Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-19-2011, 18:48   #1
rfrf

mywebsearch

How do I remove Mywebsearch completely ?
Thanks in Advance,

rfrf
rfrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 22:00   #2
srhoades

Download Malwarebytes, update it, run quick scan, remove everything it finds.
srhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 22:12   #3
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

{sigh} And boot into SAFE MODE to do the scans.... Unless you like scanning a couple of times.

HTH.
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:26   #4
rfrf

Thanks I will try it,

rfrf
Old 02-20-2011, 07:53   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre! View Post
{sigh} And boot into SAFE MODE to do the scans.... Unless you like scanning a couple of times.

HTH.
Just for the record, I would run Safe mode without networking. My sister had that "Antivir 2011" virus... I scanned it once w/ Malwarebytes in safe mode (with networking) when I restarted back to normal, I still had the virus, despite removing it. After I ran it w/o networking, it removed it for good.

Only thing I can figure, is it somehow got on the net and rejuvenated itself while it was being removed.

Just to echo that though, ALWAYS run your malware software in Safe Mode.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:24   #6
rfrf

I ran Malwarebuyes and it removed Mywebsearch. Does Malwarebyte run in background or only when I operate scan ? Thanks for the great advice !

rfrf
Old 02-20-2011, 08:34   #7
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfrf View Post
I ran Malwarebuyes and it removed Mywebsearch. Does Malwarebyte run in background or only when I operate scan ? Thanks for the great advice !

rfrf
Pretty sure the free version only runs when you are scanning.

Glad you got it fixed, Malwarebytes is a pretty slick program for removing this silliness.

IGF
Old 02-20-2011, 09:27   #8
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Just for the record, I would run Safe mode without networking. My sister had that "Antivir 2011" virus... I scanned it once w/ Malwarebytes in safe mode (with networking) when I restarted back to normal, I still had the virus, despite removing it. After I ran it w/o networking, it removed it for good.

Only thing I can figure, is it somehow got on the net and rejuvenated itself while it was being removed.

Just to echo that though, ALWAYS run your malware software in Safe Mode.

IGF
Hey Indy,

C'mon Dood.... the *FIRST* time I leave off the 'w/ Networking' ya ding me for it...

I honestly can't think of a time when 'w/ NETWORKING' made a difference, but I agree that if a virus does actually replace a legitimate Windows system file it could potentially load at start up. It does seem to me that anything other than Windows system files are stripped from SAFE MODE - so that you have a chance recover broken apps, perform diags, update drivers and such.

But you were correct to ass-u-me that I would normally include 'w/ NETWORKING'.... it's just that I was checkin to see if I could keep you Nix Guys on your toes...

Hope you got a great 3 day weekend cookin!

Keep Smiling...
Old 02-20-2011, 16:35   #9
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post

Only thing I can figure, is it somehow got on the net and rejuvenated itself while it was being removed.IGF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre! View Post
I honestly can't think of a time when 'w/ NETWORKING' made a difference, but I agree that if a virus does actually replace a legitimate Windows system file it could potentially load at start up.
Hey guys ... I too had a virus that somehow showed back up after scanning while in safe mode WITH networking so now I unplug the network cable after updating whatever utility I'm going to be using ... if it's a really nasty virus or infected computer I'll reboot to safe mode W/O networking AFTER updating in safe mode.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 16:57   #10
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post
Hey guys ... I too had a virus that somehow showed back up after scanning while in safe mode WITH networking so now I unplug the network cable after updating whatever utility I'm going to be using ... if it's a really nasty virus or infected computer I'll reboot to safe mode W/O networking AFTER updating in safe mode.
Yup, pretty much my new methodology... I boot into SAFE MODE w/ NETWORKING really only on my systems.

Someone elses? Then we do the updates in SM w/NET, and scan in SM Only...

When you are on the clock, or bid by the job... just makes sense to knock it out *quickly*...

Pretty sure we all agree on that...
Old 02-20-2011, 17:07   #11
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post

That's what I've done...
1. Boot Safemode with Networking
2. Install Malwarebytes
3. Update Malwarebytes
4. Reboot to Safemode w/o Networking
5. Run Scans.
Old 02-20-2011, 22:27   #12
srhoades

Instead of all that hoopla just copy the latest definitions file from another computer that has malwarebytes and move it over on a thumb drive.

Last edited by srhoades; 02-20-2011 at 22:27..
srhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 13:41   #13
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfrf View Post

rfrf

MalWareBytes is amazing....yes, the free version only scans when you open the software & initiate a scan.

You have to upgrade to the paid version to get real-time "resident" protection.