Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-07-2011, 20:00   #1
Captains1911

Remington 870 - Trouble Loading 6th Shell in Tube

This is a brand new 870 Express Synthetic with a factory 2 round mag extension. When loading 2 3/4" shells, often the final (6th) shell will not load, because the entire 5 round stack is "stuck", meaning I can't push them into the tube any further, as if something is catching or binding. After taking it apart and studying it closely, I'm almost positive that the forward end of the follower is catching on the joint between the mag tube and the extension tube, as if the two don't fit together exactly perfect and therefore create a lip for the follower to snag on. The instructions that came with the mag extension indicate not to over tighten the extension tube, which I am not, but I don't think that matters.

Is this a common problem? I was considering upgrading the follower and spring to this:
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Spring-F...info/SGSFK-EX/

Will this likely solve the problem, or is there a better solution?

Last edited by Captains1911; 03-07-2011 at 20:26..
Captains1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 20:10   #2
GlocknSmith

I had the same issue with the same 870. I loosened the screw on the clamp that goes on the barrel and magazine tube (where you attach a sling). Seemed to fix my issue pretty well.
GlocknSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 20:23   #3
aippi

Sounds like a simple install issue. Go to www.aiptactical.com and click on the red link "Install and cleaning". Install the tube extension per those instructions and your issue will be over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 20:37   #4
Captains1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
Sounds like a simple install issue. Go to www.aiptactical.com and click on the red link "Install and cleaning". Install the tube extension per those instructions and your issue will be over.
What does he mean by "pop the coupling"?
Old 03-07-2011, 21:03   #5
aippi

Just before you run out of threads on the tube take the heel of your hand and hit the mag tube coupling a couple times. Then finish screwing the tube on. What happens is the spring gets caught in the threads and you tighten the tube down on it. You think the tube is installed and then install the bracket. Later the spring pops out and there is a gap there and this allows the spring to get hung up. By hitting the coupling this insures the spring is not caught in the threads and the tube joins up with the magazine tube and gives you a clean conection. There are no gaps for the spring to hand up on. If you follow the instructions you may even hear the spring pop out of the threads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer

Last edited by aippi; 03-07-2011 at 21:04..
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 21:05   #6
Captains1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
Just before you run out of threads on the tube take the heel of your hand and hit the mag tube coupling a couple times. Then finish screwing the tube on. What happens is the spring gets caught in the threads and you tighten the tube down on it. You think the tube is installed and then install the bracket. Later the spring pops out and there is a gap there and this allows the spring to get hung up. By hitting the coupling this insures the spring is not caught in the threads and the tube joins up with the magazine tube and gives you a clean conection. There are no gaps for the spring to hand up on. If you follow the instructions you may even hear the spring pop out of the threads.
Makes perfect sense, thanks for the help.
Old 03-07-2011, 21:14   #7
GlocknSmith

Great question and great answer. Thanks for the info!
GlocknSmith is offline   Reply With Quote