SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-24-2011, 00:32   #1
pal2511

Send a message via AIM to pal2511
Aimpoint patrol rifle optics vs Eotech xps

It's down to the Aimpoint PAtrol Rifle Optics pro or the Eotech XPS for some new optics.

Currently I'm rolling with a standard Bushmaster dissapator with removable carrying handle so I would like to get some optics.

What do you guys think? The aimpoint looks relatively new.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/AIM12841.aspx
Old 06-24-2011, 00:38   #2
mhw169

I use the Eotech XPS and really like it. I have had absolutely no problems with it. Easy to sight in and holds zero. I think the older Eotechs with the AA batteries had some issues but the ones with the CR123 batteries work great. I havent used any of the Aimpoints so I cant compare but I really like the Eotech. If your a firearms Instrucor for your department get a hold of customer service with Eotech and they will send you a discount form. Great prices. $365 I think.
mhw169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 00:43   #3
pal2511

Send a message via AIM to pal2511
nope not a firearms instructor. The aimpoint is about 390 so it is very close in price and actually cheaper than the eotech.. I like the longer battery life on the aimpoint also. The 2 things i like about the eotech are they are smaller and the brighter ring.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:57   #4
jedi573

Send a message via AIM to jedi573
I'm a fan of the Aimpoint; I have a ML3 on my patrol rifle. Most of my co-workers have EoTechs.

You'll hear a lot of back-and-forth on how the sight picture differs between the two. I prefer the Aimpoint for its simplicity.

However, the big issue for me is the battery life. I turn on the Aimpoint and just keep it on. Replacing the battery every year or two is conservative.

The EoTech's battery life is much, much shorter. I was out on a call with a teammate who had his EoTech-equipped rifle out. As we were walking back to our cars at its conclusion, he looked through his sight and commented, "Oh, it shut off. It must have just done that; I had set it on for eight hours before the shift started."

With the Aimpoint, there's no concern about whether it's always on, or sometimes on, or set to turn off after four or eight hours, etc. That alone is a huge selling point for me.

Hope that helps.

Andy
jedi573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:02   #5
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

The transverse battery EOTech (any of the XPS series) are the way to go if you go that route. You may consider seeing if somebody that you know that has an insturctor certification will buy it for you on the discount program. It's not what it used to be, but it's easily 20%-30% (IIRC).

The Aimpoints are generally better on battery life and better on durability, but the transverse battery mounting on the XPS EOTechs helps close that gap somewhat.

My personal preference is the EXPS 3-0, which has the built in 7mm riser (lower 1/3 cowitness with the irons). I chose it to replace my 552 because of the smaller size, transverse battery, CR123 batteries that are compatible with other gear (although AA is still obviously a common battery), and preference for the EOTech reticle. I think the A65 reticle is a good balance of CQB and precision. If I was getting an Aimpoint, I would be inclined to go with a model with a 2 MOA dot.

All of that said, the Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic (PRO) is priced right and well suited for LE, too.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:07   #6
siblueg
Gray Area

Prefer the exps over the aimpoint. If I were going to have an aimpoint it would be a t1.
siblueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:47   #7
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

I've used both EOTech 512 and Aimpoint Comps. I really like the the reticle on the EOTech; mine had the 1 MOA dot and 65 MOA ring.

But the battery life and ruggedness of the Aimpoint finally won out, and that's what I've settled on. Like everything else in the arsenal, reliability is the leading factor for me.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 13:41   #8
collim1
Shower Time!

Am I the only one that uses the standard aperture sights anymore? All I add to my patrol carbine is a light and tape switch.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 14:19   #9
FiremanMike
Way too busy

The always-on nature of the aimpoint makes it much more suitable for patrol than the EOTech. If this is an entry rifle, get the eotech, if it's a patrol rifle, the aimpoint is one less thing you need to do when deploying from a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 17:57   #10
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

In all the years I have used both, I have yet to have an EOTech survive the battery life scale. Heck, let alone survive for me.

This has been discussed over at Lightfighter as well. Worth taking a look there as well.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 00:35   #11
Jayman
Big Dummy

Send a message via AIM to Jayman
For a patrol rifle that will sit in a bag, only occasionally maintained, and rarely PMed, I say the Aimpoint is the only way to go. I've seen EOTECHs fail due to dead batteries or getting beat on, I've never seen an Aimpoint fail from the same level of abuse/neglect. I've got one of the older EOTECHs, and an Aimpoint Comp M4S. The presentation of the EOTECH is a bit nicer, but the Aimpoint is king in terms of durability and battery life. And for patrol work, that's the end all be all, IMHO....
Jayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:56   #12
doneroman
SheepDogs-R-Us

Aimpoint, based on battery issues.
doneroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:41   #13
redbrd

While I haven't used the XPS I have used the 552 and Aimpont (M68). I prefer the EOtech for CQB. The EOtech is much more forgiving to shoot quickly and from uncomfortable/unconventional shooting positions.
redbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:14   #14
FiremanMike
Way too busy

In fairness to those discussing battery issues, one should make a habit of switching out their batteries on a regular basis. It really doesn't cost that much and it's certainly worth it to have absolute confidence that your batteries aren't dead.
Quote:
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:35   #15
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanMike View Post
In fairness to those discussing battery issues, one should make a habit of switching out their batteries on a regular basis. It really doesn't cost that much and it's certainly worth it to have absolute confidence that your batteries aren't dead.
Lessee....50,000 divided by 24....

I can switch my Aimpoint batteries every presidential election, leave the sight on constantly between campaigns, and still stay in the green. Pick the rifle up at any point on that trail and it's automatically ready to go. I'm good with that.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:16   #16
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Oh sure I'm with you.. I guess I was more assuming people were mentioning batteries and equating it to reliability..

I'm definitely a fan of the aimpoint for many reasons..
Quote:
Old 06-26-2011, 14:41   #17
boomhower

I went with the Aimpoint Pro. For me the battery life and reliability was the deciding factors. Set it and forget it was very appealing. Change the batteries once a year and you'll be overkill but on the safe side. EOTECH's are fine but I see a whole lot of people complaining of various issues with even the new EO's but rarely see anything with Aimpoint's. The only way I will go away from the Pro is if they come out with a 2MOA version of the mini's.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote