Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-14-2011, 21:19   #1
mdfd

Finally a Moss 930 SPX Owner (and stock conversion)!

Thanks to all, I am finally a new Moss 930 SPX owner!

It took me a while to decide and when I did, I initially had a crappy "new" sample which I refused to take delivery on....but my new one came in this afternoon and she is a beaut!

Because I could not find any of the pistol grip stock version from the factory, I bought a standard stock and a separate pistol grip stock from Choate. I had the pistol grip stock here waiting for my 930 SPX today. As soon as I brought it home, I inspected the SG to make sure it was perfect, and did the conversion. I did end up using the MOSS oem 0.375 rise adaptors in order to get it to my liking. The biggest difference between the standard stock vs. the pistol grip stock for me is that the standard stock lop seems uncomfortably long to me. The pistol grip stock has a much more dramatic slope so even though it may be close to the same length, it still feels shorter and more comfortable to me.

Here are some pics before and after:
Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

And here she is with my 590:
Tactical Shotguns
mdfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 22:30   #2
zagzig

Nice, glad to see that you finally got one. Was Vince able to take care of you? When and where are you planning to break it in?
Old 02-14-2011, 22:34   #3
Feanor

I like the handling characteristics of the 930 SPX, however I feel that Mossberg has a terrible track record of QC with this particular offering. Worse, like HK, customer service is at best indifferent. Hope you got a good one, it sure looks nice.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 22:56   #4
Bowtie
NRA MEMBER

Congrats on the SPX. They are awesome SG's

If You Always Do What You've Always Done,
You'll Always Get What You've Always Got.
Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 23:14   #5
mixflip

FINALLY! Congrats brother. Welcome to the 930 club here on GT. Now get out there and put 1000 rounds through it!!!! Oh yeah dont forget to clean it and lube it before you shoot it. Also dont forget to cock the hammer before you field strip it or parts will go flying.

One more tip. Put a little loctite on your rear ghost ring sight. Mine vibrated right off at about 500 rounds? Thankfully I noticed it and didnt leave it in the desert at the end of the day.
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:38   #6
Clint-M

What is this "crappy new sample" you speak of and how do I avoid it? I'm getting a new HD shotgun as a Valentine's present tomorrow and have been real iffy about choosing the SPX after reading up on so many issues from Mossberg's QC and CS.

Looks awesome by the way, love how the stock set-up is enough to satisfy the need to be "tacticool" without loading it up with useless gadgets. Break it in and let us know how it shoots!

CM
Clint-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:43   #7
zagzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
...One more tip. Put a little loctite on your rear ghost ring sight. Mine vibrated right off at about 500 rounds? Thankfully I noticed it and didnt leave it in the desert at the end of the day.
After hearing of people having problems with this I checked out the sight and rail on my SPX. The sight was very tight and hard to get loose. The four screws in the rail, however were not tight at all. I wouldn't even have considered them finger tight. A few drops of blue loctite and all is well.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:12   #8
Z71bill

Is the only difference between the Mossberg 930SX and SPX the pistol grip stock?
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:30   #9
mixflip

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagzig View Post
After hearing of people having problems with this I checked out the sight and rail on my SPX. The sight was very tight and hard to get loose. The four screws in the rail, however were not tight at all. I wouldn't even have considered them finger tight. A few drops of blue loctite and all is well.
Sorry if I mislead you. I was not talking about the picatinny rail screws. Those were good to go. I was talking about the LPA ghost ring sight that has a quick detach knob. I guess mine was not tight enough and the recoil eventually vibrated it right off?
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:46   #10
VZ1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
Is the only difference between the Mossberg 930SX and SPX the pistol grip stock?
Not sure about the 930SX but the 930SPX is available in either stock config.

Proud Father of a United States Marine!
VZ1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 13:57   #11
mdfd

Quote:
Nice, glad to see that you finally got one. Was Vince able to take care of you? When and where are you planning to break it in?
thanks again zag, Vince ended up charging me about the same price as other local gun shops, but I always tend to support the local little guys...

I'd love to go the sooner the better to shoot her, but as you know the options are limited here locally especialy around this time of year...I usually go to Buffalo Rock and shoot all afternoon but this time of year I'll have to look elsewhere....any suggestions/recommendations are appreciated...

Aside from the pistol grip stock, I'd really like to change out that plastic safety tang. I replaced my 590 with a metal one that's almost exactly the same shape and am pleased with it. I'm gonna have to dig thru my paperwork to see where I got it from and order another...
Meanwhile, I'll take it down and clean & lube everything...

There is about 1/4" or so space in the Choate pistol grip stock that I can cut/sand down to shorten the LOP and I'm tempted to do it...the standard stock has maybe 1/2' or so to work with....
Choate stock:
Tactical Shotguns

Standard stock:
Tactical Shotguns

Last edited by mdfd; 02-15-2011 at 13:58..
Old 02-15-2011, 14:10   #12
mdfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
I like the handling characteristics of the 930 SPX, however I feel that Mossberg has a terrible track record of QC with this particular offering. Worse, like HK, customer service is at best indifferent. Hope you got a good one, it sure looks nice.
Based upon my own experience, I would have to agree with the QC. Thankfully, I've never had to deal with their Customer Service yet. One of the main reasons why I did not accept the first sample which was flawed (in my other thread). I could of just accepted it and dealt with Mossberg CS for warranty work, but why bother on a brand new gun? I opted to refuse the first shipment and hold out for a better sample and it paid off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie View Post
Congrats on the SPX. They are awesome SG's
thanks - I'm sure I'll enjoy her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
FINALLY! Congrats brother. Welcome to the 930 club here on GT. Now get out there and put 1000 rounds through it!!!! Oh yeah dont forget to clean it and lube it before you shoot it. Also dont forget to cock the hammer before you field strip it or parts will go flying.

One more tip. Put a little loctite on your rear ghost ring sight. Mine vibrated right off at about 500 rounds? Thankfully I noticed it and didnt leave it in the desert at the end of the day.
Thanks bro - I view your youtube videos all the time and always refer to them for help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint-M View Post
What is this "crappy new sample" you speak of and how do I avoid it? I'm getting a new HD shotgun as a Valentine's present tomorrow and have been real iffy about choosing the SPX after reading up on so many issues from Mossberg's QC and CS.

Looks awesome by the way, love how the stock set-up is enough to satisfy the need to be "tacticool" without loading it up with useless gadgets. Break it in and let us know how it shoots!

CM
Nothing says Valentine's day love like a brand new 12g!
The first "new" sample I got had some pretty wierd things with it. There was a shorter pin in the receiver which made the trigger assembly wobble more than normal. There were also various scratch marks that were suspicious to me as having been there from "factory test fire" use only...the forearm was also quite loose...all of which in sum made me suspect that particular SG had been dissassembled and reassembled (very poorly) for whatever reason. Yet my FFL maintains that it was a new SG and that distributor from Quincy would not try to pull anything. Based upon this, I had to chalk it up to a crappy sample of QC from the factory....
Other issues I've heard of are the canted front sights, loose forearm (mag tube not screwed on tight enough?), pic rail screws being overtightened at the factory and stripped/loose, etc. Member m24shooter has a pretty good writeup on the 930 SPX that I learned alot from...
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...930-SPX-Review

Quote:
Now that just seems interesting.... The first sample I got (which evidently is the same distributor in Quincy as yours) had a ***** load of red loctite in the two screws for the pic rail....
The one I have now is from a different distributor and looks to be in much better shape. No globs of red loctite, no scratches on the base of the LPA GS or trigger guard, no loose forearm, etc...Everything seems right and tight. My trigger assembly more closely resembles mixflip's in the video he did for me; a slight tad bit loose when the bolt is closed and nice and tight when the bolt is open...

Last edited by mdfd; 02-16-2011 at 09:28..
Old 02-15-2011, 14:42   #13
Clint-M

Thanks a ton for the link mdfd, I'm just an hour or so from scouring Austin for a 930 SPX (I've seen two places with them in stock in the last two weeks, fingers crossed) and was hoping I'd get a response before then. I'll make sure to check the shotgun they bring me from the back for fit and finish quality before walking out the door.

Also, from your posts it sounds like you're a dealer? What kind of prices do you have on the better quality SPX's and would you ship if I don't find one?

CM
Clint-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 14:54   #14
mdfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint-M View Post
Thanks a ton for the link mdfd, I'm just an hour or so from scouring Austin for a 930 SPX (I've seen two places with them in stock in the last two weeks, fingers crossed) and was hoping I'd get a response before then. I'll make sure to check the shotgun they bring me from the back for fit and finish quality before walking out the door.

Also, from your posts it sounds like you're a dealer? What kind of prices do you have on the better quality SPX's and would you ship if I don't find one?

CM
you're very welcome any time, the least I can do is give back to the forum the help I get out of it.
Nope, sorry I'm not a dealer. I just do a ton of research when I get interested. LOL, my wife tells me I can be an internet PI if I wanted to...

I ended up getting my 930 SPX (standard stock) at $640.xx OTD. According to my research, that's about average for my location. IIRC, there are alot better deals in your area when I was doing an internet search...

Let me know if you are not having any luck finding a 930 SPX. I can ask my local guy to try and find one for you....

Incidentally, upon my research I came into a brand new Benelli M4 for $1210. Not sure if that's a good deal, but if anyone is in the market for one, just PM me and I'll give you the dealer's info. It's a sweet boomstick, just wish I could afford it....

Last edited by mdfd; 02-15-2011 at 15:07..
Old 02-15-2011, 15:07   #15
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZ1600 View Post
Not sure about the 930SX but the 930SPX is available in either stock config.
I can't find the 930 SPX without the pistol grip.

The 930 SX shows as model # 95360, 930 SPX model # 95370

I assumed the P is SPX stood for pistol grip - but figured there must be something more to the SPX model - because it is always $65-$90 more than the SX.
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 15:17   #16
mdfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
I can't find the 930 SPX without the pistol grip.

The 930 SX shows as model # 95360, 930 SPX model # 95370

I assumed the P is SPX stood for pistol grip - but figured there must be something more to the SPX model - because it is always $65-$90 more than the SX.
the 930 SPX comes with either a standard stock (85360): scroll to right once

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=32

or the pistol grip version (85370): scroll to right 6 times

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the SPX is designated under Special Purpose/tactical home defense whereas the 930 SX platform has a smaller capacity mag as well as different barrels and are more for hunting turkey/waterfowl etc... ...

Last edited by mdfd; 02-15-2011 at 15:25..
Old 02-15-2011, 15:38   #17
Ride5C2

MDFD,
Agree on the safety, Dragon on this forum pointed me to the Ski Slope type safety for the Mossbergs from Brownells. Just search for 'mossberg safety' on brownells. It's the 590 safety (19 bucks I think). Installs very easily (did it yesterday) and a great upgrade. If you go for it, read the reviews or post a note here, for a simplified install.
Ride5C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 15:45   #18
mdfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride5C2 View Post
MDFD,
Agree on the safety, Dragon on this forum pointed me to the Ski Slope type safety for the Mossbergs from Brownells. Just search for 'mossberg safety' on brownells. It's the 590 safety (19 bucks I think). Installs very easily (did it yesterday) and a great upgrade. If you go for it, read the reviews or post a note here, for a simplified install.
thanks Ride, I'll be sure to check it out!
Old 02-15-2011, 19:47   #19
mdfd

OK, I just finished shortening the Choate pistol grip stock by about 1/4". I shaved off 1/4" from the middle spacer (side closest to rubber pad):

Tactical Shotguns

then I took belt sander to task:

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

I drilled a little deeper into the stock so the screws can go in about 1/4" more and then it was done!

BEFORE:
Tactical Shotguns

AFTER:
Tactical Shotguns

Notice the size of the middle polymer spacer (between the stock and the butt pad) relative to the butt pad...

The PG stock originally felt pretty good, but this made it feel even more comfortable.
Old 02-16-2011, 19:34   #20
DRAGON1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride5C2 View Post
MDFD,
Glad to see you like it. It is a great upgrade...you can't miss.
DRAGON1970 is offline   Reply With Quote