GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 22:20   #1
1faSStchevy
Senior Member
 
1faSStchevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 462
Recommend me a new tower

I need a new tower but no idea what to get. Looking to spend around $600. I was thinking about a Dell Inspiron 580. Any suggestions?
__________________
Florida Glocker #134A

Currently: G26, G27, Mossberg 500A, Revelation model 330b, Mini-14 and 10/22
Wish List: G23, Savage .17HMR, Colt GoldCup 1911
1faSStchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 22:32   #2
Linux3
Senior Member
 
Linux3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1faSStchevy View Post
I need a new tower but no idea what to get. Looking to spend around $600. I was thinking about a Dell Inspiron 580. Any suggestions?
That's like saying you need a new gun what should you buy.

Needs to be a whole lot more info.
What's the system for?
What OS do you want to run.
What software?
Are you a gamer?

And on and on.
__________________
It it's not on fire,
It's a software problem.

Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 21:28   #3
1faSStchevy
Senior Member
 
1faSStchevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 462
Fair enough. I really only use it for surfing, couple games and storing pictures. I want it to be fast. I don't care about the OS I just don't want a bunch of "Office" junk. I really dont know much about these dern things but from what I've been told this Dell is pretty good. Others say stay away and get a HP but I'm not so sure about that.
Some specs: Inspiron 580
Intel® Core™ i3-550 processor(4MB Cache, 3.20GHz)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz- 3 DIMMs
I need to hear something from someone who doesn't have an "invested intrest" in what I buy. Thanks
__________________
Florida Glocker #134A

Currently: G26, G27, Mossberg 500A, Revelation model 330b, Mini-14 and 10/22
Wish List: G23, Savage .17HMR, Colt GoldCup 1911
1faSStchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 21:35   #4
zackwatt
Lifetime Membership
SCCC Supporter
 
zackwatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 4,860


I would go Lenovo over Dell...
__________________
G22, G27, Beretta 92FS/OD, USP45-Tactical, Desert Eagle .50, HK P7-PSP
Remington 700P, Colt 6920, Kimber Ultra CDP II, Walther P-38 AC42, S&W 442


Remember: "Heavy is Good, Heavy is Reliable. Plus, If It Doesn't Work You Can Always Hit Them with It."
zackwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 23:15   #5
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 29,692
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by zackwatt View Post
I would go Lenovo over Dell...
I probably would to...

I thought you wanted to buy a Case so you can build your own...

I've got a hankering to pick this case up.. This think just looks AWESOME.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...34207&CatId=32
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 23:30   #6
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester
 
HotRoderX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,297
If you can find a Lenovo its your best bet for quality other wise go HP. I still tend to prefer to build my own but i know 99% of people that's not a option

Don't go with
Compaq (sub par build quality in parts)
Emachine (cheapo dell)
Dell (sub par build quality)

also don't be scared of AMD systems people will say there under powered and this and that but its BS for what your looking to do AMD would be fine Basically with a Intel your paying 30% more for 10% more power. Not saying there anything wrong with a Intel just keep in mind AMD is just as good.
HotRoderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:06   #7
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 29,692
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRoderX View Post
If you can find a Lenovo its your best bet for quality other wise go HP. I still tend to prefer to build my own but i know 99% of people that's not a option

Don't go with
Compaq (sub par build quality in parts)
Emachine (cheapo dell)
Dell (sub par build quality)

also don't be scared of AMD systems people will say there under powered and this and that but its BS for what your looking to do AMD would be fine Basically with a Intel your paying 30% more for 10% more power. Not saying there anything wrong with a Intel just keep in mind AMD is just as good.
Compaq and HP are the same crap with different labels.. If you're really looking for quality, your only real options are Lenovo and Toshiba, and maybe Sony.

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:14   #8
Linux3
Senior Member
 
Linux3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I probably would to...
I thought you wanted to buy a Case so you can build your own...
I've got a hankering to pick this case up.. This think just looks AWESOME.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...34207&CatId=32
I'm starting to get the bits together to build a new desktop. I have not bought a case yet and I thought I wanted basic black.....
IGF you are going to cost me money. I really, really like that case.

If you want to buy a system I would look at Lenovo outlet or Dell outlet.
http://outlet.lenovo.com/desktops/id.../k-series.html
http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...060&l=en&s=dfh
__________________
It it's not on fire,
It's a software problem.

Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:18.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,075
367 Members
708 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42