SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-23-2010, 23:27   #1
thug23

I need help/advice please

I want to buy a S&W revolver.

I have looked & looked for a while now and I think I have narrowed down my choices but could use some "real" advice please.

I was looking for a .357 mag. that is small in size, and easy to carry & conceal.

It looks like the following models fit the bill but I'm not sure which one to go for as they all seem very similar.

Could you give me your advice?

A. S&W 60 .357 Mag. 2 1/8" stainless steel

B. S&W 640 .357 Mag. 2 1/8" satin stainless

C. S&W 686 .357 Mag. 2.5"
thug23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:43   #2
IDPA_Shooter

The 60 & 640 are a small framed S&W revolvers. This generally means that they will be lighter in weight and load 5 rounds in the cylinder. The 640 is a double action only internal hammer design. Both have stainless frames.

The 686 is a mid-sized frame revolver. These are generally larger and weigh more. They carry 6 or 7 rounds depending on model.

Based on the barrel length you seem to want a carry model. If so, the most often chosen models are the 442/642 38 special +p models. These alloy framed internal hammer models are ideal for pocket carry. The Gold Dot short barrel loads are very well thought of in these small light pocket pistols.

Note recoil and muzzle blast increase for the 357 Mag models with little "Stopping Power" increase in short barrels.
IDPA_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 19:32   #3
walkin' trails

My experience with the J-frame .357s is that they kick like the proverbial mule with magnum loads. Because they're all steel, shooting .38 Sp +Ps thru them is decent. I had a 60 in 357, and it shot noticibly lower with magnums than with a 147-158 grain 38 load. In the J-frames, I tend to prefer the older versions chambered or 38 Sp. The 686 is a great all-round magnum revolver and much more shootable. On the other hand, its larger and much heavier. Selecting which one depends on what you want it for, how you're going to carry, and how much you plan to shoot...especially with magnum loads.
Firearms Instructor
walkin' trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 21:06   #4
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

60 or 640 depends on if you want an exposed hammer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:35   #5
JRWnTN

There's a lot of difference in carrying a J-frame and an L-frame revolver. You need to handle and shoot the different size pistols before making a decision.
JRWnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:27   #6
thug23

Just for the record I purchased a 686 SSR 4" barrel
thug23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:06   #7
glockess56
CLM Number 295
Charter Lifetime Member

I like the 638, with the serated hammer. It's great for pocket or holster carry and is light. I have the crimson trace on it and it's shoots straight and accurate.
glockess56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 20:42   #8
phonejack

I have 642 and a pro series m-60. love them both. you won't like shooting .357's in a j-frame. but, do it once just to know.(the m-60 does have adj. sights but at self-defence range ranges that is a non-issue)
phonejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 21:06   #9
str8tshooter

I hope there are some others out there that can offer some advice. My wife is looking for a carry revolver, and she has looked at the 642, in 38 spl, but doesn't like how light is feels. She is currently looking at the 640-1 in 357 mag in stainless steel. She plans on shooting 38 spl +p, as a SD round. The 640-1 is heavier and has a completely enclosed hammer too, which should allow her to carry easier and could be either pulled out snaglessly or shot through her purse if necessary, without hanging up inside there. She likes the extra weight of the stainless 357. Our only problem is finding one to shoot before laying down the cash for one she may not like and having to resell it for a loss if she doesn't like it. I know there are a lot of you out there that own this gun, could you shed some light on our thought process. P. S. She really likes the trigger pull on this gun vs. the 642, and the Ruger SP101. Thank you for your thoughts.
str8tshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 21:38   #10
pennlineman

I think you guys are on the right track. I see a lot of people recommending light weight revolvers for new shooters. IMO this is a mistake. The recoil is heavy with these guns, some seasoned shooters have a hard time with them. I have a 640-1 that is a heavy all steel gun, with it the recoil is tolerable with .38 spl +p's.

Try looking for any steel framed J frame S&W for her to try out. Even the ones chambered in .38 spl. If she can handle one of these the 640 should be just fine. The 640 is made on the magnum J frame which is a little beefier, therefore heavier than the standard J frames. So the recoil will be even less.

My wife is not a fan of recoil. Her favorite carry gun is a S&W M-36 in .38spl. She shoots it and my 640-1 very well. The only difference between the two is that hers has an exposed hammer and is on the standard vs magnum frame. Good luck!

Last edited by pennlineman; 01-30-2011 at 21:39..
pennlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 23:42   #11
desertdisciple
CLM Number 73
Charter Lifetime Member

Str8tshooter...
DEFINITELY a steel frame & my personal preference of those J's, is the 640.

*Got 640, for my wife, if I can ever get her to carry it. It's hard, because she's a High School teacher & spends so much time on campus (where she can't ).

Her 640:

Smith & Wesson Club

I have a J-frame, that I love...
But b/c it's a lil' Titanium/Scandium, so even when I carried it regularly... It was shot a little & carried a lot. Stays in the safe, most days...but its so easy to carry, I doubt I'll ever get rid of it.

340PD (not for the feint of heart):

Smith & Wesson Club

Jesus follower & NRA Member!

Member #1906 of:
1911 Club; Rimfire Club; Wheelhouse;
Smith & Wesson Club; Sub Club; .40 S & W Club
desertdisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 23:45   #12
desertdisciple
CLM Number 73
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thug23 View Post
Just for the record I purchased a 686 SSR 4" barrel
HEY THUG...
You know it's a LAW...
That ya' got to show it!

Jesus follower & NRA Member!

Member #1906 of:
1911 Club; Rimfire Club; Wheelhouse;
Smith & Wesson Club; Sub Club; .40 S & W Club
desertdisciple is offline   Reply With Quote