SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-09-2011, 21:51   #1
emt1581
Curious Member

Herter's quality check

Last time I was interested in buying some Herters ammo, the thread was flooded with replies about how dangerous the ammo was. Has their quality improved at all?

Thanks!

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 13:44   #2
Retired Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
Last time I was interested in buying some Herters ammo, the thread was flooded with replies about how dangerous the ammo was. Has their quality improved at all?

Thanks!

-Emt1581
What caliber? They don't mfg the stuff, just have it made with their name on the box. I have about 1000 rounds of their 5.56 made by the Russian company whose house brand is Wolf and it shoot great out my evil black rifle. I know their 7.62x39, 9mm & 380 was also Wolf. Can't say however about other calibers, as I never checked it out. I do know that Wolf has had some problem ammo a time or two, but what mfg hasn't in last 5 or 10 years.
Old 02-12-2011, 14:19   #3
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Squid View Post
What caliber? They don't mfg the stuff, just have it made with their name on the box. I have about 1000 rounds of their 5.56 made by the Russian company whose house brand is Wolf and it shoot great out my evil black rifle. I know their 7.62x39, 9mm & 380 was also Wolf. Can't say however about other calibers, as I never checked it out. I do know that Wolf has had some problem ammo a time or two, but what mfg hasn't in last 5 or 10 years.
I'm looking at 9mm.

I've never run steel cased ammo through my Glocks and other 9mm pistols. But I read and saw pics that showed the stuff kicked the s*** out of a gun and the shooter last year.

-Emt1581
Old 02-12-2011, 14:33   #4
Retired Squid

Quote:
I'm looking at 9mm.

I've never run steel cased ammo through my Glocks and other 9mm pistols. But I read and saw pics that showed the stuff kicked the s*** out of a gun and the shooter last year.

-Emt1581
Well nothing is perfect that's made by man. Seen guns blown up using Federal, Winchester, Remington and a few others, sometimes it's even the gun owners fault, had a CCI hot load blow out in a Ruger Standard about 30 years ago that scared the crap out of me. Still have the gun and it wasn't hurt, and had no other issues with the box of ammo. Yes, like an idiot I shot the rest of the box of 100 and saved the box until about a year ago.
Old 02-12-2011, 22:54   #5
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Well nothing is perfect that's made by man. Seen guns blown up using Federal, Winchester, Remington and a few others, sometimes it's even the gun owners fault, had a CCI hot load blow out in a Ruger Standard about 30 years ago that scared the crap out of me. Still have the gun and it wasn't hurt, and had no other issues with the box of ammo. Yes, like an idiot I shot the rest of the box of 100 and saved the box until about a year ago.
Yes, freak things can happen. But are you familiar with the plethora of malfunctions that took place with the Herter's pistol ammo last year or the year before? I read a TON of them. That's why I'm asking about any improvements.

Thanks!

-Emt1581
Old 02-13-2011, 07:51   #6
Retired Squid

Quote:
Yes, freak things can happen. But are you familiar with the plethora of malfunctions that took place with the Herter's pistol ammo last year or the year before? I read a TON of them. That's why I'm asking about any improvements.

Thanks!

-Emt1581
I have only been buying since last fall and have only baught and shot their 5.56 ammo, but I'm sure it was no worse then the Federal 22 Target ammo about that time.

I'm a reloader and shoot very little factory ammo in my centerfire hand guns and rifles except for the evil black rifle.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:19   #7
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
I have only been buying since last fall and have only baught and shot their 5.56 ammo, but I'm sure it was no worse then the Federal 22 Target ammo about that time.

I'm a reloader and shoot very little factory ammo in my centerfire hand guns and rifles except for the evil black rifle.
I'm on the opposite side of the coin. I reload as well but I also pour my own bullets and that is only for pistol ammo. However, I have the equipment/factory bullets for rifle ammo as well.

Something else I'm curious about...

Given the number of replies I got last year bashing this ammo, I'm wondering why you have been the ONLY one to share thoughts in this thread??

I'm going to have to dig up the link to that older thread...

EDIT: Well I tried and can't find the older thread. But when searching "Herter's" there are a bunch of threads where people are looking to get rid of a case of it...

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Last edited by emt1581; 02-13-2011 at 10:24..
Old 02-13-2011, 10:26   #8
Retired Squid

It's always more fun bashing.....?