SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-13-2011, 21:51   #1
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Rethinking my home defense load

I took my Benelli M2 Tactical to the farm today and after unloading and stacking 300 bales of hay I managed to sneak off for some blasting. The Benelli (or my "Tomato Stake" as I like to refer to it) is a relatively new gun in my home. I've only had it a few months and up to today only have about 200 rounds through it. So far so good but today I wanted to pattern some loads and had my eyes opened a little.

The most impressive load from a short range perspective was some old Federal Tactical (made before they made the Flite Control Wad) low recoil #4 Buck. At 7 paces--about 20 feet--that load gave a very nice 10-11" pattern. At 3 paces--roughly 9 feet it gave me about a 4" pattern.
It was clearly THE best spread of the day (meaning it threw the biggest patterns at the short distances.) I prefer 00 Buck but if #4 can give me those kinds of spreads at short distances it might be the way to go inside.

The 00 Buck Federal tactical low recoil and the 00 Winchester Ranger Low recoil loads gave of roughly golf ball size at 3 paces and about 4-5" at 20 paces.

So the #4 Buck gave the biggest pattern.

Here's something interesting: The new Federal Tactical LE Low recoil loads are impressive at beyond 25 yards. For example I could keep 3 pellets on a standard sheet of paper (8x10") at 40 yards with every shot! That's pretty good for a buckshot load out of a IC barrel! So the Federal Tactical Low Recoil with the flite control wads work well and would serve me as an intermediate range load.

I had read reports that the Federal Flite Control Buckshot loads do really well at longer shotgun ranges. My experience the past two years in a duck blind using the Federal Black Cloud loads (uses the exact same flite control wad) has proven to me that the flite control Black Clouds are a very effective duck killer at 40-45 yards with an improved cylinder Benelli Vinci.

The gun shot 15 slugs...Rottweil, Winchester and Federal randomly loaded (I had a bowl mixed up of all kinds) into 4" group at 50 yards It was about 4 inches to the right. But that was offhand unsupported. I could probably bring that down to 2" with a rest.

In all I put about 120 rounds down range today. 3" turkey and steel duck loads, Remington Light STS target loads, 3 or 4 brands of slugs, and a bunch of different buckshot. The gun never missed a lick. I've got a little over 300 rounds through the "Tomato Stake" after this afternoon and its been perfect so far. I'm almost to the point where I will trust it for HD.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 23:09   #2
B Coyote

Quote:
The most impressive load from a short range perspective was some old Federal Tactical (made before they made the Flite Control Wad) low recoil #4 Buck.
Did you buy this somewhere or did you have it lying around? This is my preferred in-home load and I have a VERY limited supply left and cannot find replacements.

bc
B Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 23:17   #3
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

We'll need a volunteer.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:30   #4
tx787

I think what you are doing (testing the patterning with your gun and your ammo) is more helpful than getting information online. Go with whatever gives you the results you want and don't look back! But do keep sharing the results with the community, it's always helpful!

How do you like the M2? I want a tacticool shotgun sometime this year and it's a top contender.
tx787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 15:06   #5
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Coyote View Post
Did you buy this somewhere or did you have it lying around? This is my preferred in-home load and I have a VERY limited supply left and cannot find replacements.

bc
No, I had a ten pack laying around from when I used to use to to hunt coyotes in the deserts of West Texas. They were from the mid 90's actually. A load of #4 Buck will roll a coyote at 25 yards like he was struck by lightning...

Old 02-14-2011, 15:09   #6
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx787 View Post
I think what you are doing (testing the patterning with your gun and your ammo) is more helpful than getting information online. Go with whatever gives you the results you want and don't look back! But do keep sharing the results with the community, it's always helpful!

How do you like the M2? I want a tacticool shotgun sometime this year and it's a top contender.
Its the only semi-auto I would consider and I only bought it after I had more than a decade of experience running Benelli Semi-autos hunting waterfowl. If all the dunkings in the river, mud baths, rice straw, and abuse inside a duck blind or boat can't stop a semi-auto shotgun not much else will. I have complete confidence in the system. Individual guns may vary.

Otherwise its my 870...

Old 02-14-2011, 20:08   #7
VZ1600

#4 buck is a good load for an HD round. I keep Winchester #4 buck in my Mossy SPX and my Mossy 500A. And have a pile of Winchester #1 buck as back-up ammo in the night stand.

Proud Father of a United States Marine!
VZ1600 is offline   Reply With Quote