Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:27   #1
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Finished my Saiga 12 conversion

Hey ya'll,

So finally finished my Saiga 12 conversion a couple days ago. It wasn't really that bad, but a couple parts took me longer than they should have. I'd allocate 3-6 hours if you're doing it for the first time. Probably only an hour or two if you've done it before. I used a Tromix stock, and FCG, and a Carolina trigger guard. Quad rail and hand guard from K-var.

Drilling out the rivets is easy, just take your time. Had to hacksaw off the rear upper "tang" (?) to put in the internal stock adapter. So no "going back." Springs were kind of a pain. Everything just took a bit.

Anyway, one more part is waiting for me at the post office. A Tromix "shark break" for the end of the barrel. Also, still deciding what to do about sights.

Getting close! Exciting. Everything seems to function. A-ok...can't wait to take it out to the range.

I would have had more pix, but got sick of filming about a third of the way thru...next time maybe..

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns
]

Last edited by Louisville Glocker; 02-27-2011 at 23:22..
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 18:05   #2
GotDogs

That looks sweet. Nice job!! John .
** G36
GotDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 23:13   #3
docwade

Watch that tromix brake. I had to take mine off. I kept jabbing myself with it.
docwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 23:19   #4
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

I added some pix, including the BHO after modifying and installing...
Old 02-28-2011, 00:59   #5
Under8ted

Send a message via AIM to Under8ted
Looks good. Let us know how she shoots.
Kalashnikov Klub #996 Tactical Shotgun Club #996 Black Rifle Club #996
Under8ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 16:54   #6
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Took it to the range yesterday. Shot flawlessly. One ounce slugs. WhoooHooooo (I was nervous).

Looks even cooler now with the Tromix Shark Break and CSS tactical sights. Also, adding a limbsaver tonight or tomorrow (gotta glue it on). I'll post some more pix soon...
Old 03-13-2011, 17:59   #7
DD26
Anti-Anti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Glocker View Post
Took it to the range yesterday. Shot flawlessly. One ounce slugs. WhoooHooooo (I was nervous).

Looks even cooler now with the Tromix Shark Break and CSS tactical sights. Also, adding a limbsaver tonight or tomorrow (gotta glue it on). I'll post some more pix soon...
The heavy loads like slugs and buck are usually never a problem for S12's. It's the low powered birdshot that they have trouble cycling sometimes (granted, they're not designed for birdshot; it's a combat shotgun).

Have you tried running any cheap Walmart Federal bulk-pack through it? Usually, after running heavy loads for awhile, things will smooth themselves out and it will cycle birdshot fine afterwards. Assuming you have the correct size/amount of gas ports.
DD26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 18:36   #8
Navitimer

Nice job man! Saiga conversions are great projects and a lot of fun IMO. I just finished up my second Saiga 7.62 conversion. I'd love to do a Saiga 12 but that's unfortunately out of my budget right now. Russian AKs rock!
Navitimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 21:23   #9
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

I haven't tried "light" loads, like the cheap walmart stuff yet. Yeah, we'll need to see if that cycles properly. Hopefully.

On the 7.62 subject, I guess a bit a little off topic for this section, but I also tried out my new Draco pistol, that uses 7.62x39 rounds. (AK style, so it really is a short barrel rifle with no stock - it'd be easy to convert if I paid for the stamp). That thing has some serious pop to it. Unfortunately, my local range doesn't want me shooting that ammo there. Too much velocity. Oh well. I'll take it to the outdoor range. At least they're ok with the Saiga 12.

Here is 9 rounds from the Saiga 12, 20 rounds from the Draco, a few from my glocks, and a few from my kid's 22. The 12 guage to the head would hurt.

Tactical Shotguns
Old 03-19-2011, 10:30   #10
NH Trucker
Needs coffee...

I recently did the conversion to my Saiga 12. I went with an M4 style stock with an ACE M4 folding stock adapter, internal reciever block, CAA grip with Carolina Shooters Supply DIY trigger guard, Tromix G2 trigger group, and shelled out for a few extras including the Tromix extended charging handle, low brass reliability kit, and extended mag release. It was fun to do and not too difficult (God bless Dremel!) I'm currently waiting for Chaos to finish their production for their HK style sights which I'll be mounting to their extended quad rail.

Right out of the box and after doing the conversion the Saiga ran 100% with slugs and 00 buck, but I had a some difficulty running the Walmart value boxes of bird shot. The low brass reliability kit (multi-setting gas adjuster, reduced power recoil spring, new puc) has fixed that issue. Now it runs 100% with everything! I haven't had a chance to take any pictures of it yet, but I'm hoping I'll get some up soon.
Old 03-19-2011, 17:54   #11
DD26
Anti-Anti

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhtrucker1880 View Post
I recently did the conversion to my Saiga 12. I went with an M4 style stock with an ACE M4 folding stock adapter, internal reciever block, CAA grip with Carolina Shooters Supply DIY trigger guard, Tromix G2 trigger group, and shelled out for a few extras including the Tromix extended charging handle, low brass reliability kit, and extended mag release. It was fun to do and not too difficult (God bless Dremel!) I'm currently waiting for Chaos to finish their production for their HK style sights which I'll be mounting to their extended quad rail.

Right out of the box and after doing the conversion the Saiga ran 100% with slugs and 00 buck, but I had a some difficulty running the Walmart value boxes of bird shot. The low brass reliability kit (multi-setting gas adjuster, reduced power recoil spring, new puc) has fixed that issue. Now it runs 100% with everything! I haven't had a chance to take any pictures of it yet, but I'm hoping I'll get some up soon.
Careful shooting heavier loads with that reduced power recoil spring. It's meant for birdshot, so if you're running buck and slugs with it, you might start beating up the rear trunnion with the carrier.
DD26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 20:36   #12
NH Trucker
Needs coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD26 View Post
Careful shooting heavier loads with that reduced power recoil spring. It's meant for birdshot, so if you're running buck and slugs with it, you might start beating up the rear trunnion with the carrier.

I thought about that when I was shooting the value pack birdshot, so I keep the reduced power spring in my range bag for when I plan to use birdshot at the range. I keep the stock spring in it for around the house. I just wanted to have it on hand and make it run with the lighter load. I should have mentioned that in my earlier post. My bad, but good catch and definately important to mention. Especially with all of the price gouging that's going on right now with yet another rumor of a ban (don't know how true this one is), with buy it now prices online starting at $800+ for a factory configured one, irreparable damage would really hurt the wallet!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:08   #13
jamaicanj

Looks good
Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
Glock Certified Armorer & GSSF Member
jamaicanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 18:58   #14
denn1911

Nice job. The Saiga's look so much better after the conversion.
denn1911 is offline   Reply With Quote