Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 16:07   #1
cgnavarro
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 26
Send a message via AIM to cgnavarro
Remora Holster Review/Purchasing Experience

I first heard about Remora Holsters on a firearms podcast I listen to regularly, and thought the idea of a clip-less holster very intriguing. Several weeks ago I purchased one after having listened to and reading several more positive reviews. I purchased a model 6ART for my Glock 27. I received it on a Saturday, within a week of ordering it. After working with it for the day in different strong side positions and cants, I realized that I couldn't draw the pistol without the holster coming out with it. It seemed that the holster was covering too much of the grip frame. As I gripped the gun, my index finger inevitably pinched just a bit of the holster material between the frame and my index finger. This caused enough friction on the grippy material to bring the holster with the gun. I found that particularly odd seeing as I had order an "ART" model which was supposed to be cut to better allow access to the pistol's grip.

That very evening I used the "Contact Us" feature on the Remora Holsters website to inform them of the issue I was having, and what I thought the cause was. I inquired as to how I could verify I received the right product, and if they would be willing to exchange my holster for a smaller model that exposed more of my pistol's grip frame.

Within less than two hours, I had an email reply from the Owner of the company, Alan Bogdan:

"Thank you for purchasing a REMORA holster....You can look inside the top of the holster it should be written there what series and style you have.....If it is the 6 ART that would be the lowest profile holster we make as a stock holster...this is really the first problem with un-holstering of this style and series we have received any feedback on ....How ever un-holstering is of the most importance.... I will do a custom holster lowering the profile by the grip giving you a little more access to the grip.....I will ship the holster out next week at no charge....Keep the existing holster maybe you have a friend with a different gun that the holster may accommodate... Thank you again for choosing REMORA

Keep Safe !!"

When I read this message, I was astounded at the level of customer service he was willing to provide. Not only did he take the time to address my issue right away (and on a Sunday), but he offered me a brand new custom holster to boot at no charge.

After that, Alan and I exchanged a couple of emails with pictures and a video demonstrating the specifics of my issue with the holster. Within just a few days, I had a brand new custom holster specifically tailored to fit my gun, a Remora Holsters gun mat, and a hand written note. He even upgraded my new holster to a reinforced top model.

Having used the holster for a few weeks now, I couldn't be more pleased. It's comfortable, retains my gun well without slowing down my draw, and it disappears in any waistband. I can even substantiate the claims that it will hold in place in sweats with just a cinched up drawstring.

I would have no reservations in recommending a Remora holster to anyone looking for a top-notch concealment holster, with top-notch customer service behind it. Their products are innovative, quality built, and company ownership goes above and beyond to satisfy their clients.

Link to the Remora Holsters website:
http://remoraholsters.com/

Link to the Remora Holsters "Reviews" page containing other reviews, photos, and some very compelling videos on the holsters retention abilities.
http://remoraholsters.com/Reviews.html

Link to "Average Joe's Handgun Reviews", the first review I encountered when I began researching these holsters.
http://averagejoeshandgunreviews.blo...-holsters.html

Link to "The Gun Nation Podcast" episode # 28 where I first heard about Remora Holsters.
http://www.gunnation.us/2010/08/8-27...ack-lever.html
__________________
Glock 27: XS Big Dot Nght Sights, GAP Mag Floor Plates, Pearce +1 & +0 Floor Plates, Storm Lake 9mm Conversion Barrel (for practice).
cgnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:14   #2
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr
 
racer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,383
Wow! That's amazing service! I just bought two of them today at the Palm Beach gun show.
racer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 14:34   #3
vinnynj
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgnavarro View Post
I first heard about Remora Holsters on a firearms podcast I listen to regularly, and thought the idea of a clip-less holster very intriguing. Several weeks ago I purchased one after having listened to and reading several more positive reviews. I purchased a model 6ART for my Glock 27. I received it on a Saturday, within a week of ordering it. After working with it for the day in different strong side positions and cants, I realized that I couldn't draw the pistol without the holster coming out with it. It seemed that the holster was covering too much of the grip frame. As I gripped the gun, my index finger inevitably pinched just a bit of the holster material between the frame and my index finger. This caused enough friction on the grippy material to bring the holster with the gun. I found that particularly odd seeing as I had order an "ART" model which was supposed to be cut to better allow access to the pistol's grip.

That very evening I used the "Contact Us" feature on the Remora Holsters website to inform them of the issue I was having, and what I thought the cause was. I inquired as to how I could verify I received the right product, and if they would be willing to exchange my holster for a smaller model that exposed more of my pistol's grip frame.

Within less than two hours, I had an email reply from the Owner of the company, Alan Bogdan:

"Thank you for purchasing a REMORA holster....You can look inside the top of the holster it should be written there what series and style you have.....If it is the 6 ART that would be the lowest profile holster we make as a stock holster...this is really the first problem with un-holstering of this style and series we have received any feedback on ....How ever un-holstering is of the most importance.... I will do a custom holster lowering the profile by the grip giving you a little more access to the grip.....I will ship the holster out next week at no charge....Keep the existing holster maybe you have a friend with a different gun that the holster may accommodate... Thank you again for choosing REMORA

Keep Safe !!"

When I read this message, I was astounded at the level of customer service he was willing to provide. Not only did he take the time to address my issue right away (and on a Sunday), but he offered me a brand new custom holster to boot at no charge.

After that, Alan and I exchanged a couple of emails with pictures and a video demonstrating the specifics of my issue with the holster. Within just a few days, I had a brand new custom holster specifically tailored to fit my gun, a Remora Holsters gun mat, and a hand written note. He even upgraded my new holster to a reinforced top model.

Having used the holster for a few weeks now, I couldn't be more pleased. It's comfortable, retains my gun well without slowing down my draw, and it disappears in any waistband. I can even substantiate the claims that it will hold in place in sweats with just a cinched up drawstring.

I would have no reservations in recommending a Remora holster to anyone looking for a top-notch concealment holster, with top-notch customer service behind it. Their products are innovative, quality built, and company ownership goes above and beyond to satisfy their clients.
Same experience except I ordered the wrong model but even the correct one made my j-Frame ride a little too high in my pocket. Alan custom made one with an open bottom that fit perfectly and made the gun ride about a half inch lower in my pocket. Also had a problem with the LCP holster as it kept coming out of the pocket because it covered too much of the gun. He sent another model and it works much better although I do not have a full combat grip on the LCP like I do with the Nemises pocket holster so i will use it for IWB or those times when I want to both pocket and IWB carry like while driving to a shopping mall.
vinnynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:08   #4
theglockside
Member
 
theglockside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 56
I just ordered a holster from them. I decided to call Remora first before ordering to make sure what "cut" would be best. He said the ART6 is ideal for the g27 as its the smaller side of the size 6 and the art is ideal for a positive grip. Also the less materiel wont affect retention when IWB. He also said because I called he would give me a FREE MAG POUCH. Now that's awesome customer service. I hope I like the holsters as much as others do. I will be needing a few more if so.
theglockside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:58   #5
NMG26
Senior Member
 
NMG26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NM
Posts: 5,606
I bought one for my Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 in barrel.

Really cool to be able to pocket cary my Blackhawk in the front pocket of my jeans. LOL

I also have one for my LCR and it works great Appendix or pocket.





..
__________________
Bickford Schmeckler: ******* tyranny of logic!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by NMG26; 11-09-2011 at 09:59..
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 18:21   #6
Klaatu
Member
 
Klaatu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 58
Remora gets my kudos also.

Was looking for an alternative to crossbreed-type holster and because of positive Remora user feedback, thought I'd give its no-clip design a try. Called Remora's customer service and spoke with Bogdan who recommended a 10SS. Asked about Sweat Shield properties and not only did Bogdan explain about it, he offered to send the new Full SS (for the price of SS) along with a free mag pouch just for calling. Received items promptly but found 10SS was sent instead of 10FSS. Emailed customer service about this and they promptly sent 10FSS and another mag pouch at no cost!

Talk about outstanding customer service.
__________________
Glock 19 G3, Advantage Arms L.E. 19-23 kit
Mossberg 590A1 Persuader 12g 18.5

Klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 18:35   #7
jb1911
Senior Member
 
jb1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,196
I love Remora holsters but I can't use them. I get a nasty rash if I wear it all day, even if my underwear is between it and my skin. Bummer. If it wasn't for that the Remora would be all I'd use.
__________________
Chuck Norris wears Hickok45 pajamas

Black Rifle Club Member "LE6920Colt"

Last edited by jb1911; 12-26-2011 at 08:34..
jb1911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:42   #8
HRK
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
I love Remora holsters but I can't use them. I get a nasty rash if I wear it all day, even if my underwear is between it and my skin. Bummer. If it wasn't for that the Remora would be all I'd use.
Funny I've worn one for a year with no problems, got a new one
for a different gun and got a rash, thought it was maybe the heat as it was on a very hot day, rash took a while to go down,

Worn a different one I got with a new 1911 and bam it's back even through the underwear...
HRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 21:11   #9
Cgrubb1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 78
I was curious about their 3 in 1 holster and sent a few emails. All were answered promptly. Alan helped me get the right holster for my LCR and sent a free mag pouch. I like the product, and service.
On an unrelated note, I have gotten a rash ony ankle whn using it as an ankle holster. I have never used an ankle holster, but I don't think this particular model is the most comfortable for ankle carry. I do like it for IWB though.
Cgrubb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:00   #10
jtohio
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
I bought 2 remora holsters. 1 for my Smith and Wesson Shield and one for my wifes LCR. So far she hasn't worn hers at all, but I wear mine all the time. I love the holster! We took my kids for a bike ride last night about 5 miles....We were racing each other and off and on the bike with no problems......All in basketball shorts.

I am considering buying a LCP and would love a remora for in the pocket carry, but not to sure they make one cut back enough I can quickly access the gun from my pants pocket.
jtohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:21   #11
SEARTraining
Member
 
SEARTraining's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: S. Bay Area, CA
Posts: 91
The subcompact will fit in the 10ART giving you a holster for the compact and subcompact models. If you do not have a sub then the 6ART would be the best option. Love mine. Below is my video review.

__________________
32* A&ASR F&AM, LEO, EMT
Glock 33 .357 Sig, Glock 19 Gen 4, M&P 40c, Kahr PM9, SW99
SEARTraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:23   #12
NJR
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 59
This is probably a dumb question but is there any retention against a gun grab for this holster?
NJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:14   #13
NMG26
Senior Member
 
NMG26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NM
Posts: 5,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJR View Post
This is probably a dumb question but is there any retention against a gun grab for this holster?
Appendix carry concealed pretty much keeps the gun front and center. I always feel secure. I would not want to go hand to hand though............with any of my holsters.

So that is a no. No retention. You just have to pay attention.

.
__________________
Bickford Schmeckler: ******* tyranny of logic!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 13:15   #14
Klaatu
Member
 
Klaatu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 58
My Remora mag pouch doubles as an Ontario Rat Folder knife holder. Works great.
Gun-Parts & Access.
__________________
Glock 19 G3, Advantage Arms L.E. 19-23 kit
Mossberg 590A1 Persuader 12g 18.5

Klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 15:18   #15
Rockimook
Senior Member
 
Rockimook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 175
Alan is very helpful. They have a great product at a great price. I make sure I get one for all my carry guns even if I dont plan on it being my main holster. Its a good back-up/quick trip holster.
Rockimook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 19:59   #16
NJR
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 59
Thanks for the info folks. Buying a holster is such a PITA, it's like buying pants. Too many damn choices and hardly anything fits just right.

I'm definitely going to get one for the Chief's Special, and probably for the Glock 20. I just bought a Desantis Softuck and the damn thing bulges out from underneath my tshirt and shorts. I had a Desantis Insider with a KelTec PF9 and that was concealed but the grip sat at belt level.

I just ordered an Alessi Deep Cover for the Chief's Special but may cancel the order unless they can get rid of the reinforced mouth and maybe put on a small retention strap instead. Frankly, it just sounds like a more expensive, somewhat better version of the sof tuck.

Anyway, the Remora looks comfortable and concealable without all the BS tactical operator features.

Last edited by NJR; 06-15-2013 at 20:04..
NJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 22:38   #17
NJR
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 59
Just took my RAMI in the Mika holster and canted it so that the grip sat in the hollow in front of my hip, maybe a 15 to 20 degree cant. Even the RAMI pretty much disappeared, so I'm sure the Remora will work great for the Chief's Special and the RAMI. I think I'll use something more secure for the Glock 20 though and put that at around 430.
NJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 00:15   #18
colin1230
Senior Member
 
colin1230's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,124
I was looking for a way to holster my G26 while traveling in the car. I normally carry it in a White Hat Max Tuck but found it uncomfortable setting in tight bucket seats with it holstered. I checked out several car holster rigs but most required drilling holes to mount which was totally out of the question. I wanted the gun within easy reach of my right hand, between the passenger seat and console maybe? Walla, the Remora works wonderful. When entering the car my G26 comes out of the White Hat and right into the Remora. For a little discression, I put my hat over it. Oh, the Remora is a pretty nice IWB holster also.
__________________
G17, G19, G21, G26, G30, G34 and G42.
NRA Life Member
AF&AM Life Member

Last edited by colin1230; 06-16-2013 at 00:16..
colin1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 19:56   #19
jp3975
Senior Member
 
jp3975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Texarkana, Tx
Posts: 6,403
I like them quite a bit.

Its the only reasonably priced holster that will accommodate a laser.
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 20:07   #20
jbailey8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 572
Send a message via Yahoo to jbailey8
So.... That extra holster you got... Will it accommodate my G23? Hint hint...

__________________
Gen 2 Glock 17
Gen 3 Glock 23
S&W Sigma .40
jbailey8 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply


Tags
holster, remora
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 18:51.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,326
388 Members
938 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31