GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:10   #1
VG36A

Bobbed hammer, Yes or no and pics of my new to me 1911.

I just picked up my first 1911. It's a build done on a Remsport frame and slide. Remsport OEM's frames and slides to bigger companies. This was an over run frame for NightHawk. I bought it from the second owner for just over $650. I'm happy with it so far. The original owner put some good and also some ok parts into the build. He totally missed on the grip safety. The frames are cut for Ed Brown radius grip safeties and he decided to use a Wilson style so he filed down the area that was hitting. Sights are a little hacked but function and can be fixed. Not the prettiest but it functions well. I had it checked out and she is ready for action. This is going to be a range gun that will be handled by a lot of different people (my village bicycle so to speak) and a HD gun. I think it will work great in that role. Trigger pull is pretty light, smooth and has a great break compared to my other guns and others I've shot.

1911 Forums
1911 Forums

Came w/2 power 10's that will be great for the range and home.
1911 Forums

Slide to frame fit is tight. The extractor is a little in from the end of the slide but the fit is great. Shows a little bit of the carnage from the inexperienced owner trying to do some fitting.
1911 Forums
1911 Forums

A little far but functions great.
1911 Forums

Now to my main question; How many of you manually cock the hammer of your 1911? Since it's new to me, I find myself handling it quite a bit. I've been sitting watching TV cocking the hammer and getting used to the trigger. I have another 1911 being built to spec for me and one option he had was a bobbed hammer. He had is on a few of his personal builds and I really like the look of it. I would loose the capability of hand cocking the hammer but I think that will be ok. How many of you have a bobbed hammer? Maybe I could have him leave a little material there so it maintains 95% of the look I like and still gives me the ability to manually cock the hammer.
VG36A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:01   #2
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

It's got potential.........looks like he beat the crap out of it!

Are the slide/frames rail galled?
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:40   #3
knedrgr

only time I cock the hammer is when I'm working on the gun and test the FC and Safties functions. Other than that, my EDC 1911 stays cock.

BTW, nice acquisition. Could use a little blending on the rear of the slide...looked like the old owner was trying to blend it with a hammer.

Also, it has a rail, but where's the notch to hold the light in place?
COTEFT #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

knedrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:41   #4
knedrgr

did they guy buy a government rail frame and chopped off the dust cover to fit on the commander slide? hummmm...
COTEFT #2

Old 03-17-2011, 06:53   #5
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Keep in mind, there is more to bobbing a hammer than loosing the ability to cock the hammer. You are also removing mass / weight, which will effect the lock time and the strike to the firing pin. Since your gun already has a lightened / "skeletonized" hammer, it may become too light. If you really want a bobbed hammer, you might consider starting with a millspec style hammer.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:41   #6
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by knedrgr View Post
....Also, it has a rail, but where's the notch to hold the light in place?
Quote:
did they guy buy a government rail frame and chopped off the dust cover to fit on the commander slide? hummmm...

I knew something was missing.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:32   #7
VG36A

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
It's got potential.........looks like he beat the crap out of it!

Are the slide/frames rail galled?
Ya the original owner was not kind to it. The slide to frame fitting and the barrel fitting were done before they left the shop. I had the owner of Remsport tear it apart to ensure that it was in good working order before I fired it. He sold it originally and as a fitted slide/frame/barrel combo so no galling. The action is really smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
Keep in mind, there is more to bobbing a hammer than loosing the ability to cock the hammer. You are also removing mass / weight, which will effect the lock time and the strike to the firing pin. Since your gun already has a lightened / "skeletonized" hammer, it may become too light. If you really want a bobbed hammer, you might consider starting with a millspec style hammer.
This gun will stay the way it is. It is for my other one that is being built. My guess is that it would start as a solid hammer. He had it on 3-4 guns of his own guns that were at the shop.

Quote:
only time I cock the hammer is when I'm working on the gun and test the FC and Safties functions. Other than that, my EDC 1911 stays cock.

BTW, nice acquisition. Could use a little blending on the rear of the slide...looked like the old owner was trying to blend it with a hammer.

Also, it has a rail, but where's the notch to hold the light in place?
Thanks. I think that it's still new to me so I'm still "playing" with the hammer and trigger pull a lot. I'm going from shooting a Glock and a Kahr to this. I'm used to the long double action pull and this is like nothing.

I still haven't decided if I'll remove some of the tooling marks and try to fix the mess ups that are on the gun. Like I said it's going to be a workhorse so I'm sure a friend will bang it or ding it up. If I get some free time maybe I'll mess around with it. I'm not too concerned about looks as long as it runs well. The next one will be for my hands only.

Quote:
I'm not really sure what that means. The notch may be one of the things that the final shop puts on so this guy didn't do it. I am thinking about the light so it will be going to my friends machine shop to have the notch cut. I'm not sure where the dust cover is but the rail and the front of the frame have not been modified. Where should I be looking to see if this is the case?
Old 03-17-2011, 12:50   #8
knedrgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG36A View Post
Ya the original owner was not kind to it. The slide to frame fitting and the barrel fitting were done before they left the shop. I had the owner of Remsport tear it apart to ensure that it was in good working order before I fired it. He sold it originally and as a fitted slide/frame/barrel combo so no galling. The action is really smooth.
You had John at Remsport look over this particular pistol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG36A View Post
I'm not really sure what that means. The notch may be one of the things that the final shop puts on so this guy didn't do it. I am thinking about the light so it will be going to my friends machine shop to have the notch cut. I'm not sure where the dust cover is but the rail and the front of the frame have not been modified. Where should I be looking to see if this is the case?
The dust cover is the rail area, from the trigger guard forward toward the muzzle. For a normal, non rail, 1911, it's mainly round.

If you had John looked over the frame, you want want to see when the frame was built, cause he'd mentioned that Remsport hasn't build a rail commander in about 2 years. So if it's older than that time frame, then it might be a true commander frame. If not, then most likely, it's a cut down government frame, which means the frame rails might be longer than the commander's frame rail. From some of the pictures that I've seen of Remsport's kit, the notch are pre-cut. But chances are, the builder might have requested the notch not be cut from Remsport.
COTEFT #2

Old 03-17-2011, 13:09   #9
VG36A

Quote:
You had John at Remsport look over this particular pistol?

The dust cover is the rail area, from the trigger guard forward toward the muzzle. For a normal, non rail, 1911, it's mainly round.

If you had John looked over the frame, you want want to see when the frame was built, cause he'd mentioned that Remsport hasn't build a rail commander in about 2 years. So if it's older than that time frame, then it might be a true commander frame. If not, then most likely, it's a cut down government frame, which means the frame rails might be longer than the commander's frame rail. From some of the pictures that I've seen of Remsport's kit, the notch are pre-cut. But chances are, the builder might have requested the notch not be cut from Remsport.
Yes, I took the gun to John. He said it was not a looker but should run like a top. He tore it down and filed this and buffed that before putting it together again. He said he remembered the frame. It was a NightHawk frame that he had over runs of. I'll have to ask him about the notch when I see him again.

He is building my next 1911. It's going to be a full SS bead blasted finish with black controls, Bobbed tail, checkered front strap and main spring housing plus a few other little things.
Old 03-17-2011, 13:13   #10
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Either way you look at it,........it will be killer when it's done!
Old 03-17-2011, 13:21   #11
Rinspeed
JAFO

Looks like the guy beat the slide on with a hammer.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 13:21   #12
VG36A

Yup can't wait. I just needed a cheap in. Hehehe. I hope I can control myself because unlike some of you guys in here, my wallet can't support what I would want.
Old 03-17-2011, 13:23   #13
VG36A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
Looks like the guy beat the slide on with a hammer.
Yea. Beginner's fail I guess. I haven't decided if I'm going to try to fix it yet. My guess is I'll wait a little and see that other battle scars she gets over the summer and then maybe work on it over the winter.
Old 03-17-2011, 20:26   #14
knedrgr

if it works, and you're happy with it, that's all that matters!
COTEFT #2

Old 03-17-2011, 22:00   #15
Fifty Thousand

Yeah Im agreeing with above posted. For use your stating its main purpose will be, the hell with looks as long as it shoots, and shoots STRAIGHT. Didnt see or didnt pay attention to what you payed for it but, shoot it. And say the hell with looks.