SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-01-2011, 19:49   #1
Icelander513
rocket surgeon

Glock NS instal: turnaround time & options

Wondering if anyone who has (or know someone who has) sent their slide to Smyrna, GA in the last few months could let me know what the general turnaround time was. I'm looking to send my slide in but I would like a rough estimate on how long it would be.

Also, does Glock offer any deviation from green/green stock nightsights? A yellow-rear/green-front nightsight combo would be ideal but green/green will suffice if that's all they do.

Thanks in advance.
Icelander513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 19:52   #2
CTGlock79

I'm interested to know this as well as total cost? Thanks
CTGlock79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 21:21   #3
wrangler5

AFAIK, Glock only offers green/green nites. My G26 came that way. I've put orange/green on my G19s (Meprolites) and like 'em, but I haven't heard that Glock will do that for you. FWIW, the green rears are supposed to last longer than any of the other colors.
wrangler5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 21:26   #4
MrV

It should cost you anywhere between 10-30 bucks depending on the shop. But honestly...once you realize how simple it is you'll almost be disappointed you forked over the cash to have someone complete the task. Sure, if you don't want the liability of breaking something in your hands, pay up...but if your somewhat confident in your own ability, it's a piece of cake.

I've installed night-sights on three of my Glocks using nothing more than a small dish towel, a wooden spoon, hammer, Loctite, 3/16 hex socket, and a hammer.

I'll explain the process if your interested.
MrV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 21:48   #5
AJSully421
Armed Citizen

If you only have one or two glocks, sure, send it in.

If you have more, it will be worth it to get a rear sight pusher and a front sight screw driver and then order sights and install them yourself.

I found a sight pusher from an online retailer that was going out of business for about half price. Look around, you might find one.

Glock will take no less than 2 weeks to do anything.

Last edited by AJSully421; 03-01-2011 at 21:49..
AJSully421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 21:54   #6
Icelander513
rocket surgeon

Fyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrV View Post
It should cost you anywhere between 10-30 bucks depending on the shop.
It's cheaper (including shipping) to send the slide to Glock and have them install factory night sights (~$60) than it is to buy mepro's not including shipping or install (~$80).
Old 03-01-2011, 22:28   #7
tx787

I sent a G19 slide in, took about 4-5 weeks. It's a good option if you don't have a good local store nearby that will do the same. I had another one (well 17 actually) which I took to GT Distributors (local), they did the same thing for the same price in 2 minutes (no exaggeration).

tx787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 22:41   #8
Icelander513
rocket surgeon

Thanks for the info. Is there a directory of shops that offer this service anywhere online?
Old 03-01-2011, 22:59   #9
CTGlock79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrV View Post
It should cost you anywhere between 10-30 bucks depending on the shop. But honestly...once you realize how simple it is you'll almost be disappointed you forked over the cash to have someone complete the task. Sure, if you don't want the liability of breaking something in your hands, pay up...but if your somewhat confident in your own ability, it's a piece of cake.

I've installed night-sights on three of my Glocks using nothing more than a small dish towel, a wooden spoon, hammer, Loctite, 3/16 hex socket, and a hammer.

I'll explain the process if your interested.
Question: I've watched a few videos and read some tutorials about how to do it. Don't doubt that I have the skill to change the sights, but my concern is about final placement of the rear sight, how tight is the tolerance? My "banging" the rear sight into place and having it be off just enough to throw me off. Is this a realistic concern, or is there a positive stop point so that I would know when I've banged it in enough?

Hope that question made sense. Thanks.
CTGlock79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 22:31   #10
Icelander513
rocket surgeon

bumpp
Old 03-16-2011, 02:26   #11
AJSully421
Armed Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGlock79 View Post
Question: I've watched a few videos and read some tutorials about how to do it. Don't doubt that I have the skill to change the sights, but my concern is about final placement of the rear sight, how tight is the tolerance? My "banging" the rear sight into place and having it be off just enough to throw me off. Is this a realistic concern, or is there a positive stop point so that I would know when I've banged it in enough?

Hope that question made sense. Thanks.
You would be amazed how little a slight rear sight misalignment matters at 21-30 feet. Next time you go shooting, take a B27 and line your rear sight up about half way across the blade of the front sight on one side or the other and see how far off it is. I bet you still hit within the rings.

Eyeballing the rear sight IS good enough for combat accuracy at normal pistol distances.
AJSully421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:27   #12
Nickpisp

When I bought my G19 they took it in the back and put nights sights on it before I finished the paperwork.
Nickpisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:29   #13
crazyrec12
cornbread

There used to be a guy on here out of mississippi that made a rear sight pusher for half the price of a glock pusher. I bought one two years ago and have used it on all my glocks since.
crazyrec12 is offline   Reply With Quote