SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-18-2011, 22:00   #1
nukinfuts29

Send a message via AIM to nukinfuts29
Firearm Molding

I'm trying to make a Kydex holster but I don't have the gun on hand like i usually do. Is there a way to have my buddy make a mold of his gun that will be suiteable for Kydex forming?

I searched around but those are mainly for training and martial arts.
nukinfuts29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:45   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

I'd recommend using Gimp to build your mold instead of Photoshop... It's free, and far easier to use. Make sure your virus and malware software is up to date also.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:50   #3
nukinfuts29

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I'd recommend using Gimp to build your mold instead of Photoshop... It's free, and far easier to use. Make sure your virus and malware software is up to date also.

IGF
I'm a Linux user so i wouldn't use PS anyway, but I'm not talking about making pictures on the computer. I'm talking about making a mold of a gun to be used forming Kydex holsters. I'm not sure where you got graphic arts from that.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:56   #4
Medic3166

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukinfuts29 View Post
I'm a Linux user so i wouldn't use PS anyway, but I'm not talking about making pictures on the computer. I'm talking about making a mold of a gun to be used forming Kydex holsters. I'm not sure where you got graphic arts from that.
Maybe cause this is in the Tech Talk forum?
Medic3166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:56   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Well, at least you're smart enough to use Linux...

Now if you'd just learn to read forum topics... (This is a computer subforum)

IGF
Old 02-19-2011, 11:26   #6
nukinfuts29

SOAB i knew i should have gone to bed last night.

My apologies
Old 02-19-2011, 18:29   #7
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
SOAB i knew i should have gone to bed last night.

My apologies
Ah, No harm no foul.. You're not the first person to make that mistake. To be truthful, the forum's name is kinda ambiguous, so it's an easy mistake to make... but that doesn't stop the nerds down here from making fun of those that do it..

IGF
Old 02-20-2011, 02:52   #8
Ogreon
unlisted

Quote:
I'm trying to make a Kydex holster but I don't have the gun on hand like i usually do. Is there a way to have my buddy make a mold of his gun that will be suiteable for Kydex forming?

I searched around but those are mainly for training and martial arts.
They might be close enough to work.

Some sites (like the 1911 forum) have holster sections with active holster makers contributing and/or moderating.
Ogreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:21   #9
Kriterian

Just in case you look here, I'll offer some advice.

- Use silicone, since it pretty much only sticks to other silicone. Do a small test on the polymer portions. If you're concerned about adhesion, put a small coat of Vaseline over your gun as a release. Clean it off after molding.

I would recommend a 2 part silicone putty. It's easy to use, just mix up two equal sized balls of part A and B and press over the object you want to mold.

Smooth-On makes good products and has some excellent customer service.
Here's their two part silicon putty: http://www.smooth-on.com/Silicone-Ru...133/index.html

Cut out some foamcore board to form walls around the gun, mix up some putty and fill up the box. Press the gun down halfway into the putty, and then press a pencil eraser into the putty a few inches away from the gun, to make key holes. Let it solidify and do not remove the gun. Seal the silicone with a mold release (Ease-Release, also available at Smooth On) and then do the same thing for the other side of the half of the gun, making a two part mold. The putty will go down in those little pencil eraser divots forming bumps that will lock the mold together later.

Once it's solidified, separate the two halves and remove the gun. Now you can use a resin, again available at Smooth On, to make a copy of your gun. You'll need to cut a pour spot, preferably in the spot on the mold where the back of the gun would be located to prevent air entrapment.

More than likely, it will cost more than buying one of those Bluegun safety training fake Glocks though.

PS:

Here are a few videos to show you how to make two part molds if my description is kind of lacking:

Two part mold video using liquid silicone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3eR89iGyio

I would not recommend using a pourable silicone because it could seep into the magazine well, or through the gap between the slide and the frame.

Last edited by Kriterian; 02-22-2011 at 08:25..
Kriterian is offline   Reply With Quote