SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-31-2011, 17:47   #1
filthy infidel
100% Infidel

Odd issues with wireless NIC.......

My personal 'work laptop' is an old Gateway GX 4540GZ running XP SP3, up to date, clean of bugs, etc. On occasion the wireless NIC would see networks but not connect, when my other laptop and cellphone would readily connect. All devices in the same range, etc. This issue is very random, as of late it has been working fine. The NIC is a Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG.

Today I got home I found this laptop would not connect to my network. My SSID is 'Fishnet'. This NIC shows it labeled as 'Fichnet'. My first thought, some wiseass hacked my WPA2 pw...? So I fire up InSSider, which indeed shows all networks, spelled correctly, although Windows shows the wrong spelling. I'm currently connected on my 'good' laptop to 'Fishnet', everything else is working fine.

MWB just completed on my suspect machine, the database is 8 days old and found nothing. Superantispyware has found some litter as normal and still going.....
Old 01-31-2011, 19:52   #2
filthy infidel
100% Infidel

Update, restored to three days earlier, no change. Current laptop now displayed "Fichnet" SSid, went to (newly installed router, installed Saturday), no threats noted, three internet connectivity issues from my ISP noted, all logged MAC addresses are mine.

I reset the router, it's PW, and the WLAN PW, everything is on board thus far.....
Old 01-31-2011, 21:14   #3
Linux3

Speaking as a Senior Network Engineer I would boot you off my network in a NY minute.
Your network has been totally compromised.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 22:08   #4
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

your 'old' wireless NIC will recognize WPA2? That's cool... but only if it's really working.

I would start with verifying the driver version compared to the latest Intel NIC drivers.

You may be beyond the firmware/software limitation on this piece of hardware.

@Linux3 - Please elaborate on your reasoning behind your suspicion that he is compromised... or are you yanking his chain?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Download YOUR copy of

My Gift to You, AND it's >FREE<
Pierre! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:01   #5
filthy infidel
100% Infidel

So I went upstairs and changed the wifi lan password and reset the router, there is no longer a 'fichnet' network. Odd as it may seem, I'm suspecting that it was caused by the new Belkin N protocol router, my network monitors never showed any info (even the 'fichnet' ssid) on this mysterious network......weird.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:10   #6
Dandapani

Someone is spoofing you and setup another access point with the fichnet name.
Florida Glockers, Wheelhouse, S&W, Snubbie #940
Dandapani is offline   Reply With Quote