SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-01-2011, 17:41   #1
Another Miller
prankster

microsoft security esentials help

I called the microsoft helpline.they said I have to update and do all the scanning manually for this program.My issue is its not updating when definitions come out and its not scanning daily as it should(like microsoft advertises it does).

icon says its working but it doesnt.Everythig is set to run automatically.the program,security settings,and services...all on auto.

Ive since added firefox with google and thats it.Then theres the strange avg thing in my other post"what is this".I dont know if thats interfering with it now or how it got on my computer.
Another Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 18:42   #2
Ogreon
unlisted

I've never used the program, so I can't give you specific help.

Look at what time it is scheduled to do update and scan. Make sure it is a time when your computer is on.

If it still doesn't work, try removing and reinstalling it.

If the program doesn't work at all you may have a virus, or other malware, that has shut it off. If so, try running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in Safe Mode. Avira Anti-Virus has a program that you can burn to a CD-ROM. If your system will boot from a CD, it will bypass Windows and scan your system.
Ogreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 19:42   #3
Another Miller
prankster

thanks, I ran malware bytes and it didnt get anything,I also ran microsoft one care live, no issues.I tried changing the time to scan options and that didnt work, it never ran.I had to manually run it.

I researched it, alot of folks are having the same issues with the auto update part of it.Im beginning to wonder if its the program itself.
Old 02-01-2011, 19:48   #4
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316

Send a message via AIM to gemeinschaft Send a message via Yahoo to gemeinschaft Send a message via Skype™ to gemeinschaft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Miller View Post
thanks, I ran malware bytes and it didnt get anything,I also ran microsoft one care live, no issues.I tried changing the time to scan options and that didnt work, it never ran.I had to manually run it.

I researched it, alot of folks are having the same issues with the auto update part of it.Im beginning to wonder if its the program itself.
You mean that Microsoft may havee made something that sucks?

I would uninstall AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials; then download and install Avast Antivirus

Avast is free for home users, light and it works very well.
Old 02-01-2011, 19:57   #5
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

And just to be clear, you were running only one antivirus products? Not multiples at once?

Don't laugh, I have seen this before and it can cause all kinds of issues - even when 2 are installed and only 1 is 'off'... the registry entries can whack things too.
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 20:53   #6
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

See this post.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost...7&postcount=20
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:39   #7
Another Miller
prankster

Im going to just go with something else for awhile until I get this thing running.The website says theyre going to end support for it anyways.thanks.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:34   #8
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Miller View Post
Im going to just go with something else for awhile until I get this thing running.The website says theyre going to end support for it anyways.thanks.
They are ending support for Windows Defender, not MSE. You can change the settings to scan once a day and select the option to "Check for latest virus & spyware definitions before running a schedule scan". You'll want the scan time at a time the computer is on
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote