Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:52   #1
wct097

Nettop?

So I'm having one of these delivered today:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856119034

Tech Talk

Going to be replacing an old rackmount server that I've been using as a fileserver. I figure it'll pay for itself in 6 months with electrical savings alone. Going to stick 1gb of RAM in it, along with a 320gb hard drive, and install Ubuntu 10.10 Server.

I like that it looks like a router.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:29   #2
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Interesting... Obviously extremely new though... I wouldn't get super excited about Ubuntu recognizing all the hardware. Unfortunately when manufacturers don't release Linux drivers, it often takes time for Linux to recognize some newer devices...

IGF
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:32   #3
wct097

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Interesting... Obviously extremely new though... I wouldn't get super excited about Ubuntu recognizing all the hardware. Unfortunately when manufacturers don't release Linux drivers, it often takes time for Linux to recognize some newer devices...

IGF
One of the reviews @ Newegg stated that he had Ubuntu up & running. Not terribly concerned with drivers though.... as long as it can do the basics. It's going to be a fileserver, so I don't really mind if the audio & video aren't up to date.
Old 01-31-2011, 16:24   #4
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wct097 View Post
One of the reviews @ Newegg stated that he had Ubuntu up & running. Not terribly concerned with drivers though.... as long as it can do the basics. It's going to be a fileserver, so I don't really mind if the audio & video aren't up to date.
If you just want a headless filesever, FreeNas might be better for that... It's pretty awesome.

IGF
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 17:18   #5
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
I figure it'll pay for itself in 6 months with electrical savings alone.
No way, unless electricity is outrageously expensive in your place. My big old home computer (1.8GHz Opteron, 3 hard drives, 28" monitor) will run 24/7 for 10 months to burn the money that thing costs ($170).
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:08   #6
wct097

Slick little computer. Have it up and running now. Ubuntu 10.10 server installed rather easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
If you just want a headless filesever, FreeNas might be better for that... It's pretty awesome.

IGF
Need a bit more than NAS. Use rsync to backup my files over SSH. I also like to tunnel into my home network using SSH. A small Linux server works pretty well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
No way, unless electricity is outrageously expensive in your place. My big old home computer (1.8GHz Opteron, 3 hard drives, 28" monitor) will run 24/7 for 10 months to burn the money that thing costs ($170).
...so you're comparing the electricity used by an old 1.8ghz desktop to a 2U rackmount server with dual power supplies running dual Xeon processors and a 5 disk 10krpm SCSI RAID array?

I admit, 6 months may be a bit optimistic, but the new computer will be using approximately 1/16 of the power that the 2650 is using.

Last edited by wct097; 02-01-2011 at 07:11..
wct097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:18   #7
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
...so you're comparing the electricity used by an old 1.8ghz desktop to a 2U rackmount server with dual power supplies running dual Xeon processors and a 5 disk 10krpm SCSI RAID array?
Eek. I could not imagine anyone running such a monstrosity at home.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:49   #8
wct097

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
Eek. I could not imagine anyone running such a monstrosity at home.
Yea... I got it for free from my employer when it was decommissioned. I thought, at the time, that it would be fun to play with. I'm relatively certain that it made my power bill go up by $25-35 a month.
Old 02-01-2011, 19:04   #9
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316

Send a message via AIM to gemeinschaft Send a message via Yahoo to gemeinschaft Send a message via Skype™ to gemeinschaft
Quote:
Yea... I got it for free from my employer when it was decommissioned. I thought, at the time, that it would be fun to play with. I'm relatively certain that it made my power bill go up by $25-35 a month.
Not to mention the noise pollution.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:12   #10
wct097

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemeinschaft View Post
Not to mention the noise pollution.
The wife was not impressed when I fired them up (got two) the first day. Ended up putting them in the garage.