SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-23-2011, 16:33   #1
lomfs24

Send a message via AIM to lomfs24 Send a message via Yahoo to lomfs24
Binoculars with Mil-dots

WOW! It's been a while since I was on GT and boy has it changed. There are a million places to put a new thread, and while this post is not specifically about things you look through to make your gun shoot straight it is about things you look through so I thought this was the best place to put it.

Over the past couple of years I have really started to develop skills in using mil-dots for ranging. And it has improved my hunting a lot. This year my son started hunting with me for deer. And he was using my hunting rifle, which has the mil-dot scope. It was a pain (and probably not the safest either) for me to take the rifle help him range and then give the rifle back to him and tell him where to hold. It would have been so much easier and safer to have a pair of binoculars with dots in them. Who makes this type of binocular? I know that Leupold makes some but as with anything with an "L" on the front of it, they are not cheap. Does anyone else make binoculars with mil-dots or some sort of mil marking in them?

P.S. The other option would have been to teach my son how to read mil-dots and that will come. But since he is 10 and shooting his first deer math was the furtherest thing from his mind.
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going. ~Proverbs 14:15
lomfs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:05   #2
DJ Niner

Steiner makes several different models with mil-dot hash mark reticles (vertical AND horizontal), but they are probably more spendy than the Leupolds. Several models listed here:

http://swfa.com/Steiner-Tactical-Mil...lars-C394.aspx

and this one has some type of rage-finding reticle, but they don't call it a mil-dot system, so I'm not sure what it uses:

http://swfa.com/Steiner-7x50-Observe...lar-P5597.aspx
"The compass also includes a range finding reticle for distance determination, and electronic compass illumination for bearings in darkness."
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 22:50   #3
lomfs24

Send a message via AIM to lomfs24 Send a message via Yahoo to lomfs24
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this thread. This weekend was a nightmare. Anyway, I looked at those Steiners you pointed to. They do look like nice binoc's. Not any cheaper than Leupold, that's for sure. Looks like they have two different range finding reticles. One is listed as a standard mil and the other really doesn't say what it is. If I had to guess I would say it's an MOA rather than a mil but that is a total and absolute guess. I suppose either would work however, I think I would like to stay with the standard mil because it would be easier and faster to call shots to my son. Rather than figure distance on MOA, convert to drop, convert to mil and call a hold over. Lot of room for errors. Instead I could range, I already know my drops in mils, and call a hold over.

I guess I will have to bite the bullet and buy a Leupold.
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going. ~Proverbs 14:15
lomfs24 is offline   Reply With Quote