Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-22-2011, 20:24   #1
firefighter4215

Want new sights and seeking suggestions

Hey guys. I'd like to replace the stock fixed sights on my G27. I can get factory night sights installed locally for $75. I'm not totally sold on night sights. I'm more interested in just a good set of sights that are easy to use. Are there any sights below that price that are worth looking at? Is that a fair price for those sights?
firefighter4215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 20:56   #2
telecster

I like the XS Big dots.. But they are more..
telecster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 20:58   #3
Fragadelic

I have TruGlo TFO's on my 19 & 23 - AmeriGlo Hacks on my 21SF
Fragadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 21:02   #4
lethal tupperwa

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sigh...l-sights/glock

Thanks to the efforts of our member bentbiker, AmeriGlo now offers a 20% discount to all Glocktalk members. Just enter GLOCKTALK in the discount area.

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER

Last edited by lethal tupperwa; 01-22-2011 at 21:06..
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 21:29   #5
firefighter4215

So the U-Rap sights would be $64 after the discount and shipping. Are they fairly easy to install without screwing things up? I'd only be saving $11, but they look like decent sights. Anyone ever had them?
Old 01-22-2011, 21:31   #6
MarccraM

Mepro fan here

G23 g4, G19 g4, G27 g3, Walther PPS, M&P340ct, KT PF9, Ruger LCP, Mossberg 500 (x2), KT PLR-16, Century GP1975 AK47
MarccraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 21:53   #7
greenhornet

I do want nite sights for my G26 but there are so many to choose from. How does one choose? This may be a whole new thread too?
Old 01-22-2011, 22:08   #8
bentbiker
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter4215 View Post
So the U-Rap sights would be $64 after the discount and shipping. Are they fairly easy to install without screwing things up? I'd only be saving $11, but they look like decent sights. Anyone ever had them?
I have a set. They are extremely well made and great for SD. I'm sure you realize that they are not designed to be target sights.

Do you have a pusher, or somebody with one to install? Mine required only slight hit with a file to fit. They would be tough to screw up if you know what you are doing and push on the base above the dovetail (not on the "U").
Old 01-22-2011, 22:14   #9
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316

Send a message via AIM to gemeinschaft Send a message via Yahoo to gemeinschaft Send a message via Skype™ to gemeinschaft
Another vote for Tru-glo TFOs

Sights are a very personal choice. I would ask around and see if you have friends with different sights. Find what works best for you.

If you need to spend more money, by all means, save up your cash and get what is best for you, don't settle when it comes to sights.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:55   #10
firefighter4215

I found a video on YouTube where a guy changed his sights in less than 10 minutes using a 3/16 socket for the front and a brass punch for the rear. It looked pretty simple. Thanks for the input everybody.
Old 01-23-2011, 16:58   #11
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhornet View Post
I do want nite sights for my G26 but there are so many to choose from. How does one choose? This may be a whole new thread too?

Here's my well-received Night Sight Review...

My Take On Night Sights...

Self-Luminous Tritium Night Sights incorporate small tritium-charged lamps as sight markers. The hermetically sealed lamps consist of glass ampoules coated internally with phosphor and charged with tritium gas (Hydrogen 3). Free electrons in the decaying tritium gas strike and excite the phosphor coating, emitting light, much the way a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor or older television does. Tritium gas is a byproduct of nuclear fission. Tritium poses no health hazard unless it is ingested or inhaled. On average, you can expect 12+ years of useful light from tritium sights.

Glock OEM Night Sights utilize Meprolight lamps, and when purchased with the gun, are about the best deal going! The OEM models are tennifer-treated, combat-type sights, which typically had a staked-on front sight that dedicated that sight to one gun; but recently, we’ve been getting reports of a threaded-on front sight being the new standard for this set up. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so.

Meprolight Night Sights are rugged, well-made, low profile, combat-type sights, with a wide front blade to rear sight notch aspect. Israeli-made Meprolights were the first tritium night sights marketed for use on popular pistols and rifles. Their large lamps appear brighter than other night sights, partly because the interior of the lamp housings has a bright-white coating to increase internal reflection. The lamps and white plastic o-ring markers appear to be embedded in polished epoxy, which resists solvents and makes for easy cleaning. By design, the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight.

Trijicon Night Sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken when cleaning to avoid harsh solvents and aggressive scrubbing, as the white o-rings are painted on.

AmeriGlo offers the best selection of night sights available. Quality is first-rate, as the sights combine Trijicon lamps with white PVC O-rings for markers. A combination of sight profiles, blade and notch widths, marker configurations, sizes and lamp colors, offers something for everyone. I really like their Operator sights with a green front and yellow rear lamps!

XS Big Dot sights are high quality combat sights, designed for SHTF situations. Place that big white dot on center mass, and if your trigger control is good, you will hit your target, out to 30-feet or better. The night sight picture is pleasing and easily picked up. These are a specialty sight, and many will find them wanting for range use; conversely, others will master them for target use too. More than any sight I know of, people like them or they don't.

Note: Lamp colors are often mixed today, combining the familiar green with yellow or orange, even red or blue tritium lamps. The brighter appearing green, always goes to the front... I personally like the two color set up, using yellow or orange rear lamps, with the green front. Note that green and yellow have a similar lamp-life, while other colors such as orange or red, may have half the lamp-life.

Summary: These are just a few night sights we've had first-hand experience with. There are other quality products, and some not-so-quality products out there to try. Some are innovative and novel--like TrueGlo TFOs. Some are known to be problematic... Any of the premium brands--ie., Novak, Heinie, Dawson Precision, Bomar, etc.---should be excellent. The warranty is a good indicator of the manufacturer's confidence in their product.

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 17:21   #12
dkf

I have the Ameriglo Hacks on my G33. Cost $71 shipped to my door for the set with GSSF discount. I won't be looking anywhere but Ameriglo for future sight orders. The slug barrel on my 870 has been begging for a set of their night sights.
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 23:47   #13
bentbiker
NRA Member

Deleted -- double post.

Last edited by bentbiker; 01-23-2011 at 23:57..
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 23:55   #14
bentbiker
NRA Member

Quote:
I found a video on YouTube where a guy changed his sights in less than 10 minutes using a 3/16 socket for the front and a brass punch for the rear. It looked pretty simple. Thanks for the input everybody.
It is simple to do, but, as all of the manufacturers will tell you, the impact can cause the glass vials of tritium gas to crack allowing the gas to escape over a long period. There have been members here who've posted that they took a chance and lost. It's not worth it.

As for a 3/16 socket, it depends on how close the screw head is to the front of the slide. Not one of the homemade tools would have worked to remove my original sight. Pay the $7 and get the right tool if it doesn't come with your new sights.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:26   #15
Hydra-SHOKz

Heine makes the best Glock sights on the planet!
Hydra-SHOKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:36   #16
glockvit
Glock Sportsman

I like the trijicon night sight.

...glockvit
---GSSF---
glockvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:53   #17
gator378
Gator378

Quote:
I have U-Rap on the G21. Need the sight pusher tool. With the tool no problem. Do not try to "hammer" them. At least these sights are usable with old eyes and tri-focals. If the snow ever melts I will be out to the range to practice with them. I am at the age that red dots may be the only solution.

The eye doc said keep the dog
Old 01-24-2011, 14:25   #18
firefighter4215

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
It is simple to do, but, as all of the manufacturers will tell you, the impact can cause the glass vials of tritium gas to crack allowing the gas to escape over a long period. There have been members here who've posted that they took a chance and lost. It's not worth it.

As for a 3/16 socket, it depends on how close the screw head is to the front of the slide. Not one of the homemade tools would have worked to remove my original sight. Pay the $7 and get the right tool if it doesn't come with your new sights.

Well after some thinking and reading more I guess $75 for the Glock night sights and installation probably isn't too bad. I decided it wasn't worth the risks to save a few dollars. I'm a big diy person, but sometimes it's better to let someone who knows what they're doing do their thing.