Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-16-2014, 19:41   #1
ottomatic

6070 Discontinued! What now??????

I just had a major shock. My 10 year old Raptor finally wore out (internally), and I went to look for a replacement, only to find out that hey have been discontinued. I am shocked and disheartened, as I consider them the safest duty holster ever made. What does Safariland suggest as a replacement? All the newer ones that I see (such as the otherwise excellent 6360) are not TRUE level 3 holsters. They only require TWO actions in order to remove the gun, which make them a level 2 as I was taught.
1. So what options do I have that I have overlooked?
2. Does anyone have a serviceable 6070 for a 229R (prefereable in basketweave), that they want to part with?

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Matthew 5:9
ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 20:18   #2
bikerdog

6070 Discontinued! What now??????

My understanding ( and im probably wrong ) is that the level 3 holsters have TWO safety's. They don't need three actions to make them a level three. At least thats what I was taught.

That said I just recently got one of these http://www.tdlabsadmin.com/Holsters/...lster-p18.html and absolutely frigging love it.

It is very intuitive to release. And man is it quick once you figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

Last edited by bikerdog; 12-16-2014 at 20:19..
bikerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 21:09   #3
Schaffer

Schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 21:35   #4
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

There are tons of Raptors out there. They weren't very popular, at least here and I have not seen any agency issue them and the ones I have seen were bought by the officers who liked that old 070 action. You can find a ton of them online and I know I saw a few over at the local supply house because they can't sell them.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:41   #5
ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdog View Post
My understanding ( and im probably wrong ) is that the level 3 holsters have TWO safety's. They don't need three actions to make them a level three. At least thats what I was taught.

That said I just recently got one of these http://www.tdlabsadmin.com/Holsters/...lster-p18.html and absolutely frigging love it.

It is very intuitive to release. And man is it quick once you figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
The way I was taught (FWIW), was: for each level of security, there needed to be some action taken, ie "thumbreak = level one, etc. The Raptor is a true level 3 as it requires three actions: 1. ALS hood. 2. Button on the rear has to be depressed. 3. gun needs to be rocked backwards in order to be able to draw it. If you are REALLY paranoid about having your gun taken, you can upgrade it to a level 4 with an ALS lock.

Link for the Xcalibur holster only lists Glock models, not SIGs.

Last edited by ottomatic; 12-17-2014 at 08:44..
Old 12-17-2014, 08:42   #6
ottomatic

Thanks for that link, I'll keep an eye on it, although I was really wanting (needing) a basketweave.

Last edited by ottomatic; 12-17-2014 at 08:43..
Old 12-17-2014, 08:49   #7
ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
There are tons of Raptors out there. They weren't very popular, at least here and I have not seen any agency issue them and the ones I have seen were bought by the officers who liked that old 070 action. You can find a ton of them online and I know I saw a few over at the local supply house because they can't sell them.
We have one local agency that issues them for their 226s. Many officers didn't like them as they were somewhat complicated to learn. That is EXACTLY why I like it. I truly believe that it is extremely unlikely that anyone else is going to be able to take my gun. But once you have learned how to use it, then it is as fast as anything out there.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:49   #8
x_out86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomatic View Post
I just had a major shock. My 10 year old Raptor finally wore out (internally), and I went to look for a replacement, only to find out that hey have been discontinued. I am shocked and disheartened, as I consider them the safest duty holster ever made. What does Safariland suggest as a replacement? All the newer ones that I see (such as the otherwise excellent 6360) are not TRUE level 3 holsters. They only require TWO actions in order to remove the gun, which make them a level 2 as I was taught.
2. Does anyone have a serviceable 6070 for a 229R (prefereable in basketweave), that they want to part with?
Did you check with safariland to see if they would repair the holster for you? I had the hood break on mine along with the internal retention being worn. I called safariland, got their shipping info and sent it out. They repaired it, cleaned it, and even sanded down a few rough spots, then got it back to me. All of that was free. Might be worth looking into.
I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.
x_out86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:14   #9
ray9898

CDNN has one in stock listed at $59.

CDNN Sports
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 15:30   #10
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
We have one local agency that issues them for their 226s. Many officers didn't like them as they were somewhat complicated to learn. That is EXACTLY why I like it. I truly believe that it is extremely unlikely that anyone else is going to be able to take my gun. But once you have learned how to use it, then it is as fast as anything out there.
I'll second this. I used one of these when I did armed security work, and LOVED it. It does have a learning curve to it, but once you get it down, it's just as fast as an ALS, and even more secure. I wish I still had it, honestly.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 16:43   #11
ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
CDNN has one in stock listed at $59.

CDNN Sports
THANK YOU for finding that. Ordered it immediately.

Old 12-17-2014, 16:45   #12
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
THANK YOU for finding that. Ordered it immediately.
I'm going to have to start hunting one for a Glock now....just because.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
Old 12-17-2014, 17:41   #13
Top_Shot_31

Quote:
Quote:
The way I was taught (FWIW), was: for each level of security, there needed to be some action taken, ie "thumbreak = level one, etc. The Raptor is a true level 3 as it requires three actions: 1. ALS hood. 2. Button on the rear has to be depressed. 3. gun needs to be rocked backwards in order to be able to draw it. If you are REALLY paranoid about having your gun taken, you can upgrade it to a level 4 with an ALS lock.

Link for the Xcalibur holster only lists Glock models, not SIGs.
The 6360 is considered a level III holster because you must do the following.

1)Depress SLS Hood
2)Rotate Hood Forward
3)Depress ALS lever.

The depressing of the SLS hood alone does not relieve it of that retention, but only allows you to then rotate the hood forward, which does relieve it of that retention.

http://www.safariland.com/holsters-a...on-levels.html

Fast forward 6 months for the DUI trial. Prosecutor is reviewing the booking room video and asks me why I am moon-walking while the drunk offender is hopping around in slow motion in a big white suit.
Top_Shot_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 18:11   #14
ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Shot_31 View Post
The 6360 is considered a level III holster because you must do the following.

1)Depress SLS Hood
2)Rotate Hood Forward
3)Depress ALS lever.

The depressing of the SLS hood alone does not relieve it of that retention, but only allows you to then rotate the hood forward, which does relieve it of that retention.

http://www.safariland.com/holsters-a...on-levels.html

Safariland® Holster Retention Levels - YouTube
Good research. If they split dropping the hood into two sections, then the Raptor would have been a level 4 out the box, with an optional level 5 if you include the hood lock.
But I do see where they are coming from.

Old 12-17-2014, 19:00   #15
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Good research. If they split dropping the hood into two sections, then the Raptor would have been a level 4 out the box, with an optional level 5 if you include the hood lock.
Yes, under the new Safariland retention level system, the Raptor is a Level 4. I think it shows that in the description on CDNN.

Quote:
Old 12-18-2014, 00:23   #16
Top_Shot_31

Quote:
The whole level thing is confusing as hell to me, so that helped me a little bit. I think a 6360 is a damn fine holster whether you consider it a 'true' level III or not. Add the hood guard and I would consider it a level III+, and with a Sentry, a IV. I've never used a 6070, but I've never been worried about the security of my 6360/
Fast forward 6 months for the DUI trial. Prosecutor is reviewing the booking room video and asks me why I am moon-walking while the drunk offender is hopping around in slow motion in a big white suit.
Top_Shot_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:20   #17
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

The old 070 SS-III was as fast as anything else as long as you practiced with it. I used one for a year and got pretty good with it. Never had it hang up once.

As with all gear, it's up to you to get good with it because it's your life that depends on it, nobody else.

I have since used the SLS with a hood guard and sentry latch for my level 3 retention with front takeaway protection. It's good enough for government work.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:15   #18
PinkoCommie
Unusual Member

The whole holster retention level thing is quite varied between manufacturers and "authorities" on the subject. NIJ undertook an effort to develop standard definitions of holster retention levels, similarly to what they do when certifying ballistic vests (Level IIA, II, IIIA must stop the same minimum threats regardless of manufacturer). This has been an ongoing effort for a little while now, and I haven't seen any updates.

Here is some info:
https://www.justnet.org/pdf/00-DutyHol-Fact-Sheet.pdf
http://www.nij.gov/topics/technology...velopment.aspx

Anyway... interesting topic.
This wasn't me... --DaBigBR
I was hauling a large quotient of ass. --Cochese
PinkoCommie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 21:12   #19
collim1
Shower Time!

I found a new old stock one in nylon for my P226 a few months ago so they are out there. I still like the old 6070 but they have been gone for a while. The new ALS holsters are better IMO but I am so used to the Raptor I have stuck with it.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 21:28   #20
ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
The old 070 SS-III was as fast as anything else as long as you practiced with it. I used one for a year and got pretty good with it. Never had it hang up once.

As with all gear, it's up to you to get good with it because it's your life that depends on it, nobody else.

I have since used the SLS with a hood guard and sentry latch for my level 3 retention with front takeaway protection. It's good enough for government work.

We still have about half out dept in 070s. They are fast (to draw). Their retention is also good. But I'll tell you what sucks on them: Reholstering! Try doing it at a dead run. Ain't gonna happen. I have talked to several officers who have (unofficially) admitted losing their weapon out of their holster (070 / SSIII) when they thought they had a felony stop, that then turned into a foot-chase.

Last edited by ottomatic; 12-18-2014 at 21:29..