Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-09-2011, 23:42   #1
npatel

Laptop Hard Drive Comparisons

Well, it looks like my laptop hard drive bit the dust. I have a Dell D630 running Win7 Ultimate, and when I went to restart tonight, chkdisk came on after the windows loader screen and said my drive needed to be checked for consistency. It finds around 50 unreadable file record segments, tries to fix some stuff, and then gets to between 50-60% completed and reboots. Its been running this loop for about 2 hours now.

Luckily, I'm fairly sure I have a reasonably new backup on an external drive.

I'm looking at 3 possible hard drives to replace mine with. Each is a 500GB 7200 rpm drive, and fairly affordable.

Here they are:
Drive 1
Drive 2
Drive 3

The third drive, the Seagate, seems to be the cheapest and has the longest warranty by 5 years. However, the failed drive is a Seagate, so I don't know how reliable they are -- I've only had this one for 4 months or so, but don't have a warranty on it since I ripped out the hard drive from an external enclosure to use internally.

I had 410GB of data on the old drive, so I want to get at least a 500GB.

Does anyone know if one of these 3 drives is better and more reliable than the others? Is there another drive I should be looking at?

Last edited by npatel; 02-10-2011 at 00:27..
npatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 00:03   #2
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

Before you buy a new hard drive try running a restore on your current drive It might be nothing more then Windows corrupted its self also you might wanna try running sea tools off seagate's website to double check the drive is bad. if you do end up needing a new drive my experience is as follows never used a Hitachi laptop drive but I have used there desktop drives (basically it was a IBM drive) and they where extremely reliable. Use to I wouldn't have hesitated to tell you to get the segate but it seems like last few years segate and western digital have major reliability issues

Last edited by HotRoderX; 02-10-2011 at 00:09..
HotRoderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:16   #3
npatel

It did boot up at some point during the night.

I tried SeaTools this morning, and it failed a couple tests.

I'm trying to locate a copy of Spin Rite to see if that helps / finds the problem.

Hindsight shows that saving $30 by getting an external HDD and taking it apart doesn't always pay off.
npatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 14:10   #4
podwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by npatel View Post
It did boot up at some point during the night.

I tried SeaTools this morning, and it failed a couple tests.

I'm trying to locate a copy of Spin Rite to see if that helps / finds the problem.

Hindsight shows that saving $30 by getting an external HDD and taking it apart doesn't always pay off.
http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
podwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:39   #5
mossberg385t
153.2 dB

Send a message via Skype™ to mossberg385t
I have the Western Digital Scorpio Blue 640GB in my MBP
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136568
I bought it a year ago and its working great

edit: 7200 rpms is going to kill your battery

Last edited by mossberg385t; 02-14-2011 at 02:39..
mossberg385t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 21:54   #6
stooxie
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossberg385t View Post
edit: 7200 rpms is going to kill your battery
Just a different perspective. A little extra battery drain may be worth spending less of your precious life waiting for hard drive access.

I bought an SSD and my life belongs to me again, not waiting for my bleeping drive to decide when I can and can't run a program. Mac, PC, whatever, I say get the fastest I/O you can afford. People buy clockspeed but they live I/O speed (like people buy horsepower but they drive torque).

Just my two cents!

-Stooxie
Old 02-15-2011, 04:44   #7
mossberg385t
153.2 dB

Send a message via Skype™ to mossberg385t
Quote:
Originally Posted by stooxie View Post
Just a different perspective. A little extra battery drain may be worth spending less of your precious life waiting for hard drive access.

I bought an SSD and my life belongs to me again, not waiting for my bleeping drive to decide when I can and can't run a program. Mac, PC, whatever, I say get the fastest I/O you can afford. People buy clockspeed but they live I/O speed (like people buy horsepower but they drive torque).

Just my two cents!

-Stooxie
I wish SSDs weren't so expensive and were larger Tech Talk

Last edited by mossberg385t; 02-15-2011 at 04:47..
mossberg385t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:30   #8
BobbyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooxie View Post
People buy clockspeed but they live I/O speed (like people buy horsepower but they drive torque).
Aaaaactually, people buy PEAK horsepower but drive midrange horsepower.

Torque is like strength, an instantaneous measure. Horsepower is how often you can apply that strength, the actual work you can do.

A torquey car feels more powerful all around because it has more horsepower all around. A torqueless car that makes the same peak horsepower is producing less power at every other engine speed--but it's always horsepower that moves you, not torque (you can gear power into torque, but not vice versa).
BobbyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:19   #9
stooxie
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossberg385t View Post
I wish SSDs weren't so expensive and were larger Tech Talk
I hear you, brother! I have a 160GB and, yes, it was not cheap. The capacity is not a problem for me since I don't have any media collections.

-Stooxie
Old 02-15-2011, 07:19   #10
stooxie
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyT View Post
Aaaaactually, people buy PEAK horsepower but drive midrange horsepower.

Torque is like strength, an instantaneous measure. Horsepower is how often you can apply that strength, the actual work you can do.

A torquey car feels more powerful all around because it has more horsepower all around. A torqueless car that makes the same peak horsepower is producing less power at every other engine speed--but it's always horsepower that moves you, not torque (you can gear power into torque, but not vice versa).
Aaaaaannd my point still stands!

-Stooxie