SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-20-2011, 14:29   #1
Shipwreck-The-Sequel
Beretta 92 Nut!

Sold my Ed Brown

Yes, I know you fellow 1911 fans will say I lost my mind. But I sold it today - I had it up for $1800.

I was gonna have to send it off to get the trigger made a tiny bit heavier (I wanted a 4.5 lb trigger). I also irritatingly scratched the slide with another gun in the safe - If I was gonna send it off anyway - I was gonna pay the $50 to get the slide bead blasted..

Plus, I found that I much prefer the grip safety of my Custom Shop Springfield to the feel of the Brown. In a 1 handed grip, the Shape of the Springer grip safety is my preference to all others...

So, my 9mm Custom Shop Full Rail Operator is my only 1911 for now. I'm not in 1911 mode right now - got the Beretta bug. I plan to use the money to pay off my latest gun purchases, and buy a 45 cal cougar and another Beretta. With the extra $, I'll buy an Ipad2.

I kept my mags and my Dawson Toolless Guiderod. Everytime I sell accessories, I end up buying the stuff again a year or two later. I'm sure I'll own another 45 cal 1911 one day - so I'll hold onto that....

Last edited by Shipwreck-The-Sequel; 03-20-2011 at 14:31..
Shipwreck-The-Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 14:39   #2
MD357

You sold an Ed Brown to shoot Berettas? Man card please....
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 14:43   #3
Hokie1911
><><><><><

Hokie1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 14:52   #4
knedrgr

DAMN, you're on a roll...down hill.
COTEFT #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

knedrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 14:52   #5
DAT85

Traded a Series 70 Nickle Colt with $ for a new HK45.
Caught a lot of grief from my friends,but what the hell,variety is the spice of life.

Congrats,by the way,on the 92 compact.It's the only 92 that I would really like to own.

DAT85
DAT85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 15:02   #6
Wade-19

When you get completely away from 1911s, I got dibs on the full rail 9mm !!!
Old 03-20-2011, 15:19   #7
Quack
Rent this space

It's still not April 1st, so you are really dead to me now.

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 15:19   #8
Quack
Rent this space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade-19 View Post
When you get completely away from 1911s, I got dibs on the full rail 9mm !!!
dammit!!!! i guess second in line.

Old 03-20-2011, 15:20   #9
Quack
Rent this space

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT85 View Post
Traded a Series 70 Nickle Colt with $ for a new HK45.
Caught a lot of grief from my friends,but what the hell,variety is the spice of life.

Congrats,by the way,on the 92 compact.It's the only 92 that I would really like to own.

DAT85
Best Firearms in Painseville, OH has one for $575 NIB

Old 03-20-2011, 15:33   #10
Shipwreck-The-Sequel
Beretta 92 Nut!

Hahah.... I just find I prefer the DA/SA for carry and general defense use (and the Beretta 92 platform is the one gun that fits my hand perfectly in a 1 handed grip). And, while the Ed Brown is sweet - I preferred the feeling of the Springfield (1911 wise).

Anyway - if I ever get the bug again, I'll just buy a Springfield Pro...

But for now, its no big deal. Out of all the guns I have sold - I only regret selling 1. It happens to be a 1911, but it is a model no longer made. If I ever wanted another Brown - I can go get one for the same price I paid for the one I sold. So, I don't feel bad.

I tend to ebb and flow in different gun brands/styles. I've had a few 1911 spells (had Glock spells, rifle spells, etc), and I probably will have another in the future. For now, I like my Berettas.

And, while I own around 11 handguns right now, I've actually just purchased gun #51 (since 1993) with that second Beretta compact. Out of all that time, there is only one I regret selling. So, that's not too bad...

I've actually run thru about everything that interests me. After the next 2 planned purchases (that I have the $ for) - I think that I am ACTUALLY ready to call it quit... for the time being anyway. I'm ALWAYS paying off or trying to obtain a gun... month after month after month - always chasing the next gun... and then the next and the next after that...

Well, I've pretty much owned everything except Sigs and CZs... Which never interested me... I've said it before... and then I find something else a month later. But, I think I really am done now.

I can actually have money to go shoot the guns I have more often instead of always buying the NEXT one I want

Last edited by Shipwreck-The-Sequel; 03-20-2011 at 15:39..
Old 03-20-2011, 15:37   #11
polizei1
It WAS Quack

Send a message via AIM to polizei1
Hrmmm.....wish I would have known this before I decided to send off my EMP! Maybe things would be different!

But seriously, Berretta's over 1911's? You're crazy...God I wish the military would dump these POS and go back to 1911's! I HATE them with a passion.
polizei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 15:42   #12
Shipwreck-The-Sequel
Beretta 92 Nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizei1 View Post
Hrmmm.....wish I would have known this before I decided to send off my EMP! Maybe things would be different!

But seriously, Berretta's over 1911's? You're crazy...God I wish the military would dump these POS and go back to 1911's! I HATE them with a passion.
I've heard stories on forums of army armorers using Berettas as hammers to knock things into the ground or other stuff... Then people wonder later why the gun doesn't work. And, the military is too cheap to buy factory mags, even to this day.

Maintain the gun right, and it's a great design that is pretty much trouble free.

I think people would be complaining about Sigs if the Sig226 had been chosen. Whatever it was that replaced the 1911 would have been the target.

But no matter - we all have our preferences.

Last edited by Shipwreck-The-Sequel; 03-20-2011 at 16:20..
Old 03-20-2011, 16:14   #13
oldsoldier

I don't blame you for getting rid of the gun if it doesn't work for you. They're just tools so why not sell or trade for something else you want. I have added a couple more 1911s to my safe in the past 4 months though.
oldsoldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 16:25   #14
polizei1
It WAS Quack

Send a message via AIM to polizei1
Well, I'm not in the army, but that does not surprise me, at all. You should see the picture of some army guy who decided to was a smart idea to try and pound in a pin on a .50 cal, by hitting it with a live .50 cal round. Yea, needless to say, he hit the pin with the primer and it destroyed his hand.

WARNING: GRAPHIC

Wait, here it is: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1048331

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-...osion-memo.jpg

Last edited by polizei1; 03-20-2011 at 16:29..
polizei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 16:26   #15
PhotoFeller

Shipwreck-

Just so these guys will have someone else to kick around, I plan to sell my new Thunder Ranch Special. I've had it only about six months, fired only about 100 rounds through it, but it didn't satisfy the itch as I thought it would.

The 1911 bug haunted me for a long time because of the history and the hype, so I finally gave in. In addition to the TRS, I bought a Colt and a Sig. They are fun to shoot and I still have a fascination for the 1911's history. However, the size and weight make the TRS and Colt uncomfortable for me to carry.

1911 detail stripping is a pain, and any reassembly runs the risk of an idiot scratch; I won't risk scratching a gun that cost over $1800. I know, it's just a tool, so rough it up and get over the girlyman whining. For me, it's easier to sell the TRS and the Sig, and keep the Colt as a 'need-to-own-at-least-one' gun. Sorry, my TRS ties up too much money to lie around in my safe looking really great.
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 16:46   #16
Hokie1911
><><><><><

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizei1 View Post
Well, I'm not in the army, but that does not surprise me, at all. You should see the picture of some army guy who decided to was a smart idea to try and pound in a pin on a .50 cal, by hitting it with a live .50 cal round. Yea, needless to say, he hit the pin with the primer and it destroyed his hand.

WARNING: GRAPHIC

Wait, here it is: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1048331

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-...osion-memo.jpg
Oh man, that will just ruin your day.
Old 03-20-2011, 16:46   #17
Shipwreck-The-Sequel
Beretta 92 Nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
Shipwreck-

1911 detail stripping is a pain, and any reassembly runs the risk of an idiot scratch; I won't risk scratching a gun that cost over $1800. I know, it's just a tool, so rough it up and get over the girlyman whining. For me, it's easier to sell the TRS and the Sig, and keep the Colt as a 'need-to-own-at-least-one' gun. Sorry, my TRS ties up too much money to lie around in my safe looking really great.
Thanks...

I hear ya. Thankfully, my Brown's slide stop went in easily. But the slide stop on my $3k Springfield is a bear to get in. I have to use a piece of plastic I bought (specifically made to prevent idiot scratches) EVERYtime I put it back together. I never clean that 1 gun at the range because I want to be extra careful.

Old 03-20-2011, 16:47   #18
Hokie1911
><><><><><

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
Shipwreck-

Just so these guys will have someone else to kick around, I plan to sell my new Thunder Ranch Special. I've had it only about six months, fired only about 100 rounds through it, but it didn't satisfy the itch as I thought it would.

The 1911 bug haunted me for a long time because of the history and the hype, so I finally gave in. In addition to the TRS, I bought a Colt and a Sig. They are fun to shoot and I still have a fascination for the 1911's history. However, the size and weight make the TRS and Colt uncomfortable for me to carry.

You should have no problem unloading a TRS.
Old 03-20-2011, 16:53   #19
Shipwreck-The-Sequel
Beretta 92 Nut!

Well, I wasn't carrying the Brown, but seriously considered it at 1 point. I even thought about sending it off for Gen 3 refinishing, so I could carry it. But, I never did and I'm glad. In my hand, it just didn't fit me as well as I liked. I wasn't as comfortable with it as I wanted to be...

Knock me all ya want, but I prefer the feeling of a 92 in my hand. But, out of all the 1911s I have owned, Springfields feel the best to me. It's just too bad that the triggers always suck on the standard production models.

If the gun wasn't so damn heavy and had I gone with a finish besides hard chrome, I probably would have tried carrying the Operator for at least a little while...

The new models of S&W's with serrations on the top and rear of the slide look pretty cool. I can see maybe buying one of those down th eline if the 1911 bug ever bights.

And, I still have my 1 killer 1911

Last edited by Shipwreck-The-Sequel; 03-20-2011 at 16:54..
Old 03-20-2011, 17:57   #20
OVERTHEHILLGUY

Omg..omg ....you did what????? Wad up wit dat?
OVERTHEHILLGUY is offline   Reply With Quote