Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-20-2011, 22:02   #1
catalyst686

Suggest a sling, (not sure what I need)

I want a sling that would mainly be used at the range. I'm really unfamiliar with slings so help me out! I've checked a few out and like the "multi-mission" slings, it seems like they would serve their purpose well. I obviously want something sturdy that isn't going to break. I don't know if there is a correct term for this, but I think it would be a good idea to have a sling that can be used to carry a weapon on your shoulder without having to stabilize it often with your hands. Like I said before, I have no knowledge in this area. Thanks!
catalyst686 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 22:05   #2
catalyst686

Here is a link for the one I was looking at http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG501/120
catalyst686 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 22:11   #3
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1297947

I now have it set up with a D-ring just above the buckle, so I can run it in single point mode just like the MS2, just much more comfortable.
For the last time

Last edited by NeverMore1701; 01-20-2011 at 22:13..
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:21   #4
TedG
Infidel USA

I like the Israeli Defense Force sling.

Black Rifle Forum

I had this made for survival scenario. There's over 150' of 550 paracord.

Black Rifle Forum

Become an Organ Donor today:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Save as many as 50 lives. Thanks.

Last edited by TedG; 01-21-2011 at 08:22..
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:41   #5
mikekjg

I run the padded VCAS from BlueForceFear. Super comfortable and can be adjusted on the fly.

mikekjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:07   #6
trlcavscout

After trying several I prefer the Magpul MS2 sling with ASAP plate. They adjust quickly, quick transition from strong to weak side, I use it for training, coyote hunting and everything in between. But its such a personal preference thing you should find a shop that carries several of them and go try them. They should let you install the sling to try. If its mainly range you you may find a 2 or 3 point works better for you. But if you get the new forward attachment for the MS2 then you have the best of both worlds.

An MS2 and ASAP or other plate will set you back $75-$90, for range work if your not running and gunning a $30 Blackhawk 2 point would work fine.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:18   #7
ArmoryDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlcavscout View Post
After trying several I prefer the Magpul MS2 sling with ASAP plate. They adjust quickly, quick transition from strong to weak side, I use it for training, coyote hunting and everything in between. But its such a personal preference thing you should find a shop that carries several of them and go try them. They should let you install the sling to try. If its mainly range you you may find a 2 or 3 point works better for you. But if you get the new forward attachment for the MS2 then you have the best of both worlds.

An MS2 and ASAP or other plate will set you back $75-$90, for range work if your not running and gunning a $30 Blackhawk 2 point would work fine.
This is what I ended up with. It is by far the best rig for me.
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:26   #8
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I found the MS2 to be quite uncomfortable over long periods of time, and never could get the quick adjust function to work right. The Padded VCAS is superior in every way.
For the last time
Old 01-21-2011, 10:32   #9
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

I have a two point Larue Tactical padded sling with QD's

Last edited by faawrenchbndr; 01-21-2011 at 10:32..
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:13   #10
surf

A pure one point sling is not nearly as stable as say a 2 point sling. The one point / two point convertible set ups are great in concept and function however not all are created equal of course. IMO, if you can only have one set up, the 2 point is a better option for your average shooter / user. A simple 2 point sling will work well and if you want an adjustable length of pull 2 point then there are a few on the market. I agree with Nevermore in that the Vickers VCAS sling series are the best on the market right now.

As for the sling that you link, the MS2, it is a good concept but so so execution and even Magpul acknowledges this. It is too thin and uncomfortable over periods of time and the hardware isn't the best choices IMO. Magpul is working on the MS3 and are attempting to address certain issues so you might want to wait.
surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 14:35   #11
BBJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
A pure one point sling is not nearly as stable as say a 2 point sling. The one point / two point convertible set ups are great in concept and function however not all are created equal of course. IMO, if you can only have one set up, the 2 point is a better option for your average shooter / user. A simple 2 point sling will work well and if you want an adjustable length of pull 2 point then there are a few on the market. I agree with Nevermore in that the Vickers VCAS sling series are the best on the market right now.

As for the sling that you link, the MS2, it is a good concept but so so execution and even Magpul acknowledges this. It is too thin and uncomfortable over periods of time and the hardware isn't the best choices IMO. Magpul is working on the MS3 and are attempting to address certain issues so you might want to wait.

+1
Really like my padded VCAS. Also look into the VTAC sling. No personal experience with it but it looks like another good option.

If you want a Magpul sling, wait on the MS3.
Old 01-21-2011, 23:13   #12
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Blue Force Gear padded VCAS

I don't like my MS-2. The only thing I like about it, are the snap shackle, and inline D-ring.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:24   #13
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Blue Force Gear padded VCAS

I don't like my MS-2. The only thing I like about it, are the snap shackle, and inline D-ring.
I agree that the D-ring is a big plus for the MS2, which is why I copied Surf and put one on the underside of my VCAS around where the MS2 has it
For the last time
Old 01-22-2011, 02:30   #14
ezterra

I deployed with a Gear Sector 2 point sling. It worked good and it held up well. I have since switched to the MS2 sling and really like it. I like the option of going single or 2 point. During mounted ops, the 2 point configuration works great because the weapon is much more secure. However, when dismounted the single point configuration allows for easier manipulation of the weapon. So far it's been holding up well in training and in rifle matches I've been shooting. I like it and I am comfortable recommending it. Like others have said it is a personal choice though. It's kind of like holsters. What's good for one may not be good for another.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:10   #15
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

If it's a pure range weapon, no sling at all. If you just need to move the gun around, an IDF or uncle mike's type basic sling is all you need.

If you plan on ever actually USING the rifle, the VTAC/VCAS/Magpul type. I've used all three, currently i use a LaRue VTAC.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:55   #16
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
I agree that the D-ring is a big plus for the MS2, which is why I copied Surf and put one on the underside of my VCAS around where the MS2 has it

I'm planning on going a slightly different route.

I ordered a second MS2, and a VCAS, and I'm going to cut the VCAS, and sew the padding, into the MS2.

But yeah, that would work too.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:26   #17
surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
I'm planning on going a slightly different route.

I ordered a second MS2, and a VCAS, and I'm going to cut the VCAS, and sew the padding, into the MS2.

But yeah, that would work too.
You might consider waiting on the MS3 sling. Magpul is supposed to be addressing issues in the MS2. I personally do not like the MS2's slider or hardware in general. My MS2 started to fray fairly quickly which was also annoying. The inline ring on the MS2 makes the sling twist and bind when transitioning to the support side, which placing a D-Ring under the sling instead of inline helps to avoid. It isn't horrible but annoying enough. If you like your VCAS it is much easier to convert a VCAS with much better hardware that is readily available. Scavenging padding off of a VCAS sounds like a bit of work and I am not even convinced that it will distribute the load well enough with the padding considering the main MS2 is so narrow. Just a thought. Or again I might wait to see what Magpul does with the MS3. If you do the padding on the MS2 I would be curious to hear and see the results.
surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:37   #18
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Single point slings are best for tactical groups. This allows you to drop your rifle and transition to a side arm or grenade or ....

Browning® Horsehair Sling – Timber slings are for carrying a rifle, it is useless for
anything else.

Three point slings have their place, but IMHO, not on an AR. The control surfaces are in the wrong area. I really do like this on an AK, when it is hanging at the hip. (If you have a front post on your AR, this can be accomplished with other slings, but the transition from patrol to stable shooting platform is not as quick.)

The 1906 leather sling is what is needed if you are trying to shoot precision in the field.
http://www.turnersling.com/high-powe...tion-gear.html

Everything else out there is a compromise of the above. They add swivels, clips, quick detach.....

If this is for range use, get the 1906 leather sling. You can go cheap with cheap leather or even nylon.

BTW, Take a look at appleseed shooting. This will teach you the traditional shooting methods. And how to make hits while using a sling.

Last edited by RWBlue; 01-22-2011 at 11:45..
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 13:11   #19
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

I've got a Turner on my Garand,......can't see putting one on an AR15.
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 14:12   #20
cowboy1964

LaRue VTAC here too, my first sling. It's pretty busy and has a lot of material but it seems to work well. I like that it came with the Quick Disconnects so it was plug-and-play with my M&P 15.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote