SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-20-2011, 19:38   #1
triehl27

REVIEW: Henry Survival Rifle And ammo tests

Review of the Henry Survival Rifle.

RIFLE: Stock Black take down Rifle. Only mod would be a slight camber on the barrel feed edge to take off the sharp lower edge.
Magazine: 8 rnd detachable

Testing:
16rnds at an 8 Inch target set 50yds from the bench.

AMMO:

- Am Eagle 40grn solid
- AM Eagle 38grn HP
- Federal standard velocity blue box 40grn
- Federal Lightning 40grn HP
- Rem Gameload
- Rem Thunderbolt
- Rem Golden bullet
- Rem Viper 33grn
- Rem Yellow Jacket 33grn hp
- Rem CBee 33grn subsonic hp
- CCI Blazer standard Black Box 40grn
- CCI Stinger
- CCI Mini Mag
- Winchester wildcat
- Winchester Xpert hp (flying ashtray of the 22 hp's)

Results:
2 8rnd groups fired for each ammo (except where noted)
- Am Eagle 40grn solid - 1.5 inches group in the 10 ring, 5 touching

- AM Eagle 38grn HP - 2.5" group in the red, high in the 10ring

- Federal standard velocity blue box 40grn - 2X2 group, 2 inches left of red, touching the 10 ring

- Federal Lightning 40grn HP - 2X2" group, 1.5 inches left and low, 2 key holed,

- Rem Gameload - 2X3" group, High and left of red

- Rem Thunderbolt - Jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam (Get it? the rifle didn't like the ammo.)
3X4in pattern over the target

- Rem Golden bullet - 1.5 group in the red.

- Rem Viper 33grn - Jam jam jam. 4X2inch group low of the red

- Rem Yellow Jacket 33grn hp - Jam jam jam 6X6 inch group all over

- Rem CBee 33grn subsonic hp - will not cycle action, again hard to feed, not grouping, as only 3 rnds were fired and all over the target.

- CCI Blazer standard Black Box 40grn - .75" - 3/4" w/1flyer(my fault) group!!! in the red. 3
groups were fired, 2 8rnds groups and 1 16 rnd group. none measured over 1"

- CCI Stinger - Jammed and bound up the gun good on rnd 5. No group only 2 out of 5 hit the target. Absolutely filthy ammo in this gun. Would not ever fire it again. and I should have stopped and cleaned after these rnds but didn't have my kit with me.

- CCI Mini Mag 40grn plated solid- 1.0" Group cycled perfect.

- Winchester Wildcat 40grn Solid - 2" group in the red

- Winchester Xpert lead hp (flying ashtray of the 22 hp's) - Again wouldn't cycle reliablly. All over the target and many keey holed.

Summery:
All groups were fired at 50yds with just the stock peep sight, but off the bench rest.
My number 1 choice right now is the cheapo CCI Blazer 40 grn solids.
My number 2 choice is the CCI Mini Mag solids
My number 3 would be the AM Eagle 40grn solids.

Hyper Velocity ammo performed uniformly poor in this rifle. The best group cam from Rem Viper at a 4X2 group, low of the red. Al others were larger groups or off the target

The Standard Velocity ammos all fed fine except were noted.

Round nosed ammo fed fine, truncated cones jammed almost every time except for one magazine early on.

OF NOTE:
There was no cleaning in between rounds or brands. And many of the other 40 grn solids other then the CCI Blazer came later in the testing, when the rifle was considerably dirty, as another shooter brought then over to add to the test. When I run this test again I would like to clean in between brands, as it does seem to make a significant difference in other rifles I have tested. The Federals, Am Eagle, and Wildcats were the last to be fired and the rifle was extremely dirty by that point. Those 5 I would like to reshoot next time in a cleaner barrel. I am confidant that they will perform better. Am Eagle has always shot well for me in other rifles.

Confidence in the Rifle: HIGH! I have no doubt that I could take grouse or pheasant, squirrel of rabbit with this rifle in the field.

Secondary testing

Accuracy:
When dirty does seem to degrade, although I did not have enough CCI Blazer to retest it at the end. The final 4 rnds of CCI Blazer I had were still all in the red, a bit lower and not touching as the earlier groups were. Again more testing with better equipment is needed to judge this. Although I would not hesitate to take a shot at small game whether the rifle was dirty or clean with a high confidence of a 1 shot drop. It just seems that accurate to me

Reliability:
Only issue that cropped up was the barrel loosened about half way through and the groups spread vertically up to 6". I re-tightened the barrel and re-shot the prior 3 brands. No other issues except certain shaped bullets or the longer stingers were encountered.

Repeatability: Before shooting the groups I assembled and shot a 4 shot group, disassembled, then reassemble, re-shot the 4 shot group. This I repeated for 3 cycles, with no difference in point of impact. I would judge the repeatability as good.

"Standing or sitting when not lying down."

Actually in all truth, my boss doesn't know his own position, and since he's had it for 10 years he won't ask his boss what he actually is supposed to do.

Greatest Quote EVER:(In regards to Gecko_45's diatribe on body armor)
"If plan A is to take multiple rounds of .308 in your back, I'd come up with a Plan B"
triehl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 20:46   #2
mac66
Plant the seed

That is the most comprehensive ammo test of an AR7 I've ever seen. Good job.

I find it hard to believe that gun will shoot 1.5" groups at 50 yards let alone with factory sights but you certainly seem to be able to do it.

I am going to have to dig my old Charter Arms version out and see what it will do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 20:54   #3
triehl27

Mac:
First please realize that that was done from a well sandbagged rest. I have no hope of repeating it free standing for 8 straight shots.

The second, to get the repeatability I found I had to take the pressure from the bolt off the barrel as I screwed it in. So retracting the bolt while attaching the barrel seemed to aid the accuracy.

When I get around to getting the scanner going i'll add some of the targets to the review.

Over all I am very impressed with the rifle. I will now pack it everywhere.

I have added tonight a Eagle Stock pack. Because I can't utilize the around the read of the stock strap I added a 2X3" piece of male velcro to the upper right side of the stock that locks into the packs female loops on the back side.

This pack will allow the carrying of 2 additional mags and 100rnds am ammo and a basic folding tool also.

Actually in all truth, my boss doesn't know his own position, and since he's had it for 10 years he won't ask his boss what he actually is supposed to do.

"If plan A is to take multiple rounds of .308 in your back, I'd come up with a Plan B"
Old 03-21-2011, 09:02   #4
XNDR17C
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triehl27 View Post
Mac:
The second, to get the repeatability I found I had to take the pressure from the bolt off the barrel as I screwed it in. So retracting the bolt while attaching the barrel seemed to aid the accuracy.

This should be something that should be stated in the owners manual. My brother has a 4 year old model and has also found this to be true. Also his gun functions badly with hyper-velocity ammo. It seems to function best with Mini-mags. The owners manual says to use standard or high velocity, but says nothing at all about using or not using hyper velocity.

A very good and enjoyable review. I've been considering buying Henry's Survival rifle.
I do have two questions, is your rifle one of the latest versions (with the scope rail atop the receiver) and do you hand tighten the barrel nut or do you use a tool?

Last edited by XNDR17C; 03-21-2011 at 09:06..
XNDR17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:40   #5
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by triehl27 View Post
Mac:
First please realize that that was done from a well sandbagged rest. I have no hope of repeating it free standing for 8 straight shots.

When I get around to getting the scanner going i'll add some of the targets to the review.

Over all I am very impressed with the rifle. I will now pack it everywhere.

I have added tonight a Eagle Stock pack. Because I can't utilize the around the read of the stock strap I added a 2X3" piece of male velcro to the upper right side of the stock that locks into the packs female loops on the back side.

This pack will allow the carrying of 2 additional mags and 100rnds am ammo and a basic folding tool also.

I wasn't questioning your ability just Henry's The stock sucks, the trigger's suck, the rear peep isn't too bad but the front sight sucks.
Those groups are astonishing to me.

My understanding is that those Henry's have plastic barrels with a steel liner. My Charter Arms has an aluminum barrel with steel liner and is lucky to get 5-6". Looks like I got some range work to do.

Still the best review I've ever read. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by mac66; 03-21-2011 at 09:45..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 14:19   #6
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Worthwhile read,thanks.'08.

I run pmc moderator in ours,it's under a inch at 50yds,it won't cycle the gun though.1 shot = 1 wabbit.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 14:39   #7
James Markov

Excellent review! Any pics?
James Markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 13:13   #8
FLuXmr2spyder
Pinoy Glocker

Send a message via AIM to FLuXmr2spyder

this is a very cool plinker!!!!

and this:
FLuXmr2spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 13:16   #9
1 old 0311

Is this with the orange insert in the buttstock or the older black? I have read the newer, orange, is a LOT better.
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:00   #10
FLuXmr2spyder
Pinoy Glocker

quick question: can you add a sling to this, either factory or aftermarket...that would seal the deal for me

thanks

btw: i saw this video on you tube, he said he modified the recoil springs so the rifle can now cycle even subsonic ammo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Tl_QXzAco

and this:

Last edited by FLuXmr2spyder; 03-23-2011 at 10:03..
Old 03-23-2011, 11:40   #11
triehl27

No this is one of the last older models. I posted up a thread about it. I got it while on vacation, and never checked the box til I got home. Needless to say I thought I was getting a new model, but got the black instead.

I had heard such horror stories about the AR-7 I really wasn't expecting much out of it, and certainly not the perfomance I am getting out of it. I am beside myself happy with it's performance.

Old 03-23-2011, 15:01   #12
FLuXmr2spyder
Pinoy Glocker

i have a chance to snag up a new ORANGE model for $250...good price?

and this:
Old 03-29-2011, 09:30   #13
BigLaw

I've got one thats 3 yrs old. I keep it in the Rhino for playing around when I'm out riding, or in case I run across a bear. It is accurate and reliable.

Last edited by BigLaw; 03-29-2011 at 09:32..
BigLaw is offline   Reply With Quote