GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-04-2011, 14:02   #1
BCSO

I want/NEED a springfield Range Officer....

I dont have a 1911 currently but it will be my tax return gun. For my first one, I want something that is pretty decent that I wont upgrade.

Ill get a baer or something later on down the road, but for now, the RO is looking perfect. It has some features that the GI and mil specs dont have but the price is good.

is this a good first 1911???
BCSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 14:03   #2
Quack
Rent this space

sounds good. if you caught this morning GunTalk TV, i think they had it on there.
i haven't watched it yet because i just got home.

think of the Range Officer as a stripped Trophy Match, which is what it was intended to be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:33   #3
kkramer673

There was a new Range Officer at my local gun store last weekend and I took a look at it. I was surprised to see the extractor bulged out of the slide in the back. Obviously couldn't tell if it would cause function problems, but it gave a lousy first impression. Also wasn't crazy about the fact the front strap was smooth.
kkramer673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:36   #4
rsxr22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkramer673 View Post
There was a new Range Officer at my local gun store last weekend and I took a look at it. I was surprised to see the extractor bulged out of the slide in the back. Obviously couldn't tell if it would cause function problems, but it gave a lousy first impression. Also wasn't crazy about the fact the front strap was smooth.
They left the FS smooth to make the pistol more affordable. The extractor is more an attention to detail issue than something that will cause malfunctions, but still im not crazy about it. I think there is as good options cheaper and definitely better options when you spend a little more money.
rsxr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:15   #5
Hokie1911
><><><><><

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsxr22 View Post
They left the FS smooth to make the pistol more affordable. The extractor is more an attention to detail issue than something that will cause malfunctions, but still im not crazy about it. I think there is as good options cheaper and definitely better options when you spend a little more money.
There are ALWAYS better options when you spend a little more money.
Hokie1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:19   #6
Quack
Rent this space

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkramer673 View Post
Then buy a Trophy Match.

The RO is a base gun that can be upgraded to the users needs

It kind of like saying...I like the mil-spec, but I wish it had better sights and a beavertail grip safety.

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:55   #7
Ruggles

I have seen the extractor bulge on a number of Springfields. I had a Champion "Loaded" version and it had it, no function issues but looked odd.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:07   #8
Chocobo

Not a bad choice.
Chocobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:23   #9
okie
GT Mayor

I'd like to have an RO also
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:27   #10
Wolfgang

Anyone in VA want one? A store had 6 last week. I would post price but not wanting to violate rules. They were more than 700, less than 750.

Disclaimer: I have no interest in this whatsoever. Not my shop, I get nothing out of this. I thought about buying one, but I have more than I shoot now.

This store is one that Bloomberg went after (in Virginia). The owner did not back down, hired a New York lawyer costing tens of thousands of dollars. Bloomberg (City of NY) bought this fella a new house.

FWIW

Shop is mentioned in this story:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,259726,00.html

and this:

http://www.cityhallnews.com/newyork/...-54-print.html
Big Dawg #140

Last edited by Wolfgang; 02-05-2011 at 12:39..
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:14   #11
RedTape

I picked one of these up a couple weeks ago.

The fitting is good, lockup is very tight. ZERO movement on the slide to frame fit. Nothing appears out of place i.e. extractor bulge, although don't expect a perfectly fitted gun for $700.

The bushing was ridiculously tight. There was no way to turn it without a wrench. The slights are good and were zeroed. The gun shot great with both FMJs and LSWCs. Accuracy was fantasic with both ammo types although the gun really liked the SWCs, producing one big hole at 10 yards.

No function or reliability problems at this time, although I haven't even begun to break it in. I also haven't shot any hollow points yet, so time will tell.

I estimate the trigger to be around 5lbs. It was a little gritty at first, but smoothed up quickly. I imagine it will get better after a couple hundred more rounds.

All in all I think it's a great gun for the price. It has the features I wanted not available on the Loaded model (no FCS and no ambi safety) and the fitting seems to be much better. For a mid-priced 1911 its excellent...just don't expect to be getting a TRP for $700.
Heckler & Koch Club Member #26

"What about learning to use a gun?"
"Oh, Johnny didn't believe in guns, he always thought..."
"Well Johnny's dead, think about that."
RedTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:49   #12
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSO View Post
I dont have a 1911 currently but it will be my tax return gun. For my first one, I want something that is pretty decent that I wont upgrade.

Ill get a baer or something later on down the road, but for now, the RO is looking perfect. It has some features that the GI and mil specs dont have but the price is good.

is this a good first 1911???
I like The RO and feel its a good 1911 to start with.

Its a hell of a lot nicer than the Loaded models I've handled.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 20:45   #13
spartan985

I got mine as my first 1911.... love it and the way it shoots.

Davegrave: Bacon is like performance enhancing drugs for food. Food with bacon in it shouldn't be able to legally be put up against food that doesn't. It's not fair.
spartan985 is offline   Reply With Quote