SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:16   #1
DBG19

For those of you who have multiple guns in your carry rotation

Good morning everybody,
I am currently getting ready to ship out my new Kahr P9 slide to XS Sights to have them install some Big Dots. My other 2 carry guns are a Glock 19 (Meprolight 3 Dot), and Sig Sauer P232 (standard factory iron). Obviously the sight picture on all 3 is quite different, but I was wondering if it might be a good idea to try and keep the actual sights on my 3 different guns the same so that I am at least working off of the same "foundation". I practice with all 3 regularly, and the Kahr and Glock get the most carry time.
What do you guys think?
DBG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:21   #2
joerenew

I would recommend keeping sights similar to help ease daily transition. Practice consistency because when the shtf it's your subconscious that takes over based on your training.
joerenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:37   #3
PlayboyPenguin

I am a bit torn on the issue. When it comes to SD just how likely are you to have time to get an adequate sight picture? I sort of feel like the answer is "not very likely." As long as the sights are visible I do not see them making that much of a difference in an SD situation. Maybe they would at a range, but not so much in the heat of the moment. Still, I have been making an effort to have all of my carry guns have similar 3-dot sights.

The fact that I think getting a full arm extension, much less a good sight picture, is not something we can assume we will have time for is why I practice from the hip a lot.

I think what kind of trigger you have on the guns is much more important. Even then I do not think trigger weight is as important as operating system. I am trying to make sure all my carry guns just require point and pull the trigger. No safeties. As much as I love my 1911's I just do not practice with them enough.

In the end, I think you are worry a lot about something that will never matter...but that is kind of what CC is all about. We all do it.

Last edited by PlayboyPenguin; 02-08-2011 at 09:38..
PlayboyPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 17:12   #4
LSP972

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayboyPenguin View Post

I think what kind of trigger you have on the guns is much more important. Even then I do not think trigger weight is as important as operating system. I am trying to make sure all my carry guns just require point and pull the trigger. No safeties. As much as I love my 1911's I just do not practice with them enough.

In the end, I think you are worry a lot about something that will never matter...but that is kind of what CC is all about. We all do it.

Well said; especially the part re "point'n'pull".

What's "tearing" me is wrestling with the question of whether or not to start carrying an optic-equipped pistol for EDC. I have played with concept enough to be satisfied that the mechanics of EDC, battery issues, etc., are simply not a concern. With an RDS professionally inlet into the slide, the pistol carries as easily as a stock one. And the lithium 2032 batteries have excellent life; you just need to religious about a yearly replacement schedule.

MY problem is "hunting the dot". I keep hearing that time on the system will cure that. I intend to find out, in a Givens class next week. So far, my accuracy with the system is phenomenal; speed of acquisition, not so hot.

But the hard truth is that, past 20 yards or so, getting a usable sight picture ain't happening; not with these "old man eyes".

Yeah, yeah, I know; the probability of having to make a distance shot, as a civilian CCW, will be slim to none.

But what if it IS necessary?????

"The retard cannot comprehend that everyone else... isn't."
-pangris
LSP972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 17:15   #5
cowboy1964

Differences in the sight picture won't mean squat in a fight. Your hand shaking will result in far more sighting error than the difference between sight types. I'd be more concerned about the other differences, for example, trigger type/weight/reset, etc.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 02-08-2011 at 17:16..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 17:28   #6
shellster
Locked & Loaded

If you have time to line up your sights, you have time to adjust for the slightly different sight pictures.

In a real fight, you are going to be reflex aiming or just aiming in the general vicinity, so I doubt the difference will ever come into effect.

On top of all that, I've found that I don't have any trouble transitioning between my various pistols after I've got some decent range time with them. It just comes naturally.
Old 02-08-2011, 21:54   #7
samuse

I'm going to agree with everyone on the sights not mattering on a SD gun.

I would also not recommend blowing all that money on the Big Dots. They pretty much suck as aiming devices.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:47   #8
G19aps

I think if you stick with the post/notch pattern that is on your G19 and 232 you should be OK.
G19aps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 14:47   #9
RayB
Retired Member

We currently don't have a CCW provision in Wiskonsin, but that's about to change with our new Conservative Governor, Scott Walker!

While I did learn to use the XSBD sights we had on Judy's G19, I did find it awkward going from the more traditional sight picture(s) to the XSBD sight picture...

This is from my well-received Night Sight Review...

XS Big Dot sights are high quality combat sights, designed for SHTF situations. Place that big white dot on center mass, and if your trigger control is good, you will hit your target, out to 30-feet or better. The night sight picture is pleasing and easily picked up. These are a specialty sight, and many will find them wanting for range use; conversely, others will master them for target use too. More than any sight I know of, people like them or they don't.

FWIW, Judy's shooting with her G19 improved immediately when we swapped the XSBD sights for Trijicons. My son's shooting with the G19 improved as well. I also noticed that guests to the range also shot better with the Trijicon's more traditional sight picture.

I gave the XSBD sights to an expert-friend (this guy owns 50+ firearms at any given time and has been shooting since he was a kid) and he didn't exactly give them a rave review either...

Conversely, I am well aware that some people master these sights and prefer them over all others!

I'd give the AmeriGlo Operator sights a look-see... The have a similar advantage to the XSBDs (white marker on the front sight only), with a more traditional sight picture... As with the XS's, the lamps are Trijicon.

AmeriGlo offers the best selection of night sights available. Quality is first-rate, as the sights combine Trijicon lamps with white PVC O-rings for markers. A combination of sight profiles, blade and notch widths, marker configurations, sizes and lamp colors, offers something for everyone. I really like their Operator sights with a green front and yellow rear lamps!

http://ameriglo.com/

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote