Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2011, 19:20   #1
CDR_Glock

Night Sights: Question. Advantage Of Different Colors

I have Meprolight Night Sights on my Glock 23 and 27, in green. I was considering getting contrast on my Glock 30 by getting a combination color, Green/Orange. What are the advantages/disadvantages?

My YouTube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 19:23   #2
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
I have Meprolight Night Sights on my Glock 23 and 27, in green. I was considering getting contrast on my Glock 30 by getting a combination color, Green/Orange. What are the advantages/disadvantages?
That's what I use... I like the contrast. Easier for me to form a sight picture in low light, not that it would matter much in a fight.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:43   #3
RayB
Retired Member

The only downside is that some colors, such as orange or red, have a shorter lamp life than green. Yellow and green are supposed to have a similar lamp life.

As to the sight picture, I really like the two color approach!

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:57   #4
DannyR

There is no advantage. Disadvantage is that the other colors are not as bright at green.

Now in total darkness contrasting colors may be easier to align, but one should not be shooting in total darkness because one cannot see or identify the target.
Bull Dawg #1

DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:47   #5
swinokur

I got my Kimber /w Green Green. I thought I'd try 1 each of the other combos on my 2 Glocks. Danny is right. The best sight combo IMO is green green. IMO the brightness is more important than the color difference.

The Mepro orange sight don't have as long a life as the others and the warranty says that.

My .02
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 15:17   #6
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
There is no advantage. Disadvantage is that the other colors are not as bright at green.

Now in total darkness contrasting colors may be easier to align, but one should not be shooting in total darkness because one cannot see or identify the target.

We all see what we see...

The human eye-brain could be said to be a unique perspective. For example, while white and black are spectroscopic opposites, most people see yellow/black, bright green/black and bright orange/black, as having the more striking contrast. That's an eye-brain thing.

Of the tritium lamps out there, green does appear to be the brightest to the human eye-brain, which is why the green lamp should go on the front sight, in a two-color set up.

Also regarding relative brightness, keep in mind that in the case of Meprolight and the Glock OEM Night Sights, the front lamp appears brighter than the rear lamps do--by design--even in an all-green set up..

While I've never felt handicapped by the all-green set up, my fifty-five year old diabetic eyes see the green/yellow set up just as well, and the gun's orientation is even more obvious to me.

I am, of course, talking low light here, not total darkness, which would render aiming by sights impossible… All things considered, I see no downside to green/yellow lamps.

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote