SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-03-2011, 13:27   #1
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

Terralux LED upgrade for Streamlight Stinger

Anyone mess with these? I have a Streamlight Stinger I've had since 2003. It's been a good light and I don't want to replace it but there a couple of things that are just a PITA.

One is it SUCKS the batteries. I"m on my third replacement rechargeable. It just kicks their *** and for what it's worth, it's not all that bright. That brings me to the second thing- it seems to be getting dimmer and dimmer as life goes on. IDK, maybe I'm just comparing it to all the new lights out there. Anyway, there is a Terralux LED upgrade for around $40. I'm wondering if it's worth it and if it's reliable.
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 19:49   #2
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

One of the guys at work has done this, and it is freaking BRIGHT!!!! He told me that the battery last 3-5 times longer than before. I'm going to upgrade 2 of my stingers.
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 22:41   #3
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

My Christmas present to myself. It is bright. I am happy.

Don't know how long things last on a charge, because I pop it into the charger after every shift.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 22:54   #4
bigzebra

I purchased one from Battery Junction about a year and a half ago. I love the thing. My battery lasts at least two and a half hours on one charge.

However, the other day I took the head off to show some some of my coworkers what it looked like/how it worked. It seemed as though the plastic lens/cap for the LED came off and was in the head of the light. I contacted both Terralux and Battery Junction. Both stated the one year warranty had expired. Terralux did offer to fix it. I think I'll just try and super-glue the lens back to the circuit board. The failure does not appear to effect the function of the light though.

Terralux did say in their email that they would be coming out with a 300 lumen Stinger conversion in May. I will probably buy that one when its available.

I'll also add that I have the Stinger LED. I like it, but the rubber button keeps coming out and I've had to send it back three times now. The bulkiness is also a negative to me.

I REALLY like the size of my old Stinger. I'll hang on to it as long as I can.

Last edited by bigzebra; 02-04-2011 at 02:10..
bigzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:26   #5
sos4364

Great way to get a ton of performance out of an olds style light. It helps my battery life and it was great way to upgrade to a nice bright led light without shelling out $$$$for a whole new light. I have 2 of these and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. About 45guys in our unit did a group buy and never looked back as our dept requires the polystinger or Stinger
xt
sos4364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:49   #6
x_out86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzebra View Post

I'll also add that I have the Stinger LED. I like it, but the rubber button keeps coming out and I've had to send it back three times now. The bulkiness is also a negative to me.
Ok...So I'm not the only one to have that problem. Pisses me off when I pull it out to use it and have to MASH the button to get it to turn on since the switch cover has decided to pull out of the body.
I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.
x_out86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:15   #7
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

That conversion is sweet!
Old 02-04-2011, 11:20   #8
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

Awesome! Uniform allowances are next week (was supposed to be this week but payroll got screwed up) so I'll plan on ordering one. I wonder if there is anything out there for my old Kel-light.
Old 02-04-2011, 13:14   #9
Sharkey

Perfect timing. I was browsing battery junction last night thinking of ordering one. Iced in so I guess I will do it now. Also gonna order the lil' terralux AAA key chain light. $6 for 50 lumen on a keychain sounds pretty good too.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 18:50   #10
Chico Bill

Terralux also has a newer, improved, replacement module for the SL20X...It uses a Cree MC-E quad-die emitter with a stated 600 lumens. I compared it with another MC-E light and it had every bit the brightness. I purchased the multi-mode version and it works very well...The only drawback I've noticed is a noticeable "whine" in low-mode when the battery isn't fully charged.

Aim low boys! They're ridin' Shetland ponies!
--The Kung Pow Buckaroo's
Chico Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 19:20   #11
imaguy3

So I did a search and for some reason my thread on this is no longer here... Anyway I did a thread on this upgrade a cple yrs. ago when I got it... to sum it up it's worth it for the light output and battery life, however I had issues with my first upgrade (right when they came out) withstanding accidental drops on cement.

They replaced it with a newer version and that one was better built, however I haven't dropped it as much so I can't comment on the ruggedness... since then I've gotten the new stinger led d/s and it's way better imho than the upgrade!

Last edited by imaguy3; 02-04-2011 at 19:26..
imaguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 20:02   #12
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguy3 View Post
So I did a search and for some reason my thread on this is no longer here... Anyway I did a thread on this upgrade a cple yrs. ago when I got it... to sum it up it's worth it for the light output and battery life, however I had issues with my first upgrade (right when they came out) withstanding accidental drops on cement.

They replaced it with a newer version and that one was better built, however I haven't dropped it as much so I can't comment on the ruggedness... since then I've gotten the new stinger led d/s and it's way better imho than the upgrade!
I did a search on Terralux and didn't find anything so I posted here.

I'd rather not replace my old light as I'm sort of attached to it.

I found Terralux makes a retrofit for C and D Maglites. Does anyone have any idea if in theory, it would work on my old ISP Kel Lite? I keep it in my bag as a backup but God it's awful dim....
Old 02-04-2011, 20:23   #13
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

This seems like a sweet upgrade, but I'm wondering if it has the "throw" that a tightly focused incandescent Stinger has? That's the only complaint I've had about any of the LED flashlights I've seen, they might be wicked bright, but can't get any useable light past 25 feet, ya know?

If someone can let me know (sorry to hijack the thread), I'd really appreciate it!

I'm drooling over the 300 lumen upgrade. How much longer does the battery last on a charge with these upgrades?
Old 02-04-2011, 22:48   #14
Rinspeed
JAFO

They certainly get some good reviews, I've meant to get a couple for the Maglights just haven't gotten around to it. There are a couple dealers on E-bay that have very good prices.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 23:32   #15
imaguy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu_grad_121 View Post
This seems like a sweet upgrade, but I'm wondering if it has the "throw" that a tightly focused incandescent Stinger has? That's the only complaint I've had about any of the LED flashlights I've seen, they might be wicked bright, but can't get any useable light past 25 feet, ya know?

If someone can let me know (sorry to hijack the thread), I'd really appreciate it!

I'm drooling over the 300 lumen upgrade. How much longer does the battery last on a charge with these upgrades?
Maybe the old LED lights, but most of the newer quality lights I've used have no problem with throw. I have this light on my rifle.. make sure you read the throw distance.... It doesn't make it appear like daylight at 200yds however you can tell the light is there. At about 100 yrds. and in though it's great...

http://eagletac.com/flashlights/t100c2.html under "key features"

"ET26 Reflector T100C2 Mark II features ET26 optical reflector coated in smooth mirror finish for maximum throw performance and pleasing beam pattern. T100C2 Mark II is able to throw up to 200 yard with its precisely machined reflective curve. Up close, the side spill brightness lights up the surrounding extremely well for optimal night vision. The new CREE XP-E LED provides a smooth output beam with nice transition from the center beam to the side-spill light."

Any of the good manufacturers (surefire, fenix) will have different models that either throw or spill... it all depends on the reflector design and power of the LED. Check out http://candlepowerforums.com/ for anything and everything light...

The Terralux upgrade isn't really as "adjustable" as it sounds. However I found the beam on mine to be great... it's tight enough to throw as far as the incan. stinger, yet had plenty of spill and has no problem lighting up a room or car. The new Stinger LED's though have gobs of throw!

Last edited by imaguy3; 02-04-2011 at 23:41..
imaguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 00:55   #16
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

When I run out of my current supply of Ultrastinger bulbs I am thinking of doing this. I recently bought the Stinger LED HP DS for a belt light, I hardly even use my Ultrastinger anymore, or my big thumper light a 3D Mag with a Malkoff LED mod. The little stinger is as bright as either of the big lights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 21:48   #17
Spydermonkey
in ur rearview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadetklapp View Post
Does anyone have any idea if in theory, it would work on my old ISP Kel Lite? I keep it in my bag as a backup but God it's awful dim....

Take a look on ebay and check out what those Kel-Lites are going for. The flashaholics on candle power forums are paying a mint for them right now. They have become collectors items, take good care of that thing!
Old 02-05-2011, 22:08   #18
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydermonkey View Post
Take a look on ebay and check out what those Kel-Lites are going for. The flashaholics on candle power forums are paying a mint for them right now. They have become collectors items, take good care of that thing!
Mine are (I actually have two) probably 1970s models with the red button, and both are stamped "INDIANA STATE POLICE" and have a PE # stamped on the other side of the barrel. Not sure mine are old enough to be worth a whole lot though.
Old 02-05-2011, 22:33   #19
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Contact someone in the know on candlepowerforum.com I could start a thread over there if you are not a member and just ask if you are interested.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:44   #20
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

Got my "kit" for my Streamlight Stinger last night and I couldn't be happier with it. GREAT upgrade for the incan Stinger. It's SUPER bright and I'm hoping I can go longer on a charge.