Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-08-2011, 19:28   #1
10head

40/357sig size?

making a order for sig brass(starline) and a review said he used a 40 size die for the body and then a sig die for neck, i have not seen this before anybody else do this and why.
10head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 22:30   #2
PCJim

The 357Sig case is basically a 40S&W case necked down to hold a 9mm bullet. From what I understand, only one manufacturer, Dillon, makes a 357Sig carbide resizing die and it is not cheap (I use Lee). Many reloaders use a 40S&W carbide resizing die to resize the main body of the brass without having to use a case lube, then use the 357Sig resizer for proper setback of the shoulder and to resize the mouth.

Last edited by PCJim; 03-08-2011 at 22:40..
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 22:45   #3
sellersm
disciplinare

I do what PCJim said -- size first with the 40 S&W and then again with the 357sig die. Don't need to lube the case that way.

You can do it with just the 357sig die, but you'll want to lube it a bit first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Prosecute criminals, not guns!
sellersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 23:56   #4
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCJim View Post
The 357Sig case is basically a 40S&W case necked down to hold a 9mm bullet. From what I understand, only one manufacturer, Dillon, makes a 357Sig carbide resizing die and it is not cheap (I use Lee). Many reloaders use a 40S&W carbide resizing die to resize the main body of the brass without having to use a case lube, then use the 357Sig resizer for proper setback of the shoulder and to resize the mouth.
Yep, the only way to fly is Dillon for carbides sizers. Wierd, Lee could put a carbide ring in their 357sig die just as easily as the 40. So using the 40 die is vaible, but adds a step as you must use the 357sig sizer to set the shoulder & reform the neck. It's a low pressure job at that point, no case lube needed.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote