GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 13:19   #1
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher
 
Fire_Medic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Gunshine State
Posts: 8,129
Ruger (DAO) 2 1/4" SP-101 or G26?

I don't usually venture over here into this forum but wanted to ask this question here, as I know the responses I would get in GG, lol. I am not looking to start a bash fest just want some objective opinions (preferably from those who have shot & carried both guns) on a G26 VS a Ruger SP-101 2 1/4 inch for EDC.

This will not be my 100% of the time carry gun but most likely at least 50% of the time. I do not care to hear about J frames, I have shot one side by side with the Ruger and prefer the Ruger for various reasons.

In particular I like the DAO hammerless 2 1/4" SP 101. Very accurate and capable little gun, can shoot 38 and 357 Magnum, and is easy to conceal. On the flip side the Glock is lighter and carries more rounds. Both are priced about the same (for me) and I am not concerned with ammo cost here as I already load 9mm, and if I got the revolver I would start loading 38/357.

What is everyone's opinion here, pro's and cons, I live in FL and it will be warming up again very soon (back to our usual desert heat, lol), and I want a warm weather carry piece and also something smaller than a full size pistol for when I am on my motorcycle.

Thanks for your help.

__________________
Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Fire_Medic; 01-20-2011 at 13:24..
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 17:03   #2
Ajon412
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NJ. Don't hold it against me
Posts: 3,924
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I alternate between a G27 and either a S&W 640 / .38 spl or a CA Bulldog Pug in .44 spl (both DAO) for off duty carry, so my experiences are somewhat comparable to your question. With that being said, what will be your preferred mode of carry (pocket, IWB, OWB, etc)? I perfer pocket carry for small framed revolvers and IWB for everything else. With all things being equal, this might be a deciding factor for your purchase. You mentioned warm weather carry. Would it be easier for you, based upon your physical stature, to carry/conceal spare magazines or speed loaders / strips? I'm not sure if I answered your question, gave you more things to think about or made your decision more difficult. Good luck.....
__________________
"A man's got to know his limitations."-Harry Callahan
“...Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing”
“The difficult is what takes a little time. The impossible is what takes a little longer.”

Last edited by Ajon412; 01-20-2011 at 17:06..
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 17:16   #3
Chup
Senior Member
 
Chup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: N. Ohio
Posts: 494
I have both Guns and rotate them both in as Carry Guns. The SP, for me is fun to shoot and I have no problems with recoil, follow up shots, or accuracy. I do not practice with screaming hot 357 Ammo. I use reloads. They are not wimp loads and are definitely hotter than 38+P. When I carry the SP I carry a LCR357 as Backup. As for the Glock 26. When I carry the G26 I still carry a Backup 99.9% of the time. If for some strange reason I would only carry one gun this is it. I have 10, 15, and 17 round mags for it. I carry Corbon 115G+P 9MM JHP Ammo. I practice with any 115G hardball that I get. This gun shoots well recoil is a non issue. Easy to carry fun to shoot gun. I normally carry it IWB or OWB. Very rarely in a pocket but, I have. I carried these guns in the Summer here in Ohio and in Florida for the Month of March 2009. If I had to pick one it would be a tuff decision. I guess it would have to be the Glock because of Fire Power but since I can have several guns these are Two that I will always keep.
Chup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 18:06   #4
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher
 
Fire_Medic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Gunshine State
Posts: 8,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajon412 View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I alternate between a G27 and either a S&W 640 / .38 spl or a CA Bulldog Pug in .44 spl (both DAO) for off duty carry, so my experiences are somewhat comparable to your question. With that being said, what will be your preferred mode of carry (pocket, IWB, OWB, etc)? I perfer pocket carry for small framed revolvers and IWB for everything else. With all things being equal, this might be a deciding factor for your purchase. You mentioned warm weather carry. Would it be easier for you, based upon your physical stature, to carry/conceal spare magazines or speed loaders / strips? I'm not sure if I answered your question, gave you more things to think about or made your decision more difficult. Good luck.....
I appreciate your input thus far. My preferred method of carry is IWB as well, I have in the past carried a G26 in the pocket with an Aholster pocket holster in cargo shorts, not an issue for me. I have no trouble concealing full sized guns. I am just opening up my train of thought to other modes of carry, and to revolvers as well because I had a silly grin on my face after 100 rounds through a rental SP 101 with 50 rounds of 357 mag, and then 50 rounds of 38 special.

I'm not the smallest guy, and carried a 1911 and G35 for almost 2 years until about a year ago. I'm just getting to the point that just because you "can" do something doesn't mean you "need" to, you know. I guess this just comes from a few years of CCW under my belt now. My primary CCW after the 2 aforementioned guns was a G17, for the last 6 months or so I have been experiencing with different things and just come to the conclusion, that just as I consider a SD weapon a tool, there are different tools for different jobs.

I am looking for something smaller to carry most of the year, especially when on my motorcycle which is every chance I get when I'm not at one of two jobs. My little one is growing bigger and running around, and that has me more active at times I normally would not have been, not a bad thing, just ,makes life different. I have narrowed my choice to these two firearms and will realistically probably end up with both at some point in time, just can't afford to buy both right now with other projects going on.

I am considering giving apendix IWB a try as well, which I would assume could easily be done with either one of these.

Open to all suggestions, just looking for some input here. I still like taking classes and have guns/gear for that, but outside of certain environments the whole "tactical" scene is just wearing off on me. I just don't feel the need to have a full size pistol at ALL times with a backup and spare mags and what not every single waking minute of the day, lol.

Guess we just grow older and things change.

Sorry for the rant, just trying to include information I feel is relevant.

Thanks
FM
__________________
Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 18:07   #5
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher
 
Fire_Medic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Gunshine State
Posts: 8,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chup View Post
I have both Guns and rotate them both in as Carry Guns. The SP, for me is fun to shoot and I have no problems with recoil, follow up shots, or accuracy. I do not practice with screaming hot 357 Ammo. I use reloads. They are not wimp loads and are definitely hotter than 38+P. When I carry the SP I carry a LCR357 as Backup. As for the Glock 26. When I carry the G26 I still carry a Backup 99.9% of the time. If for some strange reason I would only carry one gun this is it. I have 10, 15, and 17 round mags for it. I carry Corbon 115G+P 9MM JHP Ammo. I practice with any 115G hardball that I get. This gun shoots well recoil is a non issue. Easy to carry fun to shoot gun. I normally carry it IWB or OWB. Very rarely in a pocket but, I have. I carried these guns in the Summer here in Ohio and in Florida for the Month of March 2009. If I had to pick one it would be a tuff decision. I guess it would have to be the Glock because of Fire Power but since I can have several guns these are Two that I will always keep.
Thanks for your input brother.
__________________
Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 19:12   #6
Ajon412
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NJ. Don't hold it against me
Posts: 3,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Medic View Post
I appreciate your input thus far. My preferred method of carry is IWB as well, I have in the past carried a G26 in the pocket with an Aholster pocket holster in cargo shorts, not an issue for me. I have no trouble concealing full sized guns. I am just opening up my train of thought to other modes of carry, and to revolvers as well because I had a silly grin on my face after 100 rounds through a rental SP 101 with 50 rounds of 357 mag, and then 50 rounds of 38 special.I'm not the smallest guy, and carried a 1911 and G35 for almost 2 years until about a year ago. I'm just getting to the point that just because you "can" do something doesn't mean you "need" to, you know. I guess this just comes from a few years of CCW under my belt now. My primary CCW after the 2 aforementioned guns was a G17, for the last 6 months or so I have been experiencing with different things and just come to the conclusion, that just as I consider a SD weapon a tool, there are different tools for different jobs.

I am looking for something smaller to carry most of the year, especially when on my motorcycle which is every chance I get when I'm not at one of two jobs. My little one is growing bigger and running around, and that has me more active at times I normally would not have been, not a bad thing, just ,makes life different. I have narrowed my choice to these two firearms and will realistically probably end up with both at some point in time, just can't afford to buy both right now with other projects going on.

I am considering giving apendix IWB a try as well, which I would assume could easily be done with either one of these.
Open to all suggestions, just looking for some input here. I still like taking classes and have guns/gear for that, but outside of certain environments the whole "tactical" scene is just wearing off on me. I just don't feel the need to have a full size pistol at ALL times with a backup and spare mags and what not every single waking minute of the day, lol.

Guess we just grow older and things change.

Sorry for the rant, just trying to include information I feel is relevant.

Thanks
FM
All the points you're making are germaine. I still have an affinity for revolvers, which is why I still carry them to this day. Of the two weapon systems mentioned, I find IWB appendix carry for revolvers much more comfortable then for a semi auto. It sounds like you're leaning towards the SP101. You really can't go wrong with that, along with a few Tuff Products Quick Strips loaded with your favorite .38 or .357 loads to protect you and your family.
__________________
"A man's got to know his limitations."-Harry Callahan
“...Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing”
“The difficult is what takes a little time. The impossible is what takes a little longer.”
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 19:58   #7
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher
 
Fire_Medic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Gunshine State
Posts: 8,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajon412 View Post
All the points you're making are germaine. I still have an affinity for revolvers, which is why I still carry them to this day. Of the two weapon systems mentioned, I find IWB appendix carry for revolvers much more comfortable then for a semi auto. It sounds like you're leaning towards the SP101. You really can't go wrong with that, along with a few Tuff Products Quick Strips loaded with your favorite .38 or .357 loads to protect you and your family.
What holster do you prefer for appendix carry with the revolver?
__________________
Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Fire_Medic; 01-20-2011 at 19:58..
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 20:30   #8
B-One
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 172
Both are great guns but...

Both are too big for me to pocket carry. Some will disagree, but the G26 is too thick and blocky. I am more inclined to pocket carry a Kel-Tec P11 or PF-9. The new Ruger LC9 shows a lot of promise, but I don't have any experience with it. The SP101 is too long and heavy for a 5 shot revolver. A S&W J-Frame or LCR works better for me in the pocket revolver role.

For belt carry, IWB or OWB, one could choose larger, but not much heavier, and easier to shoot gun like the G19 or GP100.
B-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 20:35   #9
Berto
woo woo
 
Berto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: WA
Posts: 30,930


I think you'll find the sp101 more practical for the stated types of carry, and it offers much more flexibility with ammo. The G26 is an excellent gun too, but for your wants, the Ruger makes a little more sense.
__________________
The West is the Best.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 20:40   #10
Ajon412
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NJ. Don't hold it against me
Posts: 3,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Medic View Post
What holster do you prefer for appendix carry with the revolver?
Actually, back in the day I worked with a guy who made basic IWB holsters. Then I used one of those suede holsters with the metal clip before I knew any better. Now, I'm actually looking at a few quality IWB holsters from Bell Charter Oaks http://www.bellcharteroakholsters.com/ This company has been around for a long time. I prefer appendix IWB's with a reinforced opening for one handed re-holstering with the steel / spring clip and a straight drop/zero cant, as it's more concealable....High Noon also has a nice line of IWB's. http://www.highnoonholsters.com/index.html
__________________
"A man's got to know his limitations."-Harry Callahan
“...Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing”
“The difficult is what takes a little time. The impossible is what takes a little longer.”

Last edited by Ajon412; 01-20-2011 at 20:44..
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 20:41   #11
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher
 
Fire_Medic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Gunshine State
Posts: 8,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-One View Post
Both are great guns but...

Both are too big for me to pocket carry. Some will disagree, but the G26 is too thick and blocky. I am more inclined to pocket carry a Kel-Tec P11 or PF-9. The new Ruger LC9 shows a lot of promise, but I don't have any experience with it. The SP101 is too long and heavy for a 5 shot revolver. A S&W J-Frame or LCR works better for me in the pocket revolver role.

For belt carry, IWB or OWB, one could choose larger, but not much heavier, and easier to shoot gun like the G19 or GP100.
I appreciate your input.

I already have larger pistols, I am specifically considering the two pistols mentioned to have something smaller.

I don't care for the keltecs, have large hands and the grips are not comfortable to me, the SP 101 allows me a full grip, and the Glock doesn't bother me with my pinky curled under the magazine because the thickness of the gun fills my hand.

How is a 2 and 1.4 inch barrel too long? Not following on that one.

As I stated I am not considering the J frame for personal reasons, I just don't care for the recoil and the grip is tiny. I shot both the J frame 642 and the SP 101 side by side and "to me" the recoil of the J frame with 38 special ammo is more of an unpleasantry than the Ruger with 357 magnum, I just don't like the small smiths, not trying to start a Ruger VS J frame war which is why I didn't bring any of it up to begin with, the J frame has a strong following, and I can see why, but I have also found loyal followers of the J frame tend to get their panties in a bunch when someone questions their beloved snubby.

__________________
Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 20:42   #12
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher
 
Fire_Medic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Gunshine State
Posts: 8,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
I think you'll find the sp101 more practical for the stated types of carry, and it offers much more flexibility with ammo. The G26 is an excellent gun too, but for your wants, the Ruger makes a little more sense.
Thanks for your input Berto
__________________
Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 20:43   #13
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher
 
Fire_Medic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Gunshine State
Posts: 8,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajon412 View Post
Actually, back in the day I worked with a guy who made basic IWB holsters. Then I used one of those suede holsters with the metal clip before I knew any better. Now, I'm actually looking at a few quality IWB holsters from Bell Charter Oaks http://www.bellcharteroakholsters.com/ This company has been around for a long time. I prefer appendix IWB's with a reinforced opening for one handed re-holstering with the steel / spring clip, as it's more concealable....High Noon also has a nice line of IWB's. http://www.highnoonholsters.com/index.html
Ok thanks, I am a fan of Comptac, specifically their MTAC and their belt holsters, but I was eyeballing their 2'oclock model holster which is specific for appendix IWB carry.

I will look at those you have suggested.
__________________
Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 21:15   #14
B-One
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Medic View Post
I appreciate your input.

I already have larger pistols, I am specifically considering the two pistols mentioned to have something smaller.

I don't care for the keltecs, have large hands and the grips are not comfortable to me, the SP 101 allows me a full grip, and the Glock doesn't bother me with my pinky curled under the magazine because the thickness of the gun fills my hand.

How is a 2 and 1.4 inch barrel too long? Not following on that one.

As I stated I am not considering the J frame for personal reasons, I just don't care for the recoil and the grip is tiny. I shot both the J frame 642 and the SP 101 side by side and "to me" the recoil of the J frame with 38 special ammo is more of an unpleasantry than the Ruger with 357 magnum, I just don't like the small smiths, not trying to start a Ruger VS J frame war which is why I didn't bring any of it up to begin with, the J frame has a strong following, and I can see why, but I have also found loyal followers of the J frame tend to get their panties in a bunch when someone questions their beloved snubby.

3/8 of an inch doesn't seem like much but...

The important thing is to get what works for you. Just because I think the G26 and SP101 are too big for me to pocket carry doesn't mean that they will be too big for you. Just because I would rather have a mid sized handgun like a G19 or GP100 on my hip, doesn't mean that something smaller wouldn't suit you better.

I'd rather shoot the SP101 than the LCR too, although I don't find the recoil of the J-frames or LCR objectionable. The problem for me is the SP101 looks too much like a gun in my pocket.

I am not the type to worry too much about the S&W vs. Ruger (or the Ford vs. Chevy for that matter) debate. Both are great and I would be happy with either.

If you gave me a G26 or SP101 and told me these were the only two guns I could carry, I could certainly be content. Thankfully, however, there enough quality choices to make all of us happy.
B-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 21:19   #15
B-One
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 172
As far as holsters go, I can't recommend Sideguard highly enough:
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/hol...B_Holsters.htm

Erik will make the holster to your specs; cant, ride, position etc.

Last edited by B-One; 01-20-2011 at 21:21..
B-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:45   #16
dugo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 980
I have and carry both (usually not together), often IWB at about 2:00. Sometimes they are worn for 14-16 hours straight. Holsters are of the open-top IWB type for the 26, and a similar holster, or one with a thumb break, for the sp101. Though I have not had any problems, the sp101 feels a little more "bouncy" in activity, and I sometimes want the extra security, depending on activity. (My 101 still has the hammer spur, though I may soon have that removed.)

I am fairly active, medium height and fairly slim, and neither carries well in a pocket for me.

Hasn't bveen necessary for me, buty the cross-breed style of holster is secure, and would probably be more comfortable in the long term than what I currently use. (You probably know that several makers do a similar holster, and Galco has a new one that is reasonably priced and may be worth a look, also.) A stiff belt always helps, as I am sure you know.

Both guns carry well IWB under a t-shirt. While OWB is fine in heavier clothing, it doesn't work very well for me with t-shirts, even loose ones.

I find the 26 is a little more likely to print if allowed. If I am in a t-shirt without much extra room, I sometimes arrange the tail of the shirt to hang on a cell phone clipped on the opposite side of the belt (eg, gun at 2:00, cell phone at 11:00), so that the shirt drapes or bunches a little over the 26. This seems to work fine.

The sp101, depending on grips, seems to hide a little better and can be slightly more comfortable, depending on activity. This is probably due to the more rounded general shape, muzzle to backstrap, looking from the top (narrow bbl, wider at cylinder, narrower at grips). With the sp101, usually a speed strip is in a pocket close by.

On a side note, I do change up carry from time to time, but I try to keep location of the gun very consistent, regardless of the gun, and usually use holsters that require the same motion to draw from. (The thumb break is a change that I use only when it seems needed, but I do a bit of refreshment practice when I change to that method.)

Last edited by dugo; 01-21-2011 at 09:13..
dugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 16:14   #17
2740dmx
Senior Member
 
2740dmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 2,107
I am always fighting this dilemma myself...

I mostly carry my G27, IWB. BUT... there is something about a revolver (for quick shots that could be potentially fired from an awkward position) that makes me feel more confident....

It is nice to have 9 rounds of .40 on hand, with a backup magazine in my off side pocket...

No easy answer, but both are proven weapons...

Report back when you decide!
__________________
NRA MEMBER
2740dmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 16:41   #18
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher
 
Fire_Medic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Gunshine State
Posts: 8,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2740dmx View Post
I am always fighting this dilemma myself...

I mostly carry my G27, IWB. BUT... there is something about a revolver (for quick shots that could be potentially fired from an awkward position) that makes me feel more confident....

It is nice to have 9 rounds of .40 on hand, with a backup magazine in my off side pocket...

No easy answer, but both are proven weapons...

Report back when you decide!
Funny you mentioned the G27, in mulling things over today, I took some SD 40 ammo to the range today to blow through that has been sitting in the closet for too long. I grabbed the rental G35 and G27 and went in, and came out with huge grin on my face. I had long abandoned the 40SW in the Glock platform in favor of HK, but todays range time has change my outlook. I really miss my old G35 and G27, and think I just came across those guns too early in my evolution with pistols. The recoil didn't bother me and that G27 is a hell of a little power pack.

I still love the SP 101, but I am leaning towards the G27 FIRST, then picking up the Ruger later, then I can have them both and use the Ruger as a BUG to other guns.

I will post back when the final 100% decision has been made. I also found out today there's a good chance at a great price on an SP 101 but I will have to wait some, and the savings is enough that it would be worth the wait.
__________________
Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 17:21   #19
Glock940
Senior Member
 
Glock940's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 567
I say get both, lol, sorry had to say it. It is very hard to decide which to carry. Both are very good firearms, each has their pluses and purpose, but the SP101 some may need a little practice in handling the 357 Magnum load in a 2 1/4" barrel. Other than that I really do not see a down side to either. Both are pretty much equal in concealability and others have mentioned what I would have said...but what I will add is that if you are set in seeing a 357 Magnum performance, then why not look into the 27 and get a Glock 33 barrel for it? or vise a versa. The 125gn 357 SIG is pretty much equal to the performance of a 125gn 357 Magnum in a 4" Barrel.
__________________
"How soon we forget history...Government is not reason. Government is not eloquence. It is force. And, like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

- quoted by George Washington
Glock940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 17:32   #20
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher
 
Fire_Medic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Gunshine State
Posts: 8,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock940 View Post
I say get both, lol, sorry had to say it. It is very hard to decide which to carry. Both are very good firearms, each has their pluses and purpose, but the SP101 some may need a little practice in handling the 357 Magnum load in a 2 1/4" barrel. Other than that I really do not see a down side to either. Both are pretty much equal in concealability and others have mentioned what I would have said...but what I will add is that if you are set in seeing a 357 Magnum performance, then why not look into the 27 and get a Glock 33 barrel for it? or vise a versa. The 125gn 357 SIG is pretty much equal to the performance of a 125gn 357 Magnum in a 4" Barrel.
I agree 100% and in my last post have basically come the conclusions you state.

I like the 357 SIG caliber a lot, just wis there was more support for it, and that it wasn't such a pain reloading wise. It is really like a love/hate relationship, lol.

But I wouldn't mind a G33 barrel for the G27 later down the road.

Thanks for your input.
__________________
Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:13.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,119
276 Members
843 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31