Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:18   #1
TRaGiK

Send a message via Yahoo to TRaGiK
Just Right Carbine 9mm Review

General Firearms Forum

I'd been looking for a 9mm carbine that uses Glock mags, that was not a Keltec, for a while now. Found out about the JRC, and my LGS had one in stock, so I decided to give them a try.

The gun is all metal with the exception of the collapsable stock, and feels much like a AR in my hands. Uses AR furniture, and a AR trigger setup. The bolt handle can be moved to either side of the gun, and so can the ejection...and they can be moved from one side to the other, independantly of each other.

Unfortunately, the mag release isn't like the bolt. It's on the left side, and there is no changing it to the right.

So far, I've put 150 rounds through it, and had a single jam that I'm fairly certain was not the guns fault. When it jammed, it ended up with 2 pieces of fired brass in the ejection area, and fed a fresh round on top of the most recently fired brass. I'm fairly certain one piece of brass fell back into the ejection port after firing another shot, due to the rest I was using (a pile of carpet). This is the only thing I can think of that would have caused that to happen. In the 150 rounds I've put through it, it's never actually shot twice with one trigger pull, but I don't want that to even be a possibility.

With the above said, I'm not wild about the ejection of the rifle. The brass almost trickles out of the ejection port. It's tossed maybe a foot out, and down by my feet. This was using Winchester NATO, Geco 124gr, and RWS 124gr ammo. I suspect using cheap WWB might cause some problems, but I rarely use that anyway, so...

One somewhat major problem (that should be easily and cheaply fixed) I noticed this morning is that the trigger releases the hammer twice with one trigger pull. I noticed this prior to going to the range with it today (which made me cancel the range trip) while looking the gun over at home today, doing a check. Racked the bolt, pulled the trigger, racked again while holding trigger, and then let off of the trigger...hammer fell again. It won't do it if I quickly let off the trigger, but slowly releasing it, it does. It seems as if everyone that has sent their JRC back to the factory, waited 2+ months to get it back. Too slow for my liking, so I'm going to put in a new disconnector and hammer in and see if that takes care of it.

The trigger of the rifle is pretty gritty feeling. It feels like it's near what it's advertised to be (4.5 pounds), but it's not a clean and crisp trigger at all. It has seemed to get slightly better with firing, but still not great. Good enough for it's intended purpose though, and not too much different than my Glocks.

Feeding and firing has been perfect. It's worked great with both 33 round mags I have, the 10 round G17 mag that was included, 17 round G17 mags, and 15 round G23 mags. It does NOT like NFML Glock mags though. They're all but impossible to get in the magwell, harder to get them locked in, and takes a winch to get them back out. If I get the above problem fixed, I'll probably just sell off the couple NFML mags I have and buy FML mags.

FML mags fit and lock in fine, albeit they have some wobble. The wobble hasn't effected function though, and I've wiggled them every way possible trying to get the gun to malfunction, and it won't. I may have a friend make me a longer (top to bottom) mag well though, so that it gets rid of the wobble. While it doesn't seem to effect function, it drives me mad.

One thing I'm not wild about on the JRC, is it uses a metal mag release. Not a big deal if you use metal mags, but I'm a little worried it'll chew up the plastic Glock mags. IF it does, I'll either have to buy mags that are primarily used for the JRC, or see if I can get someone to make me a plastic mag release.

Field stripping is kind of dumb as well. To field strip and remove the bolt, you must remove the buffer tube/stock. As much as it seems this rifle tries to be an AR, why didn't they make it more like an AR?

The upper reciever is similar to an AR, except the buffer tube is mounted to the upper. Also, rather than using pins to hold it together, it has allen screws that hold it to the lower.

The mag well comes off seperately, and the gun is advertised to be multi caliber, being able to easily swap out barrels, mag wells, and bolts. Supposedly the hole swap is $250, but I haven't verified this myself just yet. Calibers offered are 9mm, .40, and .45. I do wonder if it'd be possible to make a 10mm carbine out of it using a .45 mag well and 10mm Glock mags, .40 bolt and barrel, and have the chamber reamed to 10mm length...and use a stiffer buffer spring and/or buffer. Hmm...

Overall, despite everything noted above, I actually really like the JRC. It feels well built, uses Glock mags, and parts availability is pretty good since alot of the parts are AR15. The parts that aren't AR, that are likely to get worn, I'll buy some spares from the manufacturer of the gun (mostly the extractor, and probably a spare ejector as well, and a firing pin).
TRaGiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 14:13   #2
G27RR

Interesting,that's one I haven't seen before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Life Member, NRA Endowment Life Member
My EDC -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

My blog -
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 16:48   #3
TRaGiK

Fix the hammer issue by filing the disconnect, so all is well with that now.

Took it to the range to zero the new Magpul MBUS sights I put on it, and it functioned perfect for another 50 rounds.
Old 02-28-2011, 20:13   #4
Glockster17

Send a message via AIM to Glockster17
Thanks for the link and the great review. Very valuable info. --Rob
Niner's Club #686
Black Rifle #686
10 Ringer #686
1911 Club #686
Snubbie #686
Glockster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 20:16   #5
TexasVine

Nice write up.
Old 02-28-2011, 20:43   #6
TRaGiK

Having problems with it again. Ugh.

Kept having failure to eject/extract problems tonite at the range. Was having 1 to 2 per mag, and the last mag I had probably 10.

Extractor isn't grabbing the rim of the round at all.

This gun is going to turn me into a freaking JRC gunsmith before this is over with.

I haven't taken it apart to see exactly what the problem is yet, but I suspect it's an ill fitting extractor...much like the disconnector was.

I'll take it apart tomorrow and see if it can be fixed without any parts.

I also had a problem with it at the range yesterday. The screw holding the bolt handle came loose. Fixed that today with some loctite.

I REALLY want this rifle to just "work"...more so than other problem guns I've had in the past. It's so close to being the perfect 9mm carbine for me. Every other gun I've had problems with, I quickly lost my patience and sold/traded them. I'll put a little more time into this one, but if it gives me another problem, I'm afraid it'll be gone in a hurry.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:17   #7
mac66
Plant the seed

Am I blind? I don't see a link.

Cost?

Nevermind, I googled it. Apparently MSRP is $800 (ouch!)

Last edited by mac66; 03-02-2011 at 09:23..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:46   #8
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post

Cost?

yeah $800 and problematic....I think I will find something else..when I pay $800 it better pretty much be FLAWLESS lol.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:18   #9
H&K 4 LIFE
Leonum A Ignis

I'm (unfortunately) very familiar with the gun and the problems associated with it. My uncle bought one when it first came out and it has been back to the factory twice.

First of all, judging by the charging handle alone, you appear to have the earliest version. JR has since upgraded the rifle with changes to the magazine well, feedramp, charging handle, and the buffer assembly in the buffer tube.

My saga goes like this...

Purchased gun and shot it. Multiple failures to feed. Gun came bone dry so a little lubrication aided in the cycling. Magazine catch also chewed at the polymer notch on every Glock mag I used in it and the magazines locked in rather loosely. Despite this, we pressed onwards.

Gun shot ok up until about 400 rounds at which point it just stopped working (no firing pin impression on the cartridge whatsoever).

I called JR and they had me send it in. They informed me of the warranty upgrade (mentioned previously) and performed it.

Got an entirely different rifle back about a month later (different SN#). After cleaning and lubrication, took it to the range. Within the first magazine, the rifle would vibrate erratically when a round was fired. This happened 4 times within 40 rounds. Frankly afraid to shoot it anymore I stopped and called JR. They advised me to check to make sure all the buffer components were present inside the buffer tube. They were.

So I sent it back again....

I got it back a month later. This time fouled on the inside and bone dry again. I cleaned it a re-lubed it.

As of 2/18/11, we have fired 210 rounds through the rifle without issue (100rnds. of RWS 124gr FMJ and 110rnds of WWB 115gr. FMJ). Only time and more shooting will tell if the matter is truly resolved.

I strongly suggest you contact Dave at JR Carbines for the warranty upgrade. Their number is (585) 396-1551.
Old 03-03-2011, 19:08   #10
TRaGiK

MSRP is $599, NOT $800. Street price is $550 - $580. Even if MSRP was still $800,who pays MSRP for anything?

H&K 4 Life - The pic above is not mine...note the "gunblast" in the corner of the pic. Mine is the newest version of the rifle.

The extractor on mine is indeed bad. EMF doesn't sell parts for it. ATI, one of the current distributors, doesn't sell parts for it. I had JRC's number, after repeated calls got ahold of someone, and they're sending me 2 extractors free of charge.

At this time, I've put ~400 rounds through the rifle. Haven't had one single fail to fire or fail to feed, but around 20 to 30 fail to extract and/or eject...due to the extractor.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with the rifle. I've lost any faith I've had in it. Even though it's mostly a range toy, I have no patience for guns that don't function properly. I MIGHT give it another shot with the new extractor...but may immediately trade it after putting the new part in it. We shall see...

Last edited by TRaGiK; 03-03-2011 at 19:12..
Old 03-03-2011, 19:12   #11
bac1023

Thanks for the review.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:34   #12
Sgt. Rambo

Anyone have any experience with one of these in .45 w/1911 mags. I'm very interested in one but with what you guys are reporting...well I'll at least keep researching.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:48   #13
BudMan5

"I'd been looking for a 9mm carbine that uses Glock mags, that was not a Keltec, for a while now. Found out about the JRC, and my LGS had one in stock, so I decided to give them a try.:

About your opening line, is there a specific reason you did not want to try/use a Kel Tec?

I travel a lot, I like havinga shoulder fired weapon with me (I hesitate to use "long gun" with the Kel Tec) and the Kel Tec Sub 2000 makes it a lot easier to walk across a motel lobby. I carry it, a Glock 17 and 12 17 round magazines in a lap top bag that I modified. Nobody is the wiser.

I have had pretty good luck with the Kel Tec. Actually, for a $350.. (+/-) I am astounded. I do not have any Glock 18 mags (33 rounds) but using Glock 17 mags, I have not yet experienced any FTE or FTF. I am using the NATO 124 gr FMJ as an "all around" round. It is good to go out to 100 meters. The sights are dead on the money at 25 yards and shoot about 4 inches low at 100 meters.

I have not modified the Sub 2K at all, it is bone stock because it's initial appeal to me was the its' ability to hide in plain sight. It is not a main battle rifle by any means but it is a great 'if I have to fight my way home bag" addition.

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by BudMan5; 01-12-2012 at 07:52.. Reason: spelling
BudMan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:01   #14
Ghost Tracker

Nice to know the details, thanks for the write-up. I've been thinking about a 9mm carbine for a while as well & have researched the cost & features of the semi auto UZI & MP5 clones, Beretta Storm, Kel Tec, Mech Tech, Hi-Point, AR conversions, et al. And I've listened to the always-present shouts of "why a pistol caliber carbine?" crowd. I've decided that, because I very much enjoy GLOCK features of capacity, reliability, etc., that I'll simply SBR a G34. Yeah, there's an extra $200 permit & a bit of paperwork in the mix. But in the end I won't have much worry about parts, reliability, durability, capacity, or my own capability to clean or fix it. I would rather spend ~$800 to make that happen and think of nothing but trying to wear it out...than spend ~$400-500 and then tinker, tweak & try to feel wise about my savings. IMHO, the all GLOCK 9mm carbine is well-worth the bump. I eventually forget about that extra $300...and when I do, I might suppress that puppy!

Last edited by Ghost Tracker; 01-12-2012 at 08:57..
Ghost Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:14   #15
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan5 View Post
"I'd been looking for a 9mm carbine that uses Glock mags, that was not a Keltec, for a while now. Found out about the JRC, and my LGS had one in stock, so I decided to give them a try.:

About your opening line, is there a specific reason you did not want to try/use a Kel Tec?

I travel a lot, I like havinga shoulder fired weapon with me (I hesitate to use "long gun" with the Kel Tec) and the Kel Tec Sub 2000 makes it a lot easier to walk across a motel lobby. I carry it, a Glock 17 and 12 17 round magazines in a lap top bag that I modified. Nobody is the wiser.

I have had pretty good luck with the Kel Tec. Actually, for a $350.. (+/-) I am astounded. I do not have any Glock 18 mags (33 rounds) but using Glock 17 mags, I have not yet experienced any FTE or FTF. I am using the NATO 124 gr FMJ as an "all around" round. It is good to go out to 100 meters. The sights are dead on the money at 25 yards and shoot about 4 inches low at 100 meters.

I have not modified the Sub 2K at all, it is bone stock because it's initial appeal to me was the its' ability to hide in plain sight. It is not a main battle rifle by any means but it is a great 'if I have to fight my way home bag" addition.

General Firearms Forum

you do any of this in Illinios? Gecko45 is that you?

Last edited by OctoberRust; 01-12-2012 at 09:15..
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:31   #16
Syclone538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Tracker View Post
And I've listened to the always-present shouts of "why a pistol caliber carbine?" crowd.
When someone asks that, just ask them what's the cheapest ammo that has more punch then a .22LR.

Taurus has a carbine that looks like a UMP.

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 14:44   #17
BudMan5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
you do any of this in Illinios? Gecko45 is that you?
ah, Gecko45, some of my favorite posts.....

yes, I start in Illnois where I live and then, like I said, I travel. And, as a retired LEO, I have an Illinois concealed carry permit that is good in all fifty States .

I was also medically retired as an Army 1st Sgt of a light infantry company after I broke my back (and a lot of other things) in a training accident in 1997. After I learned to walk again, they retired me.

So, what are you questioning? The fact that I carry two (actually, it's three) firearms whenever I travel? That pretty hard for you to believe, is it sunshine?

Here's another hard to believe fact, I have more guns at home!
Old 01-12-2012, 20:52   #18
Aceman

Any pistol cal carbine that uses Glock mags is a great idea...if it works reliably.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:23   #19
Bill Keith

My experience is much the same as BudMan5. My KelTec Sub 2000 is also the Glock using 9mm variant. No problems whatsoever after 2000+ rounds. I use 10 rd, 17rd, and 33rd mags, Glock mfg and the Korean mfg mags, no difference at all. It rattles around in the trunk of my car in a gym bag. I believe the only other 9mm rifle I'd have is a Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm. I have the 45ACP version.
Bill Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:41   #20
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post

Cost?

$800 is pretty cheap for an AR.

As for the problems - I'd guess that they used a lot of AR components - possibly including the buffer and buffer spring, which could interfere with extraction when shooting 9mm (and cause the brass to hit the ejection port, rather than ejecting cleanly. But, looking at how they have changed the upper and bolt/carrier, it's hard to say what the changes are that may be affecting it, so that could be entirely wrong.

If it was a Colt 9mm, I'd just say "get a weaker buffer spring."
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote