SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:58   #1
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Blu-Ray w/ Internet Connectivity ?

I don't have cable TV, but recently started using Netflix (internet) through a Wii. This is an older TV (36" CRT type), but Netflix seems to work pretty well.

Now I'd like to use it with the better TV (Philips 46" LCD). Rather than getting another game console, I understand there are Blu-Ray players with internet connectivity for Netflix, Hulu+, etc.

I've read about some players (Sony) which only allow viewing from the playlist set up from a computer.

Anybody have a Blu-Ray player they are happy with using internet video service?

Any suggestions for other devices to for Netflix?
Old 02-16-2011, 07:21   #2
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316

Send a message via AIM to gemeinschaft Send a message via Yahoo to gemeinschaft Send a message via Skype™ to gemeinschaft
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC-Memphis View Post
I don't have cable TV, but recently started using Netflix (internet) through a Wii. This is an older TV (36" CRT type), but Netflix seems to work pretty well.

Now I'd like to use it with the better TV (Philips 46" LCD). Rather than getting another game console, I understand there are Blu-Ray players with internet connectivity for Netflix, Hulu+, etc.

I've read about some players (Sony) which only allow viewing from the playlist set up from a computer.

Anybody have a Blu-Ray player they are happy with using internet video service?

Any suggestions for other devices to for Netflix?
I say get a PS3.

Not only can you stream Netflix to a Playstation 3, it is also a Blue-Ray player. I use it for Blu-Ray, DVD, Netflix and Games. The PS3 has really paid for itself in my case.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:58   #3
Nicky D
CLM Number 42
Charter Lifetime Member

Another vote for the PS3. I have one that is used primarily the blu-ray feature, rarely game on it. From many articles that I have read, they say the PS3 is the best player out there for the money. It is well supported and gets frequent updates, this is not always true of the stand alone players.
Pennsylvania Glocker #90
Niner's #7172
Nicky D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:51   #4
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316

Send a message via AIM to gemeinschaft Send a message via Yahoo to gemeinschaft Send a message via Skype™ to gemeinschaft
I forgot to add, picking up a PS3 remote control is well worth it. It is set up just like a remote for Blu-Ray/DVD player and makes it easy for my Technology Challenged Girlfriend to use it.

You can use the game controller to navigate Blu-Ray and Netflix, but it is not as user friendly as the remote.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:15   #5
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

I have a Sony BluRay player with Wifi, my Wii and it are hooked up to an old Sony 36" CRT that works beautifully. I'll up grade when it dies. It's a great TV with exceptional sound.

The Netflix setup is the same on the BR as the Wii.

I don't use either. Too much free content on the Internets, plus my 23" Dell monitor is true 1080p with HDMI.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 16:38   #6
dagwag77

I've got a Samsung BluRay wifi home theater system and its awesome, wifi and wired, hulu+, netflix, vimeo work great. This set up also came with speakers, etc... but they have ones without the whole kit

The ps3 is also not a bad idea
dagwag77 is offline   Reply With Quote