Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-27-2011, 22:35   #1
pweshay

hollow point

Today companies are pretty close in power, but out of the different companies which holllow point would you say is and will be the most effect of them all? FYI, I have a .357 sig G32 and G33.
pweshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:49   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

While we may all have preferences in the different calibers, I can't honestly say there's any one design that's head and shoulders above the rest across the board.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:52   #3
pweshay

I agree with what you are saying and understand. Can you answer this?Do you have any opinion on it, and if so why? I see it like race bikes, if your a good rider, your still going to win racers but some bikes have a better power to weight ratio. I was curious if the same went for bullets? I come into question on speer dot, because alot of police are using speer got dots and winchester ranger t series. Is this from studies or just simply price and availability?

Thanks for all the info you've put on this site. i really enjoy reading the professional responses.
pweshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:18   #4
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Interesting analogy. With ballistics, it's more velocity to weight.

Seems to vary with the caliber. In .357 Magnum, in the anti-personnel context as opposed to hunting, "light and fast" proved itself in the '70s and '80s: a 125 grain bullet at 1450 fps.

In the 9mm, the 124-127 grain at 1250 fps that's my current favorite is seen today as a medium weight range, but would have been "heavy for caliber" a quarter century ago. Until the coming of the "super-heavy" 147 grain subsonic in the late 1980s, for most of the 9mm Parabellum's history, 124 grain was the heaviest bullet weight you could buy in a loaded cartridge.

In .45 ACP, John Browning had originally conceptualized a 200 grain bullet, but the military wanted heavier so 230 grain became standard weight. Today, though there are certainly good, proven 185 and 200 grain bullets in the caliber, 230 grain are the most popular and the most street proven, so "heavy for caliber" seems to be the leader in this example.

The rounds that get used and issued the most are the ones that become the most "researchable" and the most "street proven." Those are the ones by the biggest makers: Federal, Remington, Speer, Winchester.

Hoping that's helpful,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote