Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:42   #1
USMCSGT ARMYMP OHLEO

S&W M&P Tactical 5.56NATO thoughts?

Well its been awhile since I have looked at AR's and ownd one (last I built was a colt lower/bm upper with a few toys) anyway I'm looking at the following
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

S&W M&P Tactical 5.56NATO priced at $1180.00

1. does the price seem good/right?

2. I would assume the quality is "good" but anyone own one? Pos and Cons?

3. I've never bought from out of state ....how much should I expect the dealer here in Ohio to charge me for the transfer?
Old 01-23-2011, 12:54   #2
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCSGT ARMYMP OHLEO View Post
Well its been awhile since I have looked at AR's and ownd one (last I built was a colt lower/bm upper with a few toys) anyway I'm looking at the following

3. I've never bought from out of state ....how much should I expect the dealer here in Ohio to charge me for the transfer?
1) No. Even at a good discount off MSRP, that price range is above BCM/LMT/DD and in Noveske territory.

2) Quality is not good. And note the 1/9... which is perfectly fine if you're only going to shoot M193, but usually denotes a commercial grade product. Refer to the chart.

3) $35

ETA: Just noticed the price... that's a hell of a discount!

But why not buy this and have... for a tiny bit more... literally, more than 10x the rifle...

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1400

Last edited by KalashniKEV; 01-23-2011 at 12:56..
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 13:12   #3
trlcavscout

For $1100 you could have an LMT, Colt, BCM. But I did have a guy tell me the Smiths ran good for the money and they do LE/MIL training. He said they run good compared to mid tiers stuff at least. But for that price their is better.
Old 01-23-2011, 13:12   #4
Turbodreams

Send a message via AIM to Turbodreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
1) No. Even at a good discount off MSRP, that price range is above BCM/LMT/DD and in Noveske territory.

2) Quality is not good. And note the 1/9... which is perfectly fine if you're only going to shoot M193, but usually denotes a commercial grade product. Refer to the chart.

3) $35

ETA: Just noticed the price... that's a hell of a discount!

But why not buy this and have... for a tiny bit more... literally, more than 10x the rifle...

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1400
$200 Troy rail, and a $200 set of troy flip up sights. Plus its all mil-spec made for 5.56. Its far from a commerical grade product.

The rifle is excellent. Shoots great and the quality is great. The rail and sights are very nice and def worth the cost.

And yes, I do own it.
Old 01-23-2011, 13:21   #5
trlcavscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodreams View Post
$200 Troy rail, and a $200 set of troy flip up sights. Plus its all mil-spec made for 5.56. Its far from a commerical grade product.

The rifle is excellent. Shoots great and the quality is great. The rail and sights are very nice and def worth the cost.

And yes, I do own it.
So you are putting the 20" DUBS on a Nissan instead of a Cadillac? So why not buy the S&W ORC for $750 then $400 for the rail and sights if you want Troy? I see them around $750 once a month here locally, normal retail price is like $850. But not all mil-spec is the same.

Last edited by trlcavscout; 01-23-2011 at 13:23..
trlcavscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 13:36   #6
USMCSGT ARMYMP OHLEO

Quote:

And yes, I do own it.

Any feed problems and how many rounds do you have down range on yours?
Old 01-23-2011, 13:40   #7
USMCSGT ARMYMP OHLEO

I really am looking at long range practice with the weapon and Iron no optics for now....Its been a year now without solid range time
Old 01-23-2011, 14:31   #8
Turbodreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlcavscout View Post
So you are putting the 20" DUBS on a Nissan instead of a Cadillac? So why not buy the S&W ORC for $750 then $400 for the rail and sights if you want Troy? I see them around $750 once a month here locally, normal retail price is like $850. But not all mil-spec is the same.
And yet, its still the same price after all is said and done. Do the math.
Quote:
Any feed problems and how many rounds do you have down range on yours?
Not one problem, with 3 different type of brass case ammo. Id say around 12-1500 rounds down since I bought it in August.
Old 01-23-2011, 14:46   #9
USMCSGT ARMYMP OHLEO

Quote:
And yet, its still the same price after all is said and done. Do the math.

Yeah I noticed that too.....the price seemed good to me ...

Not one problem, with 3 different type of brass case ammo. Id say around 12-1500 rounds down since I bought it in August.
Sounds good I've read good reviews of this weapon and its reliability..
Old 01-23-2011, 15:02   #10
Turbodreams

Quote:
Sounds good I've read good reviews of this weapon and its reliability..
Its been great for me so far. Granted its not top of the line, but its way above and entry level AR15.
Old 01-23-2011, 15:07   #11
Serbonze

I chose that AR after quite a bit of searching. It had everything that I wanted and needed (even according to "the chart") and everything that I would have upgraded without the hassle. I'm a civilian and I'm not going to war, so I dont need everything to be mil-spec.

No issues at all so far.

I ordered mine from Buds, and it was a very easy process. I had never done that either. All I had to do was contact my local FFL and let them know that it was coming.

Good luck with your purchase!
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 16:15   #12
williamN

A quality rifle with the bonus of a top of the line FF rail and sights.

Both my MP15s shoot 75gr as accurately as 55gr and they both eat brass and steel case ammo.
williamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 16:56   #13
cowboy1964

M&P rifles are decent, especially compared to the likes of Rock River and the "cheaper" brands. It's all about the components.

Don't sweat 1:9 twist.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...=5&output=html
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 17:24   #14
GlockPride
Glock 23

I bought 15X for the wife about a year and half ago. Probably doesn't have 200 rounds down range, but it's a nice solid platform. Now that we are out in the country I expect her to shoot it alot more once it warms up.

I would definitely buy another Smith AR.
Eph6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13Therefore put on the full armor of God
GlockPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 19:16   #15
surf

Quote:

1) $1180 Price is good. It would be hard to go wrong.

2) Quality is good, but there is better. It is a good mid level rifle and it will probably do all that you ask of it.

3) You will have to factor shipping and transfer fee, which is normal no matter what you purchase online or out of state. You may be able to avoid FFL fees if you qualify for LEO purchase and can have it shipped direct to a PD address with a dept letterhead.

If you are an LEO you could purchase these rifles with a discount. They are better quality base rifles, with better accessories.
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/DD-M4.aspx for $1325 LEO price
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/DD-M4V2.aspx for $1315 LEO price
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/DD-XV.aspx for $959 LEO price

There are many more deals to be found out there, these are only a few examples.
surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 19:36   #16
USMCSGT ARMYMP OHLEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
1) $1180 Price is good. It would be hard to go wrong.

2) Quality is good, but there is better. It is a good mid level rifle and it will probably do all that you ask of it.

3) You will have to factor shipping and transfer fee, which is normal no matter what you purchase online or out of state. You may be able to avoid FFL fees if you qualify for LEO purchase and can have it shipped direct to a PD address with a dept letterhead.

If you are an LEO you could purchase these rifles with a discount. They are better quality base rifles, with better accessories.
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/DD-M4.aspx for $1325 LEO price
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/DD-M4V2.aspx for $1315 LEO price
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/DD-XV.aspx for $959 LEO price

There are many more deals to be found out there, these are only a few examples.
thanks for the info ....I keep finding more and more deals ouy there Im likeing the DD the more I read up on them...

and I also found a place up the street from my house that list $10 FFl fee so thats not bad at all and I'll ask if its free for LE
Old 01-23-2011, 20:17   #17
boomhower

For general use it will be fine. It's a pretty solid deal with nice accessories. If you may be shooting at something that will be shooting back I would go for something a little higher quality.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 20:50   #18
93GT
The Ogre

I have about 2000 rounds through mine since June 2008. No jams, groups well with 55 grain fmj, and the price was right. I am searching for a 1 in 7" 18 inch AR-15 next, but I am not getting rid of this one anytime soon. My only regret is not having the money to shoot it more often.
93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 15:33   #19
glock22357
Got Ammo???

I love my M&P15T (see avatar pic.)

Like others have said, it's a good deal for what you get with the Troy FF rails and sights. Really, the only issue is the steel that the barrel is made of, it's one small step down from Milspec, but for recreational shooting and HD/SD, that really doesn't matter, they aren't select fire and civilians aren't fighting hours long battles.

I have probably 2500 rds of M193 through mine, with no malfunctions of any kind. Accurate, reliable, and a sweet configuration with the rails, sights, and ready for an Eotech/Aimpoint optic, VFG and light.
glock22357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 18:26   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
M&P rifles are decent, especially compared to the likes of Rock River and the "cheaper" brands. It's all about the components.

Don't sweat 1:9 twist.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...=5&output=html
+1. Unless you're planning to shoot military tracers and 77 gr+ bullets 1/9 is fine. As a matter of fact you'll get longer barrel life with a slower twist gun and better accuracy. Always crack me up when mall ninjas get worked up about a must have 1/7 because "their" army uses 1/7.
S&W are good to go.