Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2011, 21:19   #1
12dmax

Stock G29 load

Has anyone safely reached 1200FPS, 180XTP , stock G29 ? I've been working up with blue dot and feel I,ve gone as far as I care to SAFELY go with this powder with stock barrel. Consistent 1161FPS.

Tom

Last edited by 12dmax; 01-30-2011 at 21:21..
12dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 21:36   #2
12dmax

just saw some data in the IMR sticky for 800X, will work up some loads with mike's data.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:26   #3
JTknives

800-X is your monkey if you want to really push it to the max. A lot of people say use onley mag primers with 800-x. I started that way only using CCI-350 primers but then got some CCI-300 primers and fell in love. my groups tightened right up and i was not seeing much velocity drop. I think there might be some powders out there that need mag primers. but honestly i don't think the 10mm is one of them. I say try both in your gun and see what preforms better being that you have a much shorter barrel then my glock 20 with a lone wolf. So far out of the all the loads i have tried i love a 200gr cast boolit and 8gr-9gr of 800-x with a CCI-300 primer. There not screaming fast but man are thy accurate. 800-x really starts to shine with heaver bullets like the 200gr XTP. I love 800-X so much its the only powder i use for my 10mm and i buy it in 8lb kegs.
JTknives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:43   #4
Burien

800x yea, you'll get it, but go up slow
Burien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 17:00   #5
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12dmax View Post
Has anyone safely reached 1200FPS, 180XTP , stock G29 ? I've been working up with blue dot and feel I,ve gone as far as I care to SAFELY go with this powder with stock barrel. Consistent 1161FPS.

Tom
Blue dot is all show no go...It's fun for that!

Get 800x and hand weigh it. It should not be a problem to meet that standard in bold.
Old 01-31-2011, 17:35   #6
12dmax

Thanks fellas, I've got alot of 800X for the 12 and will work up some loads with it

Also ran across this in my digging:

Quote:
180 grain XTP
Longshot powder
CCI 350 primers
PMC brass (once fired)
OAL 1.260"
G29

Shooting Chrony F1
five shot average:

9.2 1240
9.4 1250
9.6 1265
9.8 1280
10.0 1295

My chrony does not do all the fancy stuff, simply velocity, so averages are my math. There were no overpressure signs at all...no flattened primers, Glock smiles or abnormal case bulges. These loads were weighed by hand. I could not be happier with the results.
looks like something to wrestle with. __________________
Old 02-01-2011, 18:21   #7
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Accurate # 9 should get you there too. WAY nicer to work with than 800x, low flash and clean burning. Recipe data can be found at the accurate website. Cross check that against Hornady load data. There is quite a wide gap in max loads.

I've had spooky results with 180 xtps and 800x. With 800x, in every weight, standard primers have worked better than mag primers.

With Blue Dot. I'm safely to 1250 with my g20, and I'm pretty conservative. I don't know what that translates to with your setup though.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 22:02   #8
12dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
Accurate # 9 should get you there too. WAY nicer to work with than 800x, low flash and clean burning. Recipe data can be found at the accurate website. Cross check that against Hornady load data. There is quite a wide gap in max loads.

I've had spooky results with 180 xtps and 800x. With 800x, in every weight, standard primers have worked better than mag primers.

With Blue Dot. I'm safely to 1250 with my g20, and I'm pretty conservative. I don't know what that translates to with your setup though.
Thanks for the info bro I am loaded to the hills with BD, 800x and STEEL. LOVE them scatter guns I would say I'm right were you are at with grains of BD . Not quite max published, going to work up to it though and see what happens. Brass and primers look good so far but I really would like to find some PSI #'s for alliants 11.0 grain load might give em a call and see what i can find out. I do believe KEGS is right about safely getting there with 800X and will be developing that as well. Are you refering to chrono readings when you say spooky results?
Old 02-03-2011, 16:53   #9
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

Quote:
Thanks for the info bro I am loaded to the hills with BD, 800x and STEEL. LOVE them scatter guns I would say I'm right were you are at with grains of BD . Not quite max published, going to work up to it though and see what happens. Brass and primers look good so far but I really would like to find some PSI #'s for alliants 11.0 grain load might give em a call and see what i can find out. I do believe KEGS is right about safely getting there with 800X and will be developing that as well. Are you refering to chrono readings when you say spooky results?
Watching for sings on the primer is a poor way to estimate pressure. BUT, I see you are interesting in figuring out safe loads and have some idea of the pressures, SO, please go back (because I'm sure you already read it) and re-read this thread:
All Forum Users MUST Read This

In my post (the second one) on that thread, you will see a referrence to Ken Water's Pet Loads and his method of measuring brass case's heads to estimate safe pressure levels. Learn that, follow it, and love it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 18:47   #10
12dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMineA10mm View Post
Watching for sings on the primer is a poor way to estimate pressure. BUT, I see you are interesting in figuring out safe loads and have some idea of the pressures, SO, please go back (because I'm sure you already read it) and re-read this thread:
All Forum Users MUST Read This

In my post (the second one) on that thread, you will see a referrence to Ken Water's Pet Loads and his method of measuring brass case's heads to estimate safe pressure levels. Learn that, follow it, and love it!
I'm in no way trying to come off as a smart*** with my next statement, Thank you for your interest in my safety . With the blue dot load in my original post I worked up to the " factory load expansion" for my chamber and all is good. I will MAYBE try and squeeze a little more but i'm at or near 35,000 already and pretty much think 1200fps will not be possible in the 3" without flirting at the 37000 arena. I'm thinking 800X will get me there and be somewhere around 34000, just worked up some tonight for the weekend. Longshot looks promising also, but that will have to wait. All input is truly appreciated!

Last edited by 12dmax; 02-03-2011 at 18:48..
Old 02-04-2011, 11:03   #11
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
By spooky I mean huge variations in pressure symptoms for a given charge. One case may exhibit docile expansion measurements while the next would show flattened primers and case expansion far beyond acceptable specs. This is the only time I've induced Glock smiles. It is as if I was not consistently weighing my charges, but I am a stickler for hand weighing my load work ups. I experienced this phenomenon at charge levels below published maxes.

I did not run those over a chrony. I wish I had though. That would have provided interesting data.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 22:08   #12
Mootness

Did you try power pistol for its faster burn rate compared to 800x? I'm in the same boat, stock 29, and thought the faster burn rate of PP would compliment the shorter barrel length.
Mootness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 23:24   #13
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

I agree that 800-X is the powder to take you there. It is without a doubt the 10mm velocity champion. Longshot would be a close second. I would guess 10.0gn, or slightly more, will get you to 1200fps. Don't forget to report back with some chrono numbers. We love that kind of stuff!!!
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:20   #14
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Longshot is good too, I get around 1300fps out of the G20sf, so with the G29 you will for sure be over 1200. I haven't yet tested any of these ouf of my G29 so I can't tell you exactly but it will be over 1200, probably closer to 1250.