuntu.

If all you really do is watch DVDs and surf the web, you'll love Ubuntu. It is very stable, FREE and you don't have to worry about viruses.
Old 01-19-2011, 17:37   #8
handyman

On my laptops I had to make my cds to reinstall the software.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 17:58   #9
KING-PIN

Thanks guys for all the help.

I'll look into Ubuntu, but for now, I have vista installed and running smoothly.

Quick question, is it possible to install the same windows more than once? I kept having a hard time getting it to install because it kept hanging at the "Completing Installation" part of the process. So I googled it, figured out what to do to fix it, and finally got it installed.

When I kept attempting the install process, it kept giving me the option to choose which OS to boot from. Problem is, it had vista listed 3 or 4 times. Is it possible to install the same OS over and over or would the install that succeeded erase the failed attempts?

Sorry for not being overly familiar with the terminology to use. I'm new to this and trying to teach myself.

Thanks guys
Old 01-19-2011, 18:02   #10
KING-PIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
A Win 7 key, is not going to activate Windows vista

IGF
Sorry about the poor wording. I meant I have the key and disc for vista

Old 01-19-2011, 18:06   #11
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316

Send a message via AIM to gemeinschaft Send a message via Yahoo to gemeinschaft Send a message via Skype™ to gemeinschaft
Quote:
Thanks guys for all the help.

I'll look into Ubuntu, but for now, I have vista installed and running smoothly.

Quick question, is it possible to install the same windows more than once? I kept having a hard time getting it to install because it kept hanging at the "Completing Installation" part of the process. So I googled it, figured out what to do to fix it, and finally got it installed.

When I kept attempting the install process, it kept giving me the option to choose which OS to boot from. Problem is, it had vista listed 3 or 4 times. Is it possible to install the same OS over and over or would the install that succeeded erase the failed attempts?

Sorry for not being overly familiar with the terminology to use. I'm new to this and trying to teach myself.

Thanks guys
Have you backed up your data? If so, you can format the drive which should leave you with only one installation of Vista. Otherwise, it sounds like you have installed multiple copies of the OS and in that case, you would get that message at startup.

Be sure to get your Data off before formatting your disk.

Once you have verified that you have good backups of your data, I would consider using DBAN (Derek's Boot And Nuke) to completely wipe your harddrive and start over. It's free to download and burn to a disc.

Of course, if you are relying on a recovery partition, please don't use DBAN.

FWIW, most of us have learned from experience, either making mistakes ourselves or relying on the mistakes of others. By the end of this, you will no doubt be very familiar with how to install an OS.

Last edited by gemeinschaft; 01-19-2011 at 18:07..
gemeinschaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 18:12   #12
KING-PIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemeinschaft View Post
Have you backed up your data? If so, you can format the drive which should leave you with only one installation of Vista. Otherwise, it sounds like you have installed multiple copies of the OS and in that case, you would get that message at startup.

Be sure to get your Data off before formatting your disk.

Once you have verified that you have good backups of your data, I would consider using DBAN (Derek's Boot And Nuke) to completely wipe your harddrive and start over. It's free to download and burn to a disc.

Of course, if you are relying on a recovery partition, please don't use DBAN.

FWIW, most of us have learned from experience, either making mistakes ourselves or relying on the mistakes of others. By the end of this, you will no doubt be very familiar with how to install an OS.
I didn't back anything up because I wanted a clean wipe and restart from day one. No nothing left on it except how it was from when i took it out of the box. Once I run DBAN, can I then install a clean OS?

Thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 18:15   #13
etravix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post
Most systems have a hidden partition that contains the recovery data and it can usually be accessed by pressing a function key during the boot process.

If your system doesn't show which key to press try pressing F8 when your system starts and the “Advanced Boot option” will be shown. Look for the option “Repair your computer" this will be your system recovery tools. Just follow the menu on the screen, after a couple of steps you will see “System Recover Options”.

What Sgt. Schultz said.
etravix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 18:19   #14
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316

Quote:
I didn't back anything up because I wanted a clean wipe and restart from day one. No nothing left on it except how it was from when i took it out of the box. Once I run DBAN, can I then install a clean OS?

Thanks
Yes, assuming that you are not relying on a recovery partition. If you have a physical CD that you have been using to install your OS, then go ahead and DBAN.

Once you use DBAN, your harddrive will be clean as a whistle and during your Windows installation, you should be prompted to format the drive. Go ahead and stick with default settings on this.
Old 01-19-2011, 18:22   #15
KING-PIN

Quote:
Yes, assuming that you are not relying on a recovery partition. If you have a physical CD that you have been using to install your OS, then go ahead and DBAN.

Once you use DBAN, your harddrive will be clean as a whistle and during your Windows installation, you should be prompted to format the drive. Go ahead and stick with default settings on this.
So, just to clarify...

1. Run DBAN (go with default settings)

2. Go into BIOS and change the boot order and boot from the CD drive with the physical Cd that I have, and format.

3. Enjoy

Right?

Last edited by KING-PIN; 01-19-2011 at 18:25..
KING-PIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 19:27   #16
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316

Quote:
So, just to clarify...

2. Go into BIOS and change the boot order and boot from the CD drive with the physical Cd that I have, and format.

3. Enjoy

Right?
1. Boot to DBAN - run it on Auto.

2. Then restart and boot to Vista CD.

You shouldn't have to change anything in the BIOS, usually F8 will get you to the One Time Boot Menu.

Of course, once you use DBAN, your BIOS should recognize there is nothing to boot to on your Hard Drive and default to booting off of the CD-ROM
Old 01-19-2011, 19:37   #17
GenX

Send a message via Yahoo to GenX
Quote:
So, just to clarify...

3. Enjoy

Right?
I would be interested in knowing how long DBAN took and what size drive. It was over an hour on a 20GB drive I did recently. I'm guessing hardware was the weak link.
GenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 21:02   #18
KING-PIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX View Post
I would be interested in knowing how long DBAN took and what size drive. It was over an hour on a 20GB drive I did recently. I'm guessing hardware was the weak link.
I'll let you know

Old 01-19-2011, 21:02   #19
KING-PIN

Quote:
1. Boot to DBAN - run it on Auto.

2. Then restart and boot to Vista CD.

You shouldn't have to change anything in the BIOS, usually F8 will get you to the One Time Boot Menu.

Of course, once you use DBAN, your BIOS should recognize there is nothing to boot to on your Hard Drive and default to booting off of the CD-ROM
Here goes nothing.

Thanks a ton
Old 01-19-2011, 22:14   #20
KING-PIN

Well, I give up. I absolutely cannot get the computer to boot from DBAN on startup. I've tried everything I can think of. Nothing doing.

It's ok. I got back to the boot manager and now there is only one OS listed which is Vista. I'm assuming that when I successfully installed it, that all the other patrial failed installs were erased.

As much as I would like to run DBAN and get a copy of windows 7 to install, I guess that will have to wait. I reformatted the drive so I guess that'll have to do for now.

Thanks guys. If you have any other suggestions, feel free to throw them out there. I'm open to anything.