Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2011, 17:59   #1
AmeriMedic21

DPMS Lower Review?

i am currently awaiting my tax return to buy my ar kit and lower. well i decided to go to my local gun store and see if they have any stripped lowers. The clerk told me that they currently have DPMS stripped lowers for $130.00 which to me seems like a descent deal. i then told him that i was planning on putting it on a del-ton kit and needed to know if they fit well with other AR rifles and not just DPMS rifles. The clerk then told me that a lot of companies contract out to one big company for their receivers and just put their own stamp on them... I dont know enough about AR rifles to argue with the clerk so i just took his information with a grain of salt. surly this isnt the case is it? i am wanting to put this DPMS lower on a del-ton m4 kit, but i really dont want any slop(not that much anyway) on the gun, i was originally going to buy a Spikes Tactical lower for $100 but after dealer transfer fee and shipping im looking at $140 roughly, plus i want to support my local gun store as well. so with that is the DPMS lower any good?
Old 02-16-2011, 18:07   #2
mvician
Lifetime Membership

Nothing wrong with a stripped DPMS lower

As far as how will it fit with a Del-Ton kit, you won't know till you mate them up.
mvician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 18:13   #3
zhix

I was told yesterday that I can get a DPMS lower for $100 from my dealer since one of the distributors has a sale on them right now.
I have not owned a DPMS lower but I have enough confidence in them to buy one, if I didn't have the three McKay lowers I just got for under $225 OTD.
zhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 18:22   #4
FatBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriMedic21 View Post
i am currently awaiting my tax return to buy my ar kit and lower. well i decided to go to my local gun store and see if they have any stripped lowers. The clerk told me that they currently have DPMS stripped lowers for $130.00 which to me seems like a descent deal. i then told him that i was planning on putting it on a del-ton kit and needed to know if they fit well with other AR rifles and not just DPMS rifles. The clerk then told me that a lot of companies contract out to one big company for their receivers and just put their own stamp on them... I dont know enough about AR rifles to argue with the clerk so i just took his information with a grain of salt. surly this isnt the case is it? i am wanting to put this DPMS lower on a del-ton m4 kit, but i really dont want any slop(not that much anyway) on the gun, i was originally going to buy a Spikes Tactical lower for $100 but after dealer transfer fee and shipping im looking at $140 roughly, plus i want to support my local gun store as well. so with that is the DPMS lower any good?
Yup, that is more or less true. There are a very few manufactures of lowers. See here http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=318113

I have two on DPMS lowers and they are fine as are most others. I have used 2 RR, 2 Anvil, a Cav Arms, an Essential, an Armalite, and an AR15.com branded lower. All work fine.

Some are darker/lighter(finish) or tighter(RR) than others but all are fine.

FB

FB

Some people are like Slinkies: Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
FatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 19:36   #5
DD26
Anti-Anti

Aside from a very small amount of horrible companies.......a lower, is a lower, is a lower, nowadays. They'll all do the same thing, equally well.

You can pretty much boil it down to buying whatever's cheaper or which rollmark you like better.

As for fit, it's usually hit or miss. You could take 2 lowers from the same company, and it could fit the same upper differently.
DD26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 20:24   #6
mjkeat

you shouldnt have a problem w/ a DPMS lower.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 23:35   #7
AmeriMedic21

so when it comes to the slop in the receiver, is it the receivers fault? or is it the Uppers fault? or both? everything seems to claim that they are made to mil-spec, and if that was the case it "should" just fit like a glove every time. is it a defect in the manufacturing process? because when i receive my kit, i plan on taking my upper to the local gun shop to see what lower fits it better. would that be my best option?
Old 02-16-2011, 23:46   #8
em2b96p

i have no problems with my DPMS lower at all. My only dislike is the teflon finish. Essentially its a shiny black finish. it donest match the upper at all.
em2b96p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 23:49   #9
DD26
Anti-Anti

Quote:
so when it comes to the slop in the receiver, is it the receivers fault? or is it the Uppers fault? or both? everything seems to claim that they are made to mil-spec, and if that was the case it "should" just fit like a glove every time. is it a defect in the manufacturing process? because when i receive my kit, i plan on taking my upper to the local gun shop to see what lower fits it better. would that be my best option?
"Milspec" by no means indicates "tight", when it comes to upper/lower fit.

It doesn't effect function at all, so I wouldn't personally worry about it. If it bothers you, there are some sort of plugs you can get to tighten up the fit. But keep in mind, supposedly, they can break and end up inside the FCG and clog things up. I can't personally verify that, as I've never used them, though.
DD26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 23:50   #10
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
It isn't slop. Upper/Lower play is normal and more desirable than a super tight fit. You hear a bunch of crap about fit on the internet from people who would only be happy if the two receivers were welded together. Don't worry about it.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 00:27   #11
0tact

I looked at these for a couple of builds. In the end I only picked up one. Out of three different lowers none of them would fit a magpul pmag correctly. I did get the pmag in one lower but drop free was a no go.

I do understand that you can trim a pmag to make it work or even grind on the receiver. I didn't feel like doing that to a new receiver. Also, the mags fit with room to spare on all my other receivers.

The one I did buy was for use with a cmmg dedicated 22lr upper. Those mags fit no problem. I am sure a standard GI mag would also fit but I don't have any to try.

If you use pmags keep this in mind and even take one to the store with you when buying the lower. Of course with a sample size of three I am not saying all DPMS lowers a like this so YMMV.

Oh yeah, the finish looks great. A standard part kit went in flawlessly as well. Works perfect as a 22.
0tact is offline   Reply With Quote