SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2011, 13:31   #1
Jeff51
NRA Life Member

Router ?

I have a router on the bottom shelf of my computer stand and the modem is on the top shelf and everything works fine. I moved the modem to the bottom shelf next to the router and now the router does not work! Everything that uses the router says "out of range". Does anybody have a reason why??? Yes, I put everything back where there were and all works fine.
Big Dawg # 276,1911Club #276
G21,G30,G36 Club #276
Military Surplus #276,SKS #276
Kalashnikov Klub #276, Tactical Shotgun #276
S&W# 276,Black Rifle# 276
Jeff51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 13:50   #2
kc8ykd

are the devices that have problems after you move the router wireless or wired into the router ?

stupid question, but when you're moving the modem to the bottom shelf, you aren't accidentally knocking the power out of the router are you? (it happens, more than you think..)

it could be that you've got a marginally bad cable somewhere, and when you move the cable to the new position, it's fully bad, but when you move it back it's wires are able to make their connections. (this could be due to a bad crimp in a connector, or tiny breaks in the wires themselves that make contact when it's in the old position, but lose it when moved to the new)

are you using a cable modem or dsl modem ? after you move it, are all the lights lighting up like normal ? (like the dsl or other connection lights)

Last edited by kc8ykd; 02-16-2011 at 13:52..
kc8ykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 14:23   #3
Jeff51
NRA Life Member

I put the cable modem back on the bottom shelf with the bass speaker between the modem and the router and it still works!! I don't know what happened the first time, maybe the modem and the router can't be right next to each other. Thanks
Big Dawg # 276,1911Club #276
G21,G30,G36 Club #276
Military Surplus #276,SKS #276
Kalashnikov Klub #276, Tactical Shotgun #276
S&W# 276,Black Rifle# 276
Jeff51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 14:46   #4
JimmyN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff51 View Post
Everything that uses the router says "out of range".
I'm going to assume from that statement that everything using the router is wireless. Other than a bad cable with a flakey connection, as pointed out by 'kc8kyd', my first guess would be that the modem is blocking the wireless signal from the router. If you set the modem on the left side of the router, and all the PC's are also left of the router you could be blocking the signal. Try moving the modem to the other side of the router or farther away from it. The closer the modem is to the router the bigger the shadow it would cast in the signal to/from the router.

Actually the wireless router would do better on the top shelf to get the antenna up in the air.