SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-31-2011, 22:20   #1
glock2740
Gun lover.

Who's a RRA fan?

Down to M&P or RRA. I've owned an M&PA before and liked it alot, but I've heard great stuff about the RRA AR's, but have never got to shoot one. Thouts? Pros and cons on either? Thanks.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 22:24   #2
Quigley
Elite Member

I have a RRA complete lower with the 2-stage trigger. The trigger is amazing. I put a Stag upper on it for the chrome lined barrel and the whole set up shoots like a charm. Have put about 1000rounds through it without a single hiccup.

GREEN IS THE NEW RED
Quigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 23:07   #3
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

I had an RRA .308 and it was great. Shot sub-MOA with a scope. Only reason I traded it in was to go to a suppressed bolt-action form.

I still have my RRA 9mm AR pistol - a real hoot to shoot, and good quality.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:11   #4
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

For target or varmint work, RRA is great.

Between the two that you mentioned, I would prefer the M&P15 though, more reliable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:34   #5
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTactical View Post
For target or varmint work, RRA is great.

Between the two that you mentioned, I would prefer the M&P15 though, more reliable.
I just read some stuff about chrome lined barrels last night and the RRA I want doesn't have one. Hence the 1"MOA@100yds. But, the M&P does. They're making what is basically a 15A with a quad rail now. It's $69 more than the 15A, which is what my last quad rail cost, that I had on my 15A. Leaning towards the 15T, just for the full length rail and free floated barrel, but trying to justify the extra $300. It does come with flip up front and rear sights, which I like, so the extra money may be worth it.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:48   #6
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

I have a Rock River Arms Pro-Series Government. It has run flawlessly. It does have a chrome lined barrel.

*I was at a range once and a Rock River rep was there (I live two hours from Rock River's location). Some guy asked him if he had to break in his barrel because he heard that was a requirement. The Rock River guy looked at this rifle and said, "Nope, it's chromed-lined. You're good to go." The looked a little surprise so the Rock River guy followed him with "Look, if you can trash my barrel. I'll GIVE YOU two complete rifles. I dare you to kill it."

Guy ran like 3,000 rounds through a brand new barrel as fast as he could. No luck.

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227

Last edited by volsbear; 02-01-2011 at 08:50..
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:17   #7
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsbear View Post
I have a Rock River Arms Pro-Series Government. It has run flawlessly. It does have a chrome lined barrel.

*I was at a range once and a Rock River rep was there (I live two hours from Rock River's location). Some guy asked him if he had to break in his barrel because he heard that was a requirement. The Rock River guy looked at this rifle and said, "Nope, it's chromed-lined. You're good to go." The looked a little surprise so the Rock River guy followed him with "Look, if you can trash my barrel. I'll GIVE YOU two complete rifles. I dare you to kill it."

Guy ran like 3,000 rounds through a brand new barrel as fast as he could. No luck.
Some RRA's do have chrome lined barrels but some of their models don't.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:19   #8
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
Some RRA's do have chrome lined barrels but some of their models don't.
Yes... I know. You definitely want the chrome lined barrel.

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:37   #9
Rinspeed
JAFO

I'm not sure about the newer ones but my early RRA has been great.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:12   #10
TexanOutWest
I'll Take Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley View Post
I have a RRA complete lower with the 2-stage trigger. The trigger is amazing. I put a Stag upper on it for the chrome lined barrel and the whole set up shoots like a charm.
I'm in the other boat here. I've got an RRA Tactical CAR A4 upper half and BCG on an Ameetec lower with an RRA NM 2-stage trigger. To date, my Ameetec parts have been flawless; however, it seems Ameetec got in some legal troubles for a patent issue and their website now leads to American Spirit Arms. I suppose in this day and age they believe that adding some level of patriotism to their corporate identity will help them sell product. Anyway, +1 for RRA based on my experience.

Tex
Lone Star Glockers #423
Amphibious SeaBees I, Beach Combat Support
We Build, We Fight! One Target at a Time!
Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word - John Steinbeck
TexanOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:24   #11
ijacek

I have had the Entry Tactical for the few years now and it has been 100% on duty, training, Basic SWAT School and 3-Gun week long class.

My SWAT team recently switched to the 10.5 inch suppressed, full auto RRA guns, and those have been very reliable as well.

That being said, between the two OP listed, RRA all the way... but then again I just bought a Colt 6920 and I like it a lot.

in the pic - TOP SWAT issued w/suppressor, EOtech and Surefire; BOTTOM - my Entry Tactical

Black Rifle Forum

Last edited by ijacek; 02-01-2011 at 10:27.. Reason: picture added
ijacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:27   #12
surf

The M&P will give you slightly better tested parts and build quality in some components. Their standard chrome lined barrels are a toss up, except RRA has varminter barrels. You need to understand the difference in a stainless barrel and chrome lined barrel and your needs. They are intended to serve different purposes.

If I were going to pick one in a standard chrme lined barrel I would go with the M&P no doubt.
surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:50   #13
UniversalBrow06

Send a message via AIM to UniversalBrow06
Interesting comments, I have long been a big fan of the old RRA 1911's and have wondered how the ARs stacked up against the competition. Seems like two different worlds entirely.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:40   #14
crazymoose
Nonentity

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalBrow06 View Post
Interesting comments, I have long been a big fan of the old RRA 1911's and have wondered how the ARs stacked up against the competition. Seems like two different worlds entirely.
Definitely. Their 1911s were works of art. Their rifles are pretty good, but nowhere near the standout products that their pistols were.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 14:53   #15
ezterra

I've had my RRA Entry Tactical since 2004. I haven't kept track of rounds shot through it, but I would guess it's somewhere in the 8000 round range. It has been used for varmint hunting, tac rifle matches, and taking rifle classes. The only issue I had was during a rifle class. I wanted to test it's durability. So I didn't clean or lube it during the class. At the start of the second day, I had two FTE with the case stuck in the chamber. I swabbed out the chamber, lubed up the bolt and BCG, and I was good to go for the rest of the day.

I don't know if this was a failure inherent to the RRA or if any other gun would have suffered the same effects. I will say that the morning of the second day was in the low 40s. So I can see how the old lube got gummy when sitting in the cold.

Other than that, I am comfortable recommending a RRA. It has been running great and I haven't had any parts breakage. Just keep it lubed, which I would think goes for any AR.
Old 02-01-2011, 15:51   #16
20South

I bought an RRA Entry Tactical a few years ago and it has been flawless. Its also my only AR so I cant compare it to anything, but mine has run and shot everything I have thrown at it.

To be fair, I only hunt paper and steel with it. One day do I plan on running it in a 3 gun.
Old 02-01-2011, 19:32   #17
maxniman

my rra has run flawlessly
Black Rifle Forum
maxniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 19:39   #18
nipperwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxniman View Post
my rra has run flawlessly
Black Rifle Forum
Where's the front sight?

Quote:
We've gone from Socrates, to Snooki.
Ducky, NCIS
nipperwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 20:02   #19
boomhower

I'd stick with the M&P.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 00:08   #20
20South

Only RRA truly supports a hard chrome treatment...