SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-22-2011, 21:53   #1
g34fan

.308 Bolt Action

Zak,

I have decided my next purchase will be a .308 bolt action rifle. I have narrowed my choices to what I think is 3 rifles (unless you have other suggestions)

In order:
Savage Arms 10 FCP-K
Tikka T3 TAC
Remington 700 SPS

All have 24" barrels

I would also be interested in you opinion on a good place to start looking in terms of scopes.

Thank you.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:53   #2
Zak Smith
3Gunner

Hi,

I have written a half dozen articles on scopes, how to choose scopes, and what makes a good long-range scope. Links to them are in the tacked thread in this forum, or on my web site.

With regard to the rifle choices, they should all perform well. The Remington is the most common. The Savage has a great reputation for out of box accuracy, and the Tikka has the "European quality" reputation. The T3 has a long action (shorter cartridges use a bolt stop), so its action will be longer than the other two, though in theory you could convert it to any long action cartridge later.

One aspect to consider is what you need to do to the gun, right off the shelf, to get it to fix you properly. The FCP-K stock is a conventional hunting stock and is not adjustable. It will almost certainly not fit anyone right with a scope mounted, and would need to be replaced.

The SPS is in the same boat.

The Tikka has a raised cheek piece which can fix issues for most people.

If it were me, I would get the Savage and put it in a McMillan or Manner stock; or get the Remington and drop it in an AICS. The latter choice requires no gunsmithing/bedding and would be the easiest modification.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.308, bolt-action, remington 700, savage, tikka