Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2011, 22:06   #1
tyler2you

Sight Height Issue on CCO

Looking for some advice from some fellow shooters on an issue I'm having with my DW CCO.

I took it to the range for the first time and found it was shooting way high (7.5") as detailed here:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=299706

My calculation in the above thread was a bit off due to my short changing the sight radius. Based on my corrected calculations using a 5.25" (Commander) sight radius, it looks like I need another .04375" of height over the factory installed .150" sight. My calculation looked like this:

(Amount of error X sight radius) / Distance to Target = Correction Required

(7.5 X 5.25) / 900 = .04375

Seemed like a .195" high sight ought to do it.

I tried calling DW last Monday and got the "everyone's at SHOT" story--"try again after the 24th". I went ahead and detailed my experience in an email and attached the photo showing my target.

Much to my surprise, I got an email this evening from Keith at DW saying:

"I have never seen any of our guns shoot more than 4” high at 25 yards. To account for your impacts you would need a .080” taller front sight. This is impossible. I would suggest trying again with standard ball ammo."

I shot the group in the linked thread with 230gr ammo and shot similar groups using 200gr SWC ammo.

Is this "impossible", or am I losing my "enlightenment"?

Edited to add: Since DW doesn't appear too interested in helping me solve this issue, my next step will be to take the sight off of my Valor (.190") and see if it gets me close. If it does, I'll be sure to email Keith a picture of the "miracle".

Last edited by tyler2you; 01-24-2011 at 22:10..
tyler2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 22:33   #2
Quack
Rent this space

how about a combination of a lower rear sight (if they accidentally installed a .375" rear sight) and a taller front?

FWIW, we installed a .325" 10-8 rear on Knedrgr's CCO with the factory front sight. and it shoots POA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Quack; 01-24-2011 at 22:36..
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:42   #3
polizei1
It WAS Quack

Send a message via AIM to polizei1
That's horse*****, if you pay THAT much money for a gun, they should fix it no questions asked. If you've not had several people test it, do that and see if they have the same results. Also, try a few different manufactures of ammo. If it's still off I'd raise hell. If it's truly the pistol, DW needs to fix it, on their dime. There's no way I would pay my money to try different sight combos just to get the right one!

Or, you could take this "opportunity" to just put new sights on if that's what you desire.

Last edited by polizei1; 01-25-2011 at 06:44..
polizei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:33   #4
tyler2you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
how about a combination of a lower rear sight (if they accidentally installed a .375" rear sight) and a taller front?

FWIW, we installed a .325" 10-8 rear on Knedrgr's CCO with the factory front sight. and it shoots POA
Thanks Quack--that's good advice. Was Knedrgr's CCO also shooting high before the sight change?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:52   #5
Quack
Rent this space

Nope, shot correctly. Just mentioning the rear sight because it might be too tall. When I had a .375" rear sight on one of my Springfields, it shot 6" high. When I changed it to a .325" it was dead on.

Got the .375" 10-8 sight since it was recommended, but learned that isn't the case.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:17   #6
tyler2you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Nope, shot correctly. Just mentioning the rear sight because it might be too tall. When I had a .375" rear sight on one of my Springfields, it shot 6" high. When I changed it to a .325" it was dead on.

Got the .375" 10-8 sight since it was recommended, but learned that isn't the case.
Thanks again--I'll measure my rear sight when I get home. At least I've got a couple of options without having to rely on DW CS.
Old 01-25-2011, 18:48   #7
HAIL CAESAR

Tyler,

I think you can shoot...so you do have a issue. This is a bad time for a small gun business because of SHOT. But be persistent and Keith will fix it.
HAIL CAESAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 18:51   #8
tyler2you

Wow Quack, you nailed it. I measured my rear sight, and sho nuff, it's .375"

Edited to add: Bad measuring on my part--it's actually .325"

Checked all of my other 1911s and they all have .325" rear sights except for my EMP 40 which is somewhere around .350"

I'll email DW and see what they have to say.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

Last edited by tyler2you; 02-14-2011 at 19:02..
Old 01-25-2011, 18:56   #9
Quack
Rent this space

Just looking at the pic of the rear sight it kinda looks tall.
A .325" rear will correct it, if it is .375" tall.

Last edited by Quack; 01-25-2011 at 18:57..
Old 01-25-2011, 18:57   #10
tyler2you

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIL CAESAR View Post
Tyler,

I think you can shoot...so you do have a issue. This is a bad time for a small gun business because of SHOT. But be persistent and Keith will fix it.
Yep, and email being what it is, I probably took Keith's "impossible" comment a little too personally. I'm sure he deals with a good share of inexperienced folks who aren't necessarily fanatics like most of us here.

I'll be patient.
Old 01-25-2011, 19:46   #11
HAIL CAESAR

Tyler,
You hit the nail on the head. I talk to lots of people in the gun business and they talk to all kinds of dingbats all day long. It may not be right, but Keith may assume (wrongfully) that you are a wingnut that is complaining about a POI issue when you couldn't hit a barn a 5 foot. Get in contact with him and explain in detail you issue in a pleasant manner.

I think you will see results.
Old 01-25-2011, 19:57   #12
HAIL CAESAR

Mine is .375 rear. And .225 front.

But if I measure the front the way you are measuring it is .150
Old 01-25-2011, 20:00   #13
HAIL CAESAR

Mine is .375 rear. And .225 front.

But if I measure the front the way you are measuring it is .150
Old 01-25-2011, 20:28   #14
Quack
Rent this space

just checked my Guardian, and it's a .325" rear sight with a .140" front sight, which is the same as i'm running on my SA Champion. my Kobra Carry uses a .325" rear and a .180" front sight.

Old 01-25-2011, 20:52   #15
HAIL CAESAR

Tyler!!! I'm sooooo sorry. Flu season has hit my household and between the Robitussin and Petron I measured the rear wrong. It is indeed .325.

I was wondering how the heck Quack got the .325 only to find out I'm the one with double vision.
Old 01-25-2011, 21:01   #16
Quack
Rent this space

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler2you View Post
Wow Quack, you nailed it. I measured my rear sight, and sho nuff, it's .375"

Checked all of my other 1911s and they all have .325" rear sights except for my EMP 40 which is somewhere around .350"
That's why i get paid the big bucks and don't work much, just ask knedrgr.

The EMP is .375"

Last edited by Quack; 01-25-2011 at 21:02..
Old 01-25-2011, 22:35   #17
tyler2you

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIL CAESAR View Post
Tyler!!! I'm sooooo sorry. Flu season has hit my household and between the Robitussin and Petron I measured the rear wrong. It is indeed .325.

I was wondering how the heck Quack got the .325 only to find out I'm the one with double vision.
No worries--I appreciate the effort. Although, your first measurement had me wondering.

I'm guessing that skyscraper rear sight is the source of my issues.

Edited to add: Not so much--it was the short front.

Last edited by tyler2you; 02-14-2011 at 19:04..
Old 01-25-2011, 22:37   #18
tyler2you

Thanks for the help Quack. I truly appreciate it.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:49   #19
knedrgr

glad you'd found the problem. Now for DW to send you the correct sight...or install it on your pistol.

Let us know what they say, and see how their CS turns out.
COTEFT #2

knedrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:47   #20
lsbbigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizei1 View Post
That's horse*****, if you pay THAT much money for a gun, they should fix it no questions asked. If you've not had several people test it, do that and see if they have the same results. Also, try a few different manufactures of ammo. If it's still off I'd raise hell. If it's truly the pistol, DW needs to fix it, on their dime. There's no way I would pay my money to try different sight combos just to get the right one!

Or, you could take this "opportunity" to just put new sights on if that's what you desire.
+1 . They should have said send it to us and we will look at it.

I would try having someone else shoot it just to see how high they shoot it.

lsbbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote