Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:32   #1
Teecher45

Wingmaster stock.

I've searched the forum and done some Googling, no avail. A couple of months ago my father gave me his old Wingmaster and told me it doesn't even have a box of shells thru it. It has some wear on the blueing but is still a beautiful gun. The problem is the stock is cracked about a full 2". The serial number is V18xxxxV. Questions;
1) in your opinion is it okay to shoot?
2) I've been thinking about replacing the stock but can't find any replacements except plastic, know where to find some?
3) I've thought about replacing the cracked stock with wood, adding an 18" barrell, and extended mag to make it my HD gun. But thinking by the time I do all of that I could have an Express and have a back-up. But I really like the looks of the wingmaster so much more. Opinions?
Thanks guys.

Last edited by Teecher45; 02-14-2011 at 08:41..
Teecher45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:19   #2
aippi

If you want hardwood wingmaster stocks be ready to spend some money. You can get them from Remington. Your best option is to get a set of 870 Laminated wood stocks. These are more durable then hardwood and look good. Check places like Gun Broker as guys take new sets off their guns and sell them all the time.

I will not state that a weapon is safe to shoot when told a solid stock is cracked as I have not seen the crack. It may not be safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:20   #3
cj5mrt

There are alot of wood stocks on ebay for the 870. Sometimes you'll see some that are take-offs from a WM. Good luck in your search.

Mike

I can explain it to you, but I can not understand it for you.
cj5mrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:39   #4
mac66
Plant the seed

If your father had it, it must be really, really old. As such guns made with modern steel should not be fired under any circumstance since it might start a nuclear chain reaction resulting in the complete elimination of all living things on earth. So no, never, ever, under any circumstances, fire that "Wingmaster" for the sake of humanity.

No wait...did you say the stock is cracked? In that case bailing wire and duct tape should fix you up in a jiffy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by mac66; 02-14-2011 at 09:41..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:41   #5
byf43
NRA Life Member

Remington furniture is available from places as varied as Remington, Brownell's, Midway USA, Boyd's.

I've found some nice stocks and some not-so-nice furniture at local gunshows.

While synthetic stocks/forends have a 'practical' side. . . . I really like the look of a great walnut stock with lots of grain and character.

If you want to put walnut on that old Wingmaster, keep looking. You'll find some worthy of your Dad's gift to you.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012

Last edited by byf43; 02-14-2011 at 09:44..
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:47   #6
Teecher45

Okay, this is the best I could do. It is the same on both sides.

Last edited by Teecher45; 02-14-2011 at 11:49..
Old 02-14-2011, 09:50   #7
byf43
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teecher45 View Post
Okay, this is the best I could do. It is the same on both sides.
Take this for what it is. . . .

1. I'm NOT a gunsmith.
2. I wouldn't shoot that grand old Wingmaster with a cracked stock.
3. Spend a few $$$ and get a replacement stock.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
Old 02-14-2011, 10:10   #8
glock2619
Work in Progres

No expert here, but I wouldn't shoot it like that.

As far as finding a replacement, honestly, this is where gun shows come in very handy. If you're patient, you'll find some replacement wood of your choosing for a VERY reasonable price. Just keep your eyes open and don't just walk by the "junk boxes" at your local gun show. Stop and take a peek inside and you never know what you might find.

You might find an 18 or 20" barrel the same way.

Love the old Wingmasters. I have a few. The latest one I picked up is approx 25 years old and literally has had 3 boxes of shells through it. I love picking up these old neglected pieces that nobody wants anymore.
glock2619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:19   #9
Z71bill

Any problem with -

Taking stock off -

Pull cracked piece out as far as it will go without removing it.-

Liberally apply wood glue inside crack -

Clamp - wipe off excess glue - let dry

Install stock back on gun

Shoot until your shoulder hurts

It looks to me from the picture that the crack is cosmetic only -

If you take the stock off - is the bolt hole where you connect the stock to the gun damaged by the crack? If not I would glue it.

Scratches - dings - cracks - as long as they do not impact function / safety give an old gun character.

From the part of me that just likes old guns - taking an old gun - putting new wood furniture - refinish the metal - is not a good thing -

From the practical side of me - if you really want an 18" barrel HD bun - Go but a new express - they cost about $300 - which will end up being about what you spend if you buy new wood furniture and a new barrel and mag extension -

EDIT - is it cracked in one place or two?

Last edited by Z71bill; 02-14-2011 at 10:34..
Z71bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:45   #10
Teecher45

Same place, both sides. Haven't had the stock off of it yet.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:52   #11
Teecher45

This is a shot that will probably help more. It is cracked all of the way through. Any chance of finding a stock to match my forearm, or will it have to be a set? Thanks for all of your help guys.

Last edited by Teecher45; 04-20-2011 at 20:42..
Old 02-14-2011, 12:17   #12
glockrod
NRA-Endow. Life

Gorilla Glue

and a good clamp with soft jaws.

I have an old Mossberg stock that cracked like that. I fixed it and now have untold # of birdshot rounds thru it. Also have an old Ruger 10/22 walnut stock that cracked right behind the reciever. It is fully repaired and functional as well.

Just remember, Gorilla Glue expands. Tighten the clamp as tight as you can without marring the wood. It will leave a ring of glue around the repair, but you can carefully clean it off to leave only a very little reminder of the repair. After Gorilla Glue, the repair is basically stronger than the rest of the wood, so it should be GTG.

My $0.02,

Rod
Old 02-14-2011, 12:25   #13
TxGun

Glue it with regular wood glue, then clamp it. That's how a stock man would do it. Epoxy glue will get brittle and crack along the break. But then you can't reglue it.
TxGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:35   #14
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGun View Post
Glue it with regular wood glue, then clamp it. That's how a stock man would do it. Epoxy glue will get brittle and crack along the break. But then you can't reglue it.
+ 1

Just use basic OUTDOOR wood glue -
Old 02-14-2011, 16:07   #15
Teecher45

Thanks guys, it'll be great if I can save it. Any good tricks for getting the glue into the cracks?
Old 02-14-2011, 17:43   #16
byf43
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Thanks guys, it'll be great if I can save it. Any good tricks for getting the glue into the cracks?

Several years ago, Woodworker's Supply of New Mexico carried injectors (kinda like a needle the doctor would give you) for glue.

Fill that hypodermic (sp??) after spreading the crack (just slightly) from inside the stock bolt hole, then inject some good glue ("Gorilla Glue" is great stuff!), then clamp the stock.
Please note: Gorilla Glue says to wet the surfaces with water. (It's water activated, I guess.)
Gorilla Glue is strong!!!
After clamping the stock, wipe the outside of the stock with a damp rag to wipe off any excess glue.

Good luck with this!!

Old 02-14-2011, 19:09   #17
Z71bill

Quote:
I would wedge something in the bolt hole to make the crack bigger - put a thick bead of glue on all 4 places - try and force it in with your finger - remove wedge - clamp wipe excess.
Old 02-15-2011, 16:03   #18
Teecher45

Okay guys, I bought some good outdoor wood glue and picked-up a cleaning kit. Here's the dumbest question seen in awhile (maybe ever)...
What's the mops in the cleaning kit for? All I've ever used is brushes and patches.

Last edited by Teecher45; 02-15-2011 at 21:17..
Old 02-18-2011, 16:02   #19
Teecher45

Okay guys, got it glued and clamped. Now for how long? The directions say 24 hrs. Good enough, or a little longer?
Old 02-18-2011, 20:10   #20
bsg1

if you check Ebay under the heading "Remington Wingmaster" you'll find wood stocks.
bsg1 is offline   Reply With Quote