Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2011, 16:32   #1
chuck pullen

Question Re: 870 Mag. Extension UPDATE

I recently bought an 18 inch barrel for my 870 Wingmaster and am considering a magazine extension. I will probably get the Remington brand one. My question is which extension fits flush with the end of the 18 in. barrel ? The 2 round extension ? Thanks.

UPDATE:
This is an 18.5 inch barrel. I misspoke. I went ahead and ordered a 2 round Scattergun Technologies magazine extension for two reasons 1) I could not find
the Remington extension I wanted for less than $20 more than the Wilson/Scattergun and 2) I've heard good things about the Scattergun extensions.

Thanks again,
Chuck

Last edited by chuck pullen; 01-31-2011 at 16:11..
chuck pullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 16:33   #2
swinokur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck pullen View Post
I recently bought an 18 inch barrel for my 870 Wingmaster and am considering a magazine extension. I will probably get the Remington brand one. My question is which extension fits flush with the end of the 18 in. barrel ? The 2 round extension ? Thanks.
yup. sits flush with the end
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 17:08   #3
denn1911

Yes- flush.
denn1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 17:41   #4
chuck pullen

Thanks guys.
Old 01-30-2011, 18:02   #5
aippi

Sorry but no. the Remington 2 shot extension will not end flush with the 18" barrel it wil extend 1/2" past it. If your barrel is 18.5" the 2 shot Remington extension will end flush. New Remington barrels come in 18.5" not 18. There are plenty of 18" ones still out there and even being sold as new, old stock. You said you got an 18" so I am correctly answering your question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 19:07   #6
Bill G

I suggest the Wilson Combat 2 shot ext over the Remington one. Better quality over all and no clamp is needed on the barrel. It will also be flush or a little less.

Take Care,
Bill G
Old 01-31-2011, 16:13   #7
chuck pullen

Update in original post.
Old 02-01-2011, 13:03   #8
cancov

I thinking of a build, but something longer than 18.5". It will be a Rem 870 of course, but perhaps 26" or 28". In regards to mag extensions, what length would be left between the mag and the barrel on a:

7 Round mag with 26" barrel
8 Round mag with 26" barrel

7 Round mag with 28" barrel
8 Round mag with 28" barrel
cancov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 19:06   #9
gnasty1521

I think Choate makes a 10-shot magazine extension for a 26" barrel, so that with a 28" would leave enough for a rail. But it does beg the question, "Why would you have an extension on a shotgun, which isn't very tactical?" To each their own, but 22" and above barrels are widely known as hunting barrels, and I am pretty sure the Wardens wouldn't be happy to find you with 7 or 8 rounds in the gun while hunting.

Additionally, and this is based on the limited information on the use of the gun, a long barrel on a tactical weapon leaves more opportunity for the enemy to grab your weapon, or for him to see it around a corner when you are clearing any rooms. I hate to sound like a mall ninja, but there is always a 'what if'. What are you trying to do and there will be much more specific information we can give you...
gnasty1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:33   #10
dalglockr

I have a 20" rifle sighted barrel on my wingmaster. I had heard a +3 mag extension would be flush on this, after reading this thread it looks as if it may stick out a bit. Anyone with magtube extension experience on a 20" barrel?
dalglockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:58   #11
dalglockr

Talked to Remington today, they said the +3 was made to fit the 20" barrel, & may be about 1/4" shorter. A little pricey for the kit, but they said all parts are matching blued steel. I spoke to another vendor that said they stick out about a half inch past the barrel, & come with some black pieces. Not sure if there are different factory +3 blued extensions, but as the walnut furniture is nice, this is the only other mod I'll be doing to this gun, I wanted to have the tube as close to flush as possible.
Old 02-03-2011, 14:54   #12
aippi

The cubical clown at Remington told you wrong. The 3 rd extension would extend a full 1/2" past the barrel. Also, the mag tube coupling and the barrel bracket are a matte black finish not blue as you were told. They don't make those two parts in blued finish. The Tube would be blued but is not going to be the deep blued finish of your barrel or receiver. I have just told you the facts regardless of what Remington or anyone else has told you as I have installed dozens of the 3 rd tubes customers rebuilds and I am a Remington parts dealer and know the Remington parts list and parts for the shotguns as well as anyone who is going to answer the telephone there. I am often amazed at the things they tell customers. In their defense, they have to know the entire line of Remington parts and now H&R, I only need to know the 870 and 11-87 Parts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:19   #13
dalglockr

Thanks for the reply aippi. If the blued extension will not match my receiver and barrel, as you mentioned, what would you recommend I put on my wingmaster?
Old 02-04-2011, 05:06   #14
swinokur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalglockr View Post
Thanks for the reply aippi. If the blued extension will not match my receiver and barrel, as you mentioned, what would you recommend I put on my wingmaster?
I have the blued +2 extension on my 870 Express and to me the difference in the color is not noticeable, at least to me. It's one of those situations where the only person who knows it's different is you

My ,02
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:13   #15
Nutt51

I got this exact extension for my 870, but without the
sling bracket, just the tube.
It is solid as is and does not need to be clamped to the
barrel. Good luck.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Extensio...info/SGET-U-2/

"I figure that a man's only good for one oath at a time. I made mine to the Confederate States Of America".
"John Wayne", "The Searchers".

Last edited by Nutt51; 02-04-2011 at 12:22..
Nutt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 15:45   #16
DFin

I have a 3 shot extension from Tanks Rifle Shop on my 20 inch barrel 870 w/rifle sights. It does not extend past the end of the muzzle. I bought it back in the late 80's.

Last edited by DFin; 02-04-2011 at 15:45..
DFin is offline   Reply With Quote